District Nominating Committee

I am confused by a step in the nominating committee process: Why does the outgoing chairman have a say in the process at all? In my experience, that has proved disasterous, as those Chairmen who exercise that right the most are the ones who the Council/District wants to get rid of the most. They simply use their input on the process to derail things out of spite and/or stubborness. Ideally it would provide a smoother transition, but I just haven't seen any of that.

Most District Chairs serve a term of 3-5 years. Our Council goes with 3.

One thing that I seen as being very important was finding someone to take my place when my term was over.

I think way, way too much of the District and the people in it to do anything out of spite, I may well at times be very stubborn but I use that to help the District (At least I hope that I do!!) I want the transition from me to the next guy to be as smooth as possible. Right now he is serving as my Assistant. I really like him and will do everything I can to support him.

I may well be asked to serve on the Nominating Committee after my term is over. This isn't because of my extreme good looks, it is because I know people in the district. Not only Scouting types, but a good cross section of the community. I have owned a business in our area, been a member of different boards and committees and know how to ask people to do specific things that I think that they might do. The next District Chairman is not a Scouter, he is the president of my local small town bank. My Mother In Law was his Den Mother, he was never a Scout, but does have a son who is. His sister is a local attorney and she serves on the Council Executive Board. He isn't going to be as active at Scouting events as I am, but will bring a lot of his friends and people that he works with to the committee.

I can't help thinking that maybe Marcheck may have had a bad experience, but I would say that what he has experienced is not the rule.

Eamonn

It sounds like your district is not following the suggested BSA process. There is a publication named something like "District Nominating Committee Worksheet" available that talks about the whole process and the district chair isn't involved in selection. Another publication "The District" has a section on the annual election process too. I can get the pub numbers for you if you like. Anyone may suggest candidates to the nominating committee, but it is the committee that comes up with the slate of nominees to be voted on by the district committee members and CORs at the annual election.