Save Camp Onway

Hello All,

Camp Onway, a Boy Scout camp that has been in operation since 1929 as part of the Yankee Clipper Council, is about to be sold. This is wrong and detrimental to the scouting program! I ask that you visit http://www.savecamponway.com and sign the petition to save the camp. The Yankee Clipper Councils executive board is planning to vote on selling the camp on March 22. Please help us preserve a scouting treasure for our council. You can also email your Name and where your from to Matt_Augeri@comcast.net and tell him to add it to the petition. Please help us in our endeavor to save a beloved camp. Thanks!!

I hate to break bad news to you, but a shotgun blast of Scouters from around the Nation are not going to matter a hoot and a holler.

Your organization efforts need to be focused at the Chartered Partners of your council. They need to be calling for a special business meeting, NOT letting the Executive Board make this decision.

The institutions of your area who license (charter) Scouting from your Council are the folks who matter in this!!!

YIS

I hear you!! And the "savecamponway.com" group is doing much more then a petition to save the camp. The petition is merely a way for those who don't have a say, (like the general public) to show some support. I agree with the chartered organizations, however the Exec board already stated that the chartered representatives can't vote! It is hard to change this, but the chartered organizations are aware of the situation. However when it comes down to it it is the boy scouts who are really being affected by this sale, and it is sad that they have no say in what happens. Thanks for your comments!

Yours in scouting

svendzoid, Welcome to the forums. I started a similar thread this morning under council relations. Last I heard before this the YCC wanted to close and sell Lone Tree. Can you enlighten me as to the change? Thanks, Local in the North Woods.

I also sent you a message local1400,

Hi, thanks for your concern. The ycc has decided to sell onway (well will vote on march 22) because of a recommendation by the properties studies committee which determined that out of the three camps the ycc owns, (Wah-tut-ca, Onway, lone tree...Lone tree is the only camp located within the council boarders!) Onway was the best one to sell. ( you can view the report at www.savecamponway.com , look on the left hand side menu bar thing) it basically comes down to attendance which has decreased at onway, but so have the number of weeks it has been open! Please feel free to explore the savecamponway.com website as it has lots of information regarding the sale. And I ask you to please sign the petition!! This is the easiest way to show your support of saving Onway. Also, if you feel up to it, email a letter of concern to the executive board. There is a link to their email address at the website. Thanks for your interest in preserving a wonderful asset to the Yankee Clipper Council.

On a side note, if the exec board does decide to sell onway on March 22nd (god forbid!) Onway will still have its 2007 summer season with the Mormon church taking over at the end of the summer. I invite you to come visit us at Onway this Summer!! This camp has been serving scouts since 1929 and I hope it continues for years to come.

Yours in Scouting

Are we sure that this is not someone at council's scheme to save camp onway as the Mormon or LDS church is the largest charterer of Troops by far in the country. The church as a major promoter of scouting may be willing to buy the property to insure that it's units have a camp to go to. They also run their scout program slightly different from the rest of us so may reserve some weekends and even their own week of summer camp. My only contact with LDS troops has been at roundtable but most of them are dedicated scouters.

I can assure you that I am an eagle scout, who is currently an assistant scoutmaster. I am also in my sophomore year of college, and am in no way shape or form a part of a council scheme.

I am merely a scouter who wishes to raise awareness to the fact that numerous scout camps (including Onway) are being sold, which in turn is damaging the scouting program.

I recognize that the Mormon church is actively involved in scouts. However they have expressed that they wish to turn this camp in to a Girls religious camp, not preserve it as a boy scout camp. (this was reported by our council) The Mormons have in the past rented the camp out for a week to carry out their own program, and scout troops from various Mormon churches have attended camp during its regular summer sessions. However, if they purchase the land, they will only allow the boys scouts to use the camp for one week during the summer, and various weekends throughout the year. Meaning that the boy scouts will not be able to have their regular summer program at this camp.

I hope this clears anything up. If you wish to learn more about this entire situation please go to www.savecamponway.com :there you can find the letter of intent from the Mormon church as well as numerous other informative documents pertaining to the possible Sale of Camp Onway!

Yours in scouting!

svendzoid,

I understand your concern and I'd be unhappy if my council decided to sell one of our proerties too. However, I won't fight it if and when the day comes. Everyone has property that has sentimental value to them regardless of whether it is a camp, school, church or home. The city for whatever reasons determined that my old high school had outlived its usefullness after only 53 years. They built a new school on the back of the property, moved in after Christmas break and are in the process of demolishing the old building. The church that I attended the first 30 years of my life just shut down on December 31st, sold their property and started a storefront church miles away under a new name. Their membership had declined to a point that they couldn't afford to pay utilities. The building will be demolished for new commercial construction. The church summer camp I attended as a youth and have many fond memories of is still going strong. But the open air tabernacle where worship services were held for decades was recently torn down and a new indoor, air conditioned, cushioned seat worship center has been opened. These are all changes that I personally don't like as each instance holds many memories or good times, friends, girlfriends, etc. Time marches on.

I looked back at last years calendar and our troop utilized scout camps two times. Once was Webelos Woods and the other was summer camp and that was at an out of council scout camp. I understand your sentimental attachment to your council camp, but losing it should have an almost nil effect on being able to deliver scouting to the youth of your council. Keeping it open and continuing to sink money you don't have into it may very well threaten the existence of your council which would have a serious effect on the youth.

Good luck!

svendzoid,

Welcome to the forums.

I think I feel your pain.

In the past I have read in the forum of the sale of Council properties, which have not been managed as they should be.

Like Beav posts, we the unit leaders hate to see places and things we love, not be there anymore!

This is made worse when the sale isn't done as it should be.

I have never been to Camp Onway and at this time have a feeling I never will. It never has been on my "Must Visit List".

It is a shame when it seems that the management of the Council seems to be a "Them And Us".

We after all are the Council.

The system is in place that we are or have representation on the Executive Board.

COR's vote the board into office and District Chairpersons are on the board to represent the District and the feelings of the District.

The has been times when I was a District Chair, when I had to put my feelings aside and push for what the District wanted.

I'm not going to sign the petition, because I feel I don't know all the details, not just about the camp, but all the reasons why the camp is for sale or the state of the Council.

The members of the Board are there in office to do what is for the best and in the best interest of the Council.

I really don't see that some guy with a funny name in SW Pennsylvania is going to make any difference.

I do hope that no matter what the final outcome is? That this doesn't become something which is going to split the Council and end up harming the people we are supposed to be serving.

Eamonn.

Yah, Svendzoid. It's always hard to hear about the sale of program resources, especially camps. Despite the actions in some councils like Chicago, which are despicable, there can be good reasons and OK ways for a council to sell a camp.

As close as I can tell from your site, your council is tryin' to be prudent. The contract establishes a partnership which calls for joint use for at least 5 years, so Boy Scouts still have access year-round. And the contract calls for a right of first refusal for 15 years, so if they wanted to re-sell or subdivide the camp the YCC could buy it back.

This might not be so bad, eh? Depends on what they use the $ for.

If da good volunteers in your area really want to block this, sellin' patches and signin' petitions isn't going to do it. Yeh have to get 20% (or whatever it is) of the council membership (COR's primarily, since your MAL's are more likely to support the sale) to immediately petition for a special meeting of the council. The sole business of the special meeting should be an amendment to the Articles of Incorporation (not the Bylaws) that requires any contract for the sale of real property to be approved by the active members of the council at a regular meeting. Yah, and perhaps stipulations on the use of the proceeds.

I think such a provision is good policy anyway, eh? All councils should change their Articles to require the full council membership to approve before selling a camp. Makes sure there's no funny business, and makes sure the issue gets a full, fair hearin'. Saves you from a lot of ill will and bad PR that can last for decades.

Eamonn ---- Thank you for your views! And yes your name would mean the world to this cause! As now we have redirected ourselves to not only save Camp Onway, but to also ensure that no other Camp in the council is sold. You might not know all the details, however if you feel strongly about saving a camp then I would ask you to sign the petition. Our voices are many. Our mission is clear. Our message is strong. Remember our Past. Preserve Our Future.

Beavah --- Your input is greatly appreciated. I am sending a copy of your post to the "leader" of the Save Our Camps campaign. I hope we can use your idea. I also ask that you sign the petition located at www.savecamponway.com to support our cause. (the choice is yours!)

Also, If anyone would like to see a news clip related to this issue from WMUR please go here: http://www.wmur.com/video/11087827/index.html

Yours in Scouting

• 1 month later...

From The Eagle-Tribune of North Andover, MA

"They came singing from the building, mourning the loss of their summer

home.

'By old Onway Lake,' came the somber first verse. 'There's a place we

love to linger, just for old times' sake.'

Linger no more.

Thursday night, the executive board of the Boy Scouts of America Yankee

Clipper Council voted 26-10 to sell Camp Onway, the Raymond, N.H.,

summer camp run by the Scouts since 1929."

http://www.eagletri bune.com/ archivesearch/ local_story_ 082115528