ANY ADVICE ON WEEKEND TRIP TO NYC?

Marty, please. Mr. Doyle is my father.

No offense taken or meant. New York is a tough place to know or get around. Someone once said only the dead really know Brooklyn...or the rest of the city. New Yorkers think nothing of two plus hour commutes to work (and that is people who live in the City) and therefore travelling time is viewed differently here. Jones Beach is a great getaway, but not if you are only going to be around for a weekend. And I agree, the scenery that would appeal to 16-17 boys is not necessarily the ocean, the sand, the sun ......

I too have a picture of the Towers in my office. I have had to be tour guide for much of my wife's family when they came to NYC, so we went to the tourist sites often. But I can't actually go to Ground Zero, it is still difficult. My brother, now a retired NYPD detective, was supposed to be at 5WTC in the City's Emergency Headquarters. He was en route, between the Towers, when the first one fell.

I was on the phone all day trying to get in touch with him. My family were all calling me, since I was the only other one in the City. I didn't talk to him until 11pm.....

Many of my cousins, uncles and in-laws are cops or firemen. (A byproduct of being of Irish descent in NYC). None were hurt physically. Most were there afterwards for months.

It is still difficult. I have meetings with the other finance staff, whose office is three blocks away from where the Towers were. When I walk from the subway, I always notice how sunny it is in the morning, and then I remember what isn't casting a shadow anymore.

Aside from that, iveymdj, New York is a great place to visit, the people are abrupt (we are all in a hurry) but underneath that, much friendlier than we are ever given credit for.

Have a great visit.

MK9750 (or Mark)-

My son Sean (first year Webelos)and I areon a pilgrimage to visit all major league (and as many minor league) stadiums as we can. We've been to nine major league so far, and are trying to plan a trip to the Midwest - Tigers, Mud Hens, Indians. Then later maybe Reds, Cubs, ChiSox, Cardinals, Royals.

So, i'll take you up on your offer for directions then.

Thanks

Marty

plan taj

Marty,

Too bad you're not in town this week. Indians vs Yankees. And we're gonna kill da bums! Well, probably not this year, but...

I'm actually going to tomorrow night's game. I am taking my three employees for dinner and the game. I don't know how you'd recognize us, but if the game is telvised in NY, there will be four of us about 8 rows back in the left field bleachers.

Let me know when you headed toward us. I'd be happy to help!

Mark

Hello,

This is one of the best threads I've read. Makes me want to get off my duff and take my son back there.

I can't imagine going to NYC, without at least considering a show. Unfortunately that is very expensive. It's been a long time since I've been there, and even standing on line gave me sticker shock.

There are two (only two?) museums, which I don't think anybody has mentioned, and they be of some interest. I've been trying to find the exact names and locations, but without much luck. My memory doesn't seem to be the same these days. They say that is the second thing to go..., I can't remember the first thing.

Anyway, there is a museum of tenement housing, and it seems the youth are really amased when the they see some of those everyday household immplements such as a washing machine and what's a ringer? And how did they get those (you called them 78's?) in the cd player? As I understand the museum is in an old tenement, and each floor is a different era.

Also, there is a museum of radio/tv with just about every immaginable show on tape to be viewed or listened to. When I took my son there he was a cub, and I don't know how many times he replayed, Abbot and Costella's "whose on first".

Just my two cents.

Marty, have you ever been to Hadlock Field in Portland, Maine? Home of the Seadogs, and now a BoSox franchise. They even have a green monster! If you ever get up here, I'm always happy to show a fellow scouter around the real Portland. That goes for anyone, I just singled Marty out because of what he is doing with his son and the Seadogs' connection. YIS, paul

Marty and Mark, I and my family went through all our old photos after 9/11 and sorted out the ones with the WTC, so many poses, so many memories. I remember that morning so clearly, worrying about my family up there, phones out, and later hearing from my teacher friends staying to keep schools open all night waiting for parents who might never arrive for the children. I struggle to this day for words to describe my feelings. Those old photos are somehow comforting, knowing that for a while, at least, there was another time....

Lower East Side Tenement Museum

97 Orchard Street

a hike from the financial district, but doable

http://www.tenement.org

Museum of Television and Radio

25 West 52nd Street, by 5th Avenue

would need to take mass transit

http://www.mtr.org

Paul -

No, but.....

We are planning a camping trip to Arcadia and then Nova Scotia in August.

The real boss (Mrs. Doyle)would have to be convinced that a side trip to Portland was warranted. She has already been convinced of the beauties of Bridgeport, Newark, Atlantic City, Monticello and the Hudson Valley, only to see another minor league baseball game, and is wary of my requests now. When my son and I went to see the Rockies at Coors, my wife and daughter went shopping. A very costly weekend.....

I may contact you later. One never knows. But we are die-hard Yankee fans, so a Bosox affiliate?

Marty, Your Rockies at Coors experience reminds me of a time when, our families having been stranded in Budapest by a winter storm (great place to be stranded BTW), my friend counseled me that..."at times like this (in reference to our nervous wives and families) it is best to merely extend the credit card with a smile."

Can't believe Chinatown and whats left of Little Italy where not mentioned.

Also: South St. Sea port (I think very touristy, but it is right near the Staten island ferry debarkment center).

Check with someone who knows, or consult "fodors' etc for places to eat. If you wait until you are hungry you will pay. If a place is highly recommended, don't be put of by appearances. Some of the best meals I have had are in places I would have walked by if not recommended and some of theworst meals I have had are ones at the "glitzy or stylish" restaurants. (Unless you like paying $12 for a burger for lunch at Planet Hollywood, etc)

Don't be afraid of the subways either, just be smart and go as a group.

My Mother In Law says one of the best trips to the city was a tour of harlem (Way, Way uptown)

And, being from Jerzee, i can attest that NY'ers are not rude nor brash, just in a hurry, least compared to us Jerseyians

New Yorkers are not rude--they just express their manners and kindness differently. Thus, if a lady drops her handkercheif in my home town, someone might say, "Excuse me, ma'am, but I believe you may have dropped something." In New York, somebody might say, "Hey, lady! Watch yourself--you're droppin' your stuff!"

Same sentiment--different expression.