Not Sure I Can Take 253 More Days

Sad to have to say that our new DE and myself are not hitting it off.

He arrived in October and started the same day as the Field Director left. The new Field Director came on board a month later.

At this time we were busy with year end membership. This new DE was going to the Service Center everyday and doing nothing. I wasn't happy, but I thought things would get better when he had a boss and someone to give him some direction. The new FD arrived and still this DE was working 9 till 5 at the office, working is too strong a word. I started sending him E-mails asking him to get specific things done.

It seemed that the FD and the DE had no idea how to do anything with FOS and were not doing anything. So I took him by the hand and we got the FOS kick off done and out of the way.

He goes to PDL 1. He comes back telling me that he wants to work with Cub Camping. I explain that we as a District have volunteers that look after Cub Scout camping. He isn't happy.

We took a real hard hit last year losing seven units. Five Crews, One Troop and a special needs pack. He tells me that Crews are easy to start. I have been working on a crew in our local theater for about six months, they were playing around waiting till they hired a manager. They did an Ex ASM and Ex Cub Scouter. I make the appointment to make the "Sale" Him and his boss arrive nearly an hour late!! Blaming the half inch of snow. The sale is easy, I ask them to give the manager a new unit application, neither have the darn form!! DE tells the manager he will be back with the form and a Venturing Fast Start Video. This was in January. At the District meeting tonight I find out that he never went back.

About six weeks back I receive a flyer's in the mail telling me that the District is having an all Night Volley Ball night. He has booked it at a local sports center. The Crews that are active are already doing stuff on the date he picked. I inform him that things like this have to go through the District Activities Committee, about 18 people attend the volley ball thing and we lose $320.

The Activities Committee had a District Camporee planned for May at a local Gun Club. But again in the mail I get a notice that we are teaming up with another District for a Camporee. I can't remember when I was so darn mad.

Our Day Camp Director and him are good friends. The person who was in charge of program moved on. This means that we have to send the DE and the new Program person to camp school which stretches the budget, tonight I find that he has asked the Camp Director who has three years left on his certification to go with them.

This guy just doesn't get it and he is nearly pushed me over the edge.

Eamonn

Hey E!

Sounds like your at your whits end.

If the FD isn't doing anyting about this guy, what about the SE?

An old friend told me if there are problems, the a professional should handle professionals and a volunteer handles the volunteers.

E Man,

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Those guys are on burnout, and just don't know it. When things collapse around them, they will come running to you for help. And, they will collapse. In the mean time, just remember it is going to happen. Guys like that don't make it for long. In the mean time, get a copy of your favorite guidebook (activities, camp promotion, training, etc.) and make a few copies and then ask the new boy wonder to read it and explain to you how that is being implimented in your district. If he still won't see the roses, he won't make 253 more days, either.

I have gone at a few of these experiences that only are kind of like yours from a couple of different directions. During this last one, I told the involved parties that I have a limited lifetime and there are things that I love to do. One of the things that I enjoy is working with a group that wants my assistance. If a group asks for me, then I will be there to assist. Since the last group didn't ask, I told them that I have other things I love doing and that is where they will find me if they have the need. So, here I am. I already have enough frustration at my work to choke a good sized pig and Scouting is not going to take priority in that department. Good luck on your approach.

FB