Scoutreach quandary?

I have heard a lot of talk about Scoutreach. My question is this: what qualifies?

Some have told me "poor people" but I have heard the term used in relation to Asian-American Scouting, and Islamic Scouting. Many of these folks aren't "poor" by any means.

So others have said "groups that are not historically" a part of Scouting. But many of the disadvantaged black and rural white kids that are covered under Scoutreach are part of groups that have "historically" been exposed to Scouting.

I may be naive, but it seems to me that Scoutreach is just another way of saying "Scouting for anyone other than folks who are specifically middle-class and white".

What is Scoutreach really supposed to accomplish and who should it target?? (I can tell you this, a lot of folks think that it means Scout-welfare, and I am sure that is not the intent).

Wow Marcheck, you're certainly opening up bunches of issues. You didn't used to go by the name of FOG, did you???

As I understand it, Scoutreach is meant to deliver the program to communities where it is difficult to survive on its own. This includes many areas that are characteristically poor, have unstable families, or have difficulty retaining leaders or sponsors.

I have seen Scoutreach programs in both inner-city and rural areas. Largely for different reasons.

In most areas, I believe, Scoutreach is funded by the United Way or other agencies. You can call it Scout Welfare if you like. I believe it is a way to expose more kids to Scouting principles, and hopefully make a long-term impression on their lives.