Visits from District or Council

When I was cubmaster, our experience with B&G visits was better when the DE spoke less. Best when he wasn't there at all. I think there were two factors. First, they only spoke of needing more donations. Second, they seemed to have no skill whatsoever at public speaking. A couple of times we actually had families quit because of what was said (confided to me at a much later date). Recently, I heard the current cubmaster (a few generations down the road by now) mentioning that under no circumstance was the DE to be invited to the B&G. I guess things haven't changed much.

• 2 weeks later...

Our DE lives in our town.He has stopped in to just say Hi.Not in uniform.Last summer at camp he was there the same time as our troop the boys invited him to our camp to play spoons(a card game that is a staple at our campouts)The Boys always make a point of asking him if he's ready for a game.He's not here alot we have no problems with him showing up.The boys feel he is just another adult that cares about them.My sons say he rocks.

District exec?? Council? exec?? what are they???

heck the only time we here from council/district is when they want money...FOS etc...although we have seen a district comm., recently...'course he used to be our CC so he drops by to chat on the way home...

Just a few short years ago...

As a Unit Commissioner, I called before I showed up at the Unit meeting for my first visit. I wanted to meet the leaders and find out if I could help. It was interesting to see what else I observed. The Scouts were working on MB's. I thought to myself that was the program that they had chosen and it was of little consequence but kind of unusual. I met the leaders and they asked me to find out about some unnecessary assignment. I left and wrote down my observations.

I returned about two weeks later and told them what I had found out about their request. I noticed that two leaders were working at their computer registering the requirements the boys had completed and that two more MB classes were going on. I casually asked about the boy leadership in the Troop and was told that since the SM change there had not been enough time to hold an election for the last six months. Two adults were instructing the boys on the MB assignments and a couple of the older boys were taking others aside to complete the requirements.

I thought about what I had seen my second visit and figured that I had come in at the wrong time. I also wondered about the reason that it took six months to hold an election. I knew that this wasn't Iran and that such things as elections should not be that difficult to hold but then there could be some other reason.

I tried to call the COR to introduce myself and I left a message. I tried again later that week and still nothing. I waited another two weeks and since it was time for Recharter and I knew they must be having other problems because of the election delay, I would just volunteer to help out. I also wondered about the COR, so I showed up again for a brief visit. They said that they were getting their Recharter packet completed and I offered to do a Charter Review or come to the Committee meeting. They said that they were having trouble getting a committee together and that the person that was the COR was also the CC. He had been sick for a while and probably I had just missed him.

I gave everybody my UC card (*for the second time) and offered any assistance for a third time. I noticed again that there was a flurry of activity on MB work. It also occurred to me that the SM always had his briefcase open and he had been running the meeting out of that case each time I had come in to the meeting.

A week later, I got word from the DE that the COR had told her that she had promised him a visit from their UC and that he had not showed. I let the DE know about my visits and assured her that I had attempted phone contacts and had made unit visits. I called the COR again and left two more messages the next two weeks but without a return call.

I worried about the lack of communication and tried another visit with the SM. I wanted to ask if there was a problem and that I was willing to visit with any of the Committee or leaders any time to discuss any difficulties or just to talk about Scouting. Again, the SM was dutifully running the meeting from his briefcase when I showed and the usual MB classes were being held along with a few others doing their homework. I tried to find out about committee meetings but they said that had not met and most likely they would not need one for some time.

I reflected on my first visit and another idea hit me. They had been planning a unit fund raiser and they had casually asked me about how to do it and I told them to check with the DE. I knew they needed to fill out the proper forms and that they needed to get it approved but nothing registered until later.

The holidays came around and went. I got word by the grapevine that the SM had made off with the Troop's money and he had also tried to accuse one of the Scouts. Apparently, he had been carrying the proceeds of their fund raiser, their registration money and bank book around in his briefcase in his truck for several months. It had been too much of a temptation. The DE had been notified and it had all been taken care of by the time I had a clue. I had been left out of the loop and was not notified by the DE or the DC, I suppose nobody needed any help.

Looking back at the events, I should have pieced it all together. The SM running the Troop out of his briefcase, no boy leadership, no committee support, the flurry of the MB mill. The SM was not doing his job. The ASM's not doing their job. The committee was not doing their job. The boys were focused on one part of the Scouting program only. I could have easily predicted who would do what and how, only if. It was a game of CLUE and I had lost miserably.

The problem is that there were many other losers in this little game. The impact was felt for a long time in that unit and that district. I would continue making my visits and writing down my observations. I would be better prepared at doing my job in the future. I feel terrible that I could not have done my job better when that unit really needed me.

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)