• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Ed,

My information comes from too many years of obsessive research and from documents collected from archives worldwide. I've amassed over 11,000 pages of historical Scouting documents and 700+ books and magazines on Scouting's founding.

I think about Scouting history way more than I should and write about it probably too much also. I'll have a book out about the BSA's founding in late 2006.

You see, I have an understanding bride...

David C. Scott

OK, continuing the side-thread....

Ed, PBS had the Cream reunion on night before last - awesome, especially Clapton going nuts on Crossroads... I could listen to Clapton until the cows come home...

I had the honor of attending Sir Paul's concert back in November. Nothing compares to this guy.. he just loves what he's doing... and so did everyone else.. imagine 18,000 people singing 'Good Day Sunshine' all together!

Then the next week, I saw Metallica and the Rolling Stones live. I actually liked Metallica more than the Stones, but it was still a priviledge to see them going strong in their sixties.

So I severely strained my concert budget for the year, but hey, its 2006 tomorrow, and I already booked Aerosmith in Feb....

Gives a different meaning to the Rockin' Chair Patrol, now doesn't it?

Trevorum,

The last time I looked, Pennsylvania had 21 councils. How many do your data show? Several of Pennsylvania's councils cross state lines, so I guess it might depend on how you count.

I've often wished that National would create a big U.S. map that had outlines of all the councils and stick it up on the web. It's surprisingly (at least to me) difficult to find official council listings.

I like trivia, too...it would be interesting to know things like the largest council (population and/or area) and the smallest.

Oak Tree

I would also like to know where this kind of Scouting HIstory can be found. I know Chicago's number is 118 and thought it was one of the oldest. I don't recall ever hearing that we merged with anyone. We did change our name at one point from Chicago Council to Chicago Area Council to reflect that we covered more than just the city proper. I do know that our Camp Owasippe was formed in 1911 by the Chicago Boy Scouts. I don't however dispute the title of oldest council, I think Trevorum and Miki101 should be givin a "Class A" salute. Remebering where we came from helps us retain who we are as Scouters.

LongHaul

I saw Sir Paul when Linda was still alive. Also saw Clapton! He was the headliner for Todd Rundgren and The Band I did see that reunion show & and the Cream CD I was listening to was the one from that show!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed New Year to all

Greetings LongHaul,

Unfortunately the minutia of "who was first" etc. can only be found if one is diligently searching BSA's own archives. It is very, very difficult to be approved for research on that facility because there has to be a bonafide reason for letting that person in.

I would imagine that some bits of information could be used to cause pain and suffering to the BSA, (especially from the secular movement) and the gatekeepers are very aware of that.

The same can be said for getting into the archives of the British Scout Association. I had to be approved by their due diligence team also. They were hurt in the past by the Jeal book on Baden-Powell and they do not want that problem again.

Otherwise, keep googling and reading obscure scouting history books and magazine artciles and things will come to light.

David C. Scott

How did you guys find this info? I think it would be soooooo cool if they did have a US council map as Oak Tree suggested.

Miki101 with all the docs that you have you should write a book about Scouting History! I would love to read it!

The Council that I'm in, the Suffolk County Council was formed on April 6, 1919; it has it on their website as I wasn't even thought of since my grandmother was only 18 at the time!

As to the "side thread"! I love The Beatles, I still have the "Hard Days' Night album that I got for my 7th birthday in 1964! I do love Cream & Eric Clapton & at the wedding of one of my cousins my brothers & other cousins kept asking the band to play "Cocaine" & they finally did! No, I've never used cocaine or anything like that, I just love the song! I've never had the pleasure of attending their concerts though!

Happy New Year!

Judy

Thanks Judy,

My book is in peer review, which has been for the last 6 weeks. Alterations and chapter order are being fiddled with, then off to my agent for placement. Hopefully I'll have it out by October 30, the 100th anniversary of what should be considered the 100th anniversary of the "ligening bolt of inspiration" in the fertile mind of Baden-Powell.

Daivd C. Scott

David,

I was lucky enough to get a copy of a terrific council database compiled by a fellow patch collector. (I'm chagrined to admit I forget his name right now, but I have it on my computer at work). I'll send you a copy.

By the way, my compliments on several wonderful articles on the stamps and currency of Mafeking. Your work is meticulous and truly raises the bar for all. Thank you!

OakTree, I will check on Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure it is less than NY or TX. There were a bunch of mergers in the 90s. I'm not sure what the largest council is now, but it will very shortly be the one resulting from the announced merger of Southeast Alaska and Western Alaska. The smallest council is Piedmont, Calfornia.

Hi Trev,

I look forward to getting your sourcing! I appreciate your comments on my Mafeking articles in the ISCA Journals. I am finishing my last installment on those collectibles for March and am doing a bigger piece on Seton for the June offering.

I hope to raise the awareness for all.

David C. Scott