Can you get moved to another council?

We have had another change in DE's. The last DE was here for about three years. Prior to his tenure, there were two in about eighteen months. Council has sold one of the local camps and cut a million dollars of timber from another camp. They are remodelling the council offices. The new DE insists that we should attend summer camp at the council camp of choice. That camp is about three hours drive and the service last year was so bad that many of the scouters have refused to consider attending again.

Tonight, I was told that the local scout shop is refusing to record advancement and other awards if the pack or troop does not buy the award locally. We have tried to buy our patches from the local shop but sometimes they are out and have no idea when the patches will arrive. If we buy the patch from a nearby council shop, the local shop does not recognize the award. One pack bought a quantity from another source and none of their awards are recorded this year. (I have not confirmed this with the CM.)

I am disgusted with the local council on several issues. I do realize that Scouts is a business to them but in my eyes they are stealing from the boys. I have considered seeking a charter from another council that covers an area less than twenty miles away. Has anyone else had this kind of problem develop?

If you can persuade the organization that charters the pack to move 20 miles down the road, changing councils is easy.

I think you will find that Councils track Cub Scouts as Bobcat and then just use the grade the Lad is in until he does or doesn't receive the Arrow of Light.

I have to admit to not knowing if Cub Scouts attending a resident Cub Scout camp are allowed to camp out of council or not? We never had it happen.

While sometimes it might be hard not to get caught up in the goings on of the council, the best thing for the boys that you serve is to focus on serving them.

You might want to check and see if your COR is attending the District Meetings? And attending the Council AGM.

Sad to say a lot of councils are finding it hard to make ends meet and are selling off property. There was a thread about this not so long back. I can see how watching a much loved camp be sold is painful and then seeing a new office would seem like rubbing salt into the wounds. Not knowing the local situation it would be wrong of me to pass any sort of judgment.

I sit on an area committee which serves 13 councils, of which four are having very serious financial problems. I think one of them isn't going to make it and they are so far in debt that no other council is going to want to merge with them.

Most councils do have a lot of wise and business savvy people who serve on the executive board, these people are trying almost every trick they know to keep councils solvent, at times digging really deep into their own personal funds. They do this in order that the important people such as yourself can do the really important job of serving the youth and hopefully attracting more youth into our programs.

Please don't give up the faith. Keep on delivering the program to the little fellows in the pack and let the other stuff work itself out. Most times it does.

Eamonn.

"Tonight, I was told that the local scout shop is refusing to record advancement and other awards if the pack or troop does not buy the award locally."

Who were you told this by? It sounds to me like a communication mixup. I would contact the shop personally to verify before doing anything. If they are indeed doing this, then I would contact your council Advancement Chair.

This is not that big a deal with Cubs (except for AOL), but Boy Scout rank advancement should be reported to National.

I live right on the border of two councils and our boys attend events on both sides and I have even gone over the border to get training that was not being offered locally at convenient times. I have been less than impressed by my district and when I compare the two councils, the other one always seems to be so much better organized and on-the-ball. I mentioned this in passing to a scouter in the other council at one event we attended and he seemed rather shocked. He was under the impression that OUR council was the one to be in because of our events. Seems like a case of "The grass is always greener..."

ScoutNut, the person who told me was the CM from our pack. I have not called to confirm this. I plan to contact the CM from another pack about this also.

The Troop CO is a volunteer group in the county. We could move the organization by changing the mailing address to a different member's house. The Pack is a different matter. They cannot move as easily.

Of course I really do not want to move but I want to send a message to this Council. If they are in such financial condition that they have to sell camps, maybe they should scale back on the new offices.

Your COR has a vote on the District Committee and Council Executive Board. Does he/she attend the meetings and voice your displeasure?

Not recording Scout ranks will become a serious issue when a young man files his Eagle application. If the right info is not in Scoutnet, National will not approve the application.

The way you describe the shop as not recording the awards sounds strange to me, and not allowable, but still, could you get around the problem like this? Buy a few extra awards at the nearby council shop, and keep them on hand. When any boy achieves rank, give him the award you have on hand, and turn in the advancement form to your local council, thereby refilling your supply.

Sure, it can cost you a few bucks in inventory lying around, but it can make your life easier.

Oak Tree

Scoutldr, the awards that we were discussing were for Cub Scouts. I have not heard about this problem with the Troop.

Oak Tree, there are lots of ways to make it work. I will pass along your suggestion.

This is why I love this forum. You all teach me so much.

"You might want to check and see if your COR is attending the District Meetings? And attending the Council AGM. "

I have been associated with four COs and this is the first time I have heard about the District Meeting. The current CO was not told about this.

Eamonn, I will take your advice and focus on the boys. Thanks.

I just spoke to our Council Advancement Chairman. Guess what. THEY CAN'T DO THIS.

It does not matter where you purchase your advancement supplies. AS LONG AS YOU TURN YOUR ADVANCEMENT REPORT YOUR COUNCIL HAS TO RECORD THAT INFORMATION.

The only exception to this is Quality Unit information.

She suggested that if you keep having trouble inform your Council office that you intend to contact National if they refuse to record your advancement information.

I know one SM that works in Dallas, He is 2 blocks from a Circle 10 Scout Shop. His troop is in Longhorn Council. Have never had one problem with advancement being recorded.

Like the gal I talked to. She said "As long as I get a completed Advancement Report, I record the information."