I can't speak about the financial particulars, but I can say with some authority that AED's DO belong at scout camps, in churches, shopping malls, airports, and other places of public assembly - unless you happen to keep an ALS on unit on standby at all these places ;-). Having one available at district and council events would be a particularly progressive move, IMO.

Some models can be had for as little as $900, but there is an ongoing maintenance requirement (annually). Additionally, some models require a prescription, while others can be purchased over the counter.

Whether or not the financials can be worked out in ASM416's case, it's still a subject worthy of pursuing by other avenues.

I don't think anyone will dispute the value of an AED. But I have to agree with the others. An event such as a Camporee should be a "break even" proposition, not a fundraiser, unless it is billed as such up front. If everyone thought they were contributing to buy an AED then the Council has an obligation to buy it. If not, then they deserve a rebate.

I haven't been around long enough to comment on the funding of AED's but...

How many of us have used a fire extinguisher in an emergency?

How many Fire extinguishers do you pass within 50 feet of in any given day?

Usually a fire extinguisher is there to preserve property because only very rarely are they a means of escape or accessed quickly enough to kill the fire before it is past their capability.

An AED is lifesaving equipment, and no amount of physical exercise or annual physicals precludes a heart attack - if you could I'd say ask Jim Fixx.

That said, the AED as lifesaving equipment does still require some (simple) training and a daily battery check. So who would hold it and what degree of availibilty would it have? Even where I work some are locked in offices or in file cabinets - frustrating.