Patch for District Members at Large

I was just assigned the post of Venturing chair for my district committee. I was told I was supposed to wear the District Committee patch on my uniform.

One of my friends is going to be a resource for my committee and district functions and was voted in as a District member at large. What patch does he wear on the shirt?

Thanks, I know it is uniform related but it does have to do with council and district relations.

Ok, I'm old...I'll admit it. They were for "Denner" and "Asst Denner". I believe in the 70's it was changed to a yellow shoulder cord (two cords for denner and one for asst) that could be easily removed and passed on to the next guy.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for your response. One more question please.

I was doing some research online about the District Member at Large position, and the job description. All the sites give diffrent info, and its confusing.

QUESTION: As a DMAL are you on the District Committee? Or are they a group of people registered with the district-who may be put on the District Committee.

Thank you in advance!

All members holding a registered District position (except of course specific positions such as District Chairman, District Commish), wear the "District Committee" patch in position 2, directly under the CSP, where the unit numerals would usually go. They do NOT wear unit numerals. Wear silver loops.

Thanks, Scoutldr.

I attended the District Picnic/elections last week. After the elections, I was looking through the list of District Members at Large, and found my name listed. First I'd heard of it!

I wear the uniform for my post as Troop Commmittee chair, but I'm also a UC, District Membership Chair and now Member At Large.

I need a short sleeved uniform anyway (and some shorts!), so I'm considering which way to go with a uniform for District type activities. I'd probably wear a District Membership Committee insignia if one is available, and a District Committee insignia if it's not.

My current uniform blouse is nearly 25 year old and getting a bit threadbare, although there was a 15 year gap when I wasn't in Scouting.

Also --- I'm not exactly sure what the significance is of the position of District Member At Large? I'm supposing that it allows a person to remain a BSA member without having a unit level position.

Seattle Pioneer

Something doesnt' sound quite right. I am also a DMAL, which is what all District Committee members are registered as who are not the District Chairman, District Commissioner, etc. Those members also usually have a responsibility for a "sub" committee such as Training, Membership, Finance, Program, Camping Promotion, Advancement, etc. As I said, it is a registered position, and at least in our Council, we have to resubmit Adult applications every year and sign them, even though we also may be registered in a unit. As such, I get two membership cards, one for the DMAL position and one for my unit position. Not sure how you can be registered as a DMAL and not know about it. Doesn't anyone wonder why you don't show up for District Committee meetings?

BTW, all CORs are also ex officio voting members of the District Committee.

Well, I do show up for District meetings Scoutldr ---every month. And that means tonight in about forty minutes!

I "discovered" I was appointed as District Membership Chair when my name appeared in that position at the District recognition dinner in May. Then I "discovered" I was elected a District Member-At-Large when I attended the District picnic/election a week ago and took the time to read the list of people whose names were approved.

I imagine that I'll be asked to fill out an application when the District recharters.. In the meantime, I don't worry too much about such details.

The DE got the benefit of a few digs about his methods of recruiting new help for the District at the recognition dinner ----I'm apparently in good company.

Seattle Pioneer

Sorry, SP, I made a bad assumption, but from your post, it sounded like it was a big surprise that you were even considered a "silver looper".

HMMMM. I need to find a new SM soon for our unit, maybe I'll just pick one and start listing his name on everything and he'll just start showing up and doing the job. Sounds like it works for your DE.

There is no District Membership Committee badge of office that I have ever seen or that is listed in the Insignia Guide. With the positions you claim to have your district uniform would display either the Unit Commissioner patch or the District Committee patch.