Too many positions for one leader?

I had 2 sons graduate from our Cub Scout pack. They both moved onto the Boy Scout troop.

I now have a Tiger Cub back in the pack. Since I now have boys in both programs and have to be at both Pack & Troop events, meetings , I decided to take on the following leadership responsibilities:

Trained Tiger Den Leader(Pack)

Pack-Troop Liason(Pack/Troop)

Den Chief Coordinator(Pack/Troop)

Trained Assistant Scoutmaster(Troop)

I have now been approached about taking on the role of Unit Commissioner for both the Pack & Troop(both are chartered by the same organization). I am reluctant because my primary focus is the Tiger Den Leader, then the Troop responsibilities.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, real life experiences on taking on another leadership role

If u take the UC job you'll have to give up all your other positions. Keep in mind to put your family first in making this decision. As a UC u go to a lot of meetings and District activities and may not spend the time u want with all 3 of your kids at their respected ages.

I'd recommend passing on it, but only you can be the judge. Another active thread regarding busy people contains the quote "if you want something done, ask a busy person to do it". But you can get too busy to be effective at any job.

Good luck.

My wonderfully wise mother use to say

"If you want something done ask the person that is the busiest. Because they have learned to manage their time." I always figure that we are the ones that have problems with a two letter word "NO".

Iknow that I do especially when it involved kids.

I too, would recommend passing on the UC position. Taking on a District position is a lot of extra work & you do not want to burn yourself out. Remember, this is supposed to be FUN!

Also, having a UC who is a member of the unit is a less that ideal situation. It severely cuts down on his ability to be objective & help the unit when needed.

Actually unless you are violation of the policies in the Guide to Safe Scouting you have two positions at this time.

Tiger Den Leader (pack)

Assistant Scoutmaster (troop)

The other two are not BSA positions but job responsibilities that can be assigned to a position such as the Assistant Scoutmaster, or a committee member.

As a unit leader, if your District follows the National rules, you are not eligible to be a unit commissioner.

You might just tell them that.

You might make a great Unit Commissioner (UC), but you need to devote a great deal of time to it. In Unit Commissioner Basic Training we spent some time explaining to new UCs that you should not be registered in other Scouting positions. Why? Because if you are doing the kind of professional job it takes you simply won't have enough time for anything else.

Why not wait until you own boys have graduated out of the various unit programs before undertaking such a big job.

I know from experience.

YIS, Jim Costello, Unit Commissioner, Great Sauk Trail Council #255, BSA, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Since you are a commissioner and trainer Ed I believe it would be far more beneficial to anyone with your responsibilities to be familiar with the entire content of the G2SS.

To that end I will once again post the BSA web site location of the current Guide to Safe Scouting and recommend that you familiarize yourself with the entire document rather that have me inform you of just one paragraph.

I am familiar with the G2SS & that is the reason I asked the question. So the exact place in the G2SS would be appreciated since I could not find anything about not holding 2 positions.

And, BTW, I am no longer a trainer. Was for 5+ years.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Under Youth Member Behavior Guidlines - Unti Responsibilities it states:

Each Cub Scout den and Webelos Scout den and each chartered Cub Scout pack, Boy Scout troop, Varsity Scout team, and Venturing crew shall have one leader, 21 years of age or older, who shall be registered and serve as the unit or den leader. A unit leader may not serve simultaneously in any other position within the same unit. The head of the chartered organization or chartered organization representative and the local council must approve the registration of the unit or den leader on the appropriate form.