ANY ADVICE ON WEEKEND TRIP TO NYC?

Does anyone have any advice or experience planning a weekend trip to NYC? I am the parent of a scout in Troop 180 in the PA Keystone Council. We are planning a trip to NYC the weekend of Sept 19 - 21 and don't know where to stay. We would like to camp out somewhere just outside the city, if possible.

Also, what is the best way to commute to and around the city with a group of scouts? We would like to visit places like Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc. We'd probably be bringing about 3 vans up, but I don't have any idea how we'd make sure that we stay together. Would it be better to park somewhere and take the Subway around the City?

It's been a long time since I've been there and any info or recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about camping options, probably up the Hudson Valley, perhaps in NJ. Subways are good, especially for the group. Buses are another good option. Why not hike, at least for the short hauls...you'll see more of the city? I would also suggest Central Park, the American Museum of Natural History, many churches and cathedrals, Chinatown, and all of the really great food. They'll like killing an hour at Virgin Records too. Be prepared for long lines at the Statue of Liberty area and some others, also security checks depending on where you want to visit (no knives or similar items). Can't really do it in a weekend, I'm afraid.

I would suggest contacting the Greater New York Councils (212-242-1100) and specifically their camping support people (Charlie Rogers, Director) at 212-651-2955.

The GNYC runs three camps, only one of which is in NYC proper, Camp Pouch on Staten Island. Sorry to say, I've never camped there, but have been to their other two camps (Ten Mile River and Alpine) which are well run. Alpine Scout Camp is closer, but would involve more coordination to get into the City. The Westchester-Putnam, Theodore Roosevelt(Nassau), Suffolk and Greenwich(Ct.) Council camps are are somewhat distant from the part of NYC you want to see.

You could also try contacting some of the New Jersey Councils for info.

The advantage to Staten Island is that you could drive in the back way, across the Outerbridge,and go to the camp. If you want to visit Manhattan proper, it is very easy (and inexpensive)to take the Staten Island Ferry across the Harbor. You would then be a short hike from the ferries that go to Liberty and Ellis Islands, plus close to Ground Zero. I would check with the National Park Services before you go, but as of right now, visitors cannot go into the Statue of Liberty. The Empire State Building is at 34th and 5th, a short subway ride away. You could also go to the Central Park Zoo, in Central Park, about 30 blocks north, which is probably geared more towards Cub Scout aged boys.

There is also the NYC Police Museum, the NYC Fire Museum, the Museum of the American Indian, the Stock Exchange, the Federal Reserve, old Trinity Church, Fraunces Tavern, where general Washington gave his farewell to the troops, the South Street Seaport, with a number of old tall ships and other exhibits, all down by the bottom of Manhattan, close to where the Staten Island Ferry drops you off. Probably more, but I no longer work down there.

I would highly recommend mass transit. Parking is more expensive than living in Manhattan, and more so by tourist sites. Plus, many garages in Manhattan do not accomodate vans or trucks.

Good luck.

Our Venture Crew has an annual event called the Urban Adventure, yes, we spend the day in NYC. What has worked well in the past few years is driving to and parking in Hoboken. And if you are gonna be this close, you have to be able to say I was in Hoboken. Maybe you can swing by and visit "The Elysian Field" city park and ask the kids what important event occured there. Parking in Hoboken you can take the ferry over to lower Manhattan, as you go across the Hudson, you get a view of Ground Zero and are dropped off very close to it. FRom there you can walk to the New York Public Library, the kids want pictures taken by the lions ( remember Ghostbusters?)

One surpise was the kids choice to go to the New York Museum of Art. I thought the male maembers would go crazy, but when they discovered the weapons and armor displays, the afternoon was set. The ladies loved the costumes display, the boys the military stuff and early American architecture section, they have whole rooms set up, and all loved the Eygptian section. I just loved that on monday when the kids were asked what they did over the weekend the answer was "we took a ferry from Hoboken to NYC, walked past Ground Zero, took a bus to the Art Museum, walked through Central Park, saw the New York Public Library and took the subway under the river back to Hoboken, what did you do?

One note, see if you can find a guide, some one local to you who knows the city. One of the crew dads works in the city and I know we wouldnt do near as much without his guidance(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I would like to echo the point that you cannot currently go into the Statue of Liberty, including the museum. All you can do is walk around the outside. I'm not sure it's worth the wait at present.

I would also suggest a lot of walking, unless someone can't. Take a subway to lower Manhattan, and walk all the way up through the Wall Street Area, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich Village, up to midtown.

I would note that advance planning is important. Manhattan is really big and not easy to get around if you are not a New Yawker. No matter what the Metrpolitan Transit Authority will say.

The Public Library is a looooong hike from the Downtown Financial District (where Ground Zero is)- more than forty blocks. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is another forty blocks north of the library (think ten blocks equal approximately one mile), on the Fifth Avenue (East) side of Central Park, while the Musuem of Natural History/Rose Center for Earth and Space is forty blocks north on the other side of Central Park. Like OldGreyEagle says, one could end up spending hours in either place.

The United Nations is on 42nd Street by the East River, and not near anything else. The Intrepid Air and Spce Musuem is in the 40's on the Hudson River, and not really near anything else. Going to either of these venues would limit what else one could see.

I haven't even considered mentioning Yankee Stadium, which is in Manhattan (161st Street), but just barely. Tours of the Stadium are available on days when the team is not playing (and I think the Yankees might be in Boston that weekend).

And you have to factor in geting back to wherever you are camping each night....

And a segue to OGE: even though it may have been held in Hoboken, those in the know, know Mr. Cartwright and his Knickerbocker friends were all from New York City. I thought there was a plaque near the old coffee factory that tells what event happened there.

Here's my two cents from someone who has never been there, but whose son went as a Scout trip two years ago:

Take the advice and try to contact someone local to act as a guide. Our SM was from the Bronx, so he was a great guide for our guys.

Make a point to go to the 42nd Street Reading Room. I here the archetecture will blow even teenage boys away. We have two boys who went on the trip when 16 who are now going into archetecture or archetectural engineering in college because of their vist to the 42nd street reading room.

Wear full uniforms. The number of favors you will get, ranging from not having to wait in line to going in private entrances to not having to pay entrance fees to even getting into some places that are closed is amazing. And all of the foreign tourists seem to want to talk to and get pictures with Boy Scouts in uniform, Boys who started out complaining about having to wear uniforms were glad they did by the end.

Consider making the trip a long (4 or 5 day?) weekend. As mentioned above, NY is big, and you can't even scratch the surface in a day or two.

For relaxation, go to Jones beach. I hear the scenery is spectacular (OK, this came from 16 - 17 year old boys. Maybe not so exciting if the group is young).

Our group stayed in the SM's mom's house in the Bronx and mass transitted everywhere they went. They never even considered driving anywhere.

Never, NEVER let anyone, including adults, go anywhere without at least one buddy. Even our SM, a native of the Bronx, is apprehensive about allowing anybody to go anywhere without a buddy. And don't let the kids take any more money then they will need for the day.

To add on to the last point, try desparately to dicourage kids from buying things from street peddlers. the $175.00 per of Oakley sunglasses one of our guys bought for $15.00 had every taking bets on how long they would last before they broke. No one won. They didn't make it out of the city before they were toast.

Unless you want to consider eating a tourist activity, find a way to provide your own breakfast and lunch at least. It is very expensive to eat in NY. Our guys had the advantage of having a house as home base, but they brought their own cereal and lunchmeat. One person made and carried sandwhiches for the group every day.

Just as an aside, one of my son's most prized possessions right now is a picture of him and his best buddies all sitting on a wall with the World Trade Center towers in the backround. Exactly 2 months to the day later, they weren't there anymore.

Mark

Getting someone who knows New York is a good idea, along with pre-planning.

Don't trust people from Ohio with directions (sorry, Mark), since Jones Beach is at the eastern end of Nassau County, and although beautiful, probably two-three hours from Manhattan by mass transit (subway, Long Island Rail Road, bus).

Most New Yorker's attitude towards tourists is "Welcome to New York, now get outta my way." And probably not said that nicely. Think Sopranos.

But also only initially. Ask for help, and most of us will give it. And as Mark said, if in uniform, probably quicker. New York is all about who you know, so everyone expects peolple to cut ahead on lines, to be brought in around the side entrance to not pay. And they cut cops, fireman, soldiers, sailors (and airmen and Marines), and Scouts a break. Use it. You won't get too many breaks otherwise.

My lunch everyday runs about $11 - sandwich, soda, small bag of chips. Coffee in the morning, with a Danish, $3.25. It ain't cheap here.

And because there is still a lot of money here, there are a lot of shady types. Do not let anyone wander around alone. Do not carry large sums of money. Do not buy anything off people on the street, including hotdog vendors. New York might have the lowest crime rate for major cities in the US, but it is still not as safe as most towns in Pennsylvania.

About Ground Zero. Think of it as going to church. Or to Arlington National Cemetery. New Yorkers do not really condsider it a tourist site. We all knew someone who was in the Towers on September 11.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I am definitely going to heed this advice when planning our trip.

Does anyone know how much it costs to take the ferry from Hoboken to lower Manhattan. Where in Hoboken would you park and how much would it cost? Also, once in lower Manhattan, is there a subway you can take to the rest of NYC?

I know when you visit Washington, DC, you can pretty much ride the Subway all day and get off on different stops to visit all the major attractions in the City.

Would this be feasible in NYC? Also, can you buy a one day Subway pass and how much would it be? Thanks a bunch!

Mark

Let me echo Marty-Doyle's comment on the solemnity of ground zero, as we got closer and closer to the site, and you couldnt get very close when we last went, it got quieter and quieter. Looking down the street to the site, the deafening silence reminded me of being at The Wall, on the mall in DC. And I hope this reverence continues. I live in Bethlehem, PA, 1 hour 20 minutes to the Holland Tunnel.

Last time I was at the Elysian Fields the sign was still there, but it would be more fun to see if the scouts can figure it out. And of course it was New Yorkers who came across the river for recreation, even back then Manhattan lacked for open space. Now, just when was it the Knickerbockers decided to drop one sport they could play, to take up another sport that they cant?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Marty pretty much summed it up, PLEASE take his advice!

The Intrepid Air and Space Museum has a very active Scout Program 212-245-0072. Try to talk to the Scouting Program director and tell him that you are from out of town; maybe theyll be able to do something special for you.

And Im glad that nobody forgot about Yankee Stadium!!!

NYC can be a great place, there is so much to do, and so many things to see. I hope you have a great time.

Hoboken Ferry

www.nywaterway.com

$3.00 for ferry from South Hoboken to Financial District.

Don't know about parking.

OGE didn't mention camping. His trip was a day trip. And Hoboken is an minor industrial/residential city. There probably isn't camping anywhere near.

Subways

http://mta.nyc.ny.us

$7.00 for a Fun Pass, which is good for one day, unlimited rides, so I think you can get on or off at various subway stops in the City.

Includes buses.

Supposed to be one person per Pass.

Staten Island Ferry

Pedestrians - free (pretty much the only mass transit thing free in NYC)

Cars - $3.00 both ways, drops to $2.00 if more than three in car

I would recommend buying Fun Passes in advance through the MTA. Also request Subway maps, relevant Bus route maps (Staten Island, lower Manhattan, etc), and Staten Island Ferry Schedule.

You know, at the Yorktown in Charleston, SC, they have a program where scout groups can stay on the aircraft carrier overnight. I wonder if there is a similar program for the Intrepid? Now THAT would be really keen!

Mark, Scenery at Jones Beach? What scenery? All there is is sand, water, and a lot of people....Ooooooohhhh, THAT scenery.

Marty, (or Mr. Doyle, if you would like to be thought of in the same category as Mr. Fat Old Guy),

No offense taken. I don't know if Jones Beach was on the itinerary because it was close to were they stayed in the Bronx (that's what I suspect), or because the SM thought it would be something the guys would enjoy, and therefore went out of their way to do.

My directional antena is fine when discussing places I have been. I make no claim to knowing NY, so your correction is well received.

I hope my mention of the picture my son has offends no one. It has a place of honor in his room because of the significance it has. I am fortunate that none of my friends or family were there. My respect for those who were lost, especially those who perished trying to serve others is sincere.

If you need directions in north eastern Ohio, please let me know.

iveymdj, Have a great time. And, in case your boys forget, thank you for making the effort to do this for them. They will appreciate it.

Mark

OGE -

Probaly during the Civil War, when the Brooklyn boys - the Atlantics - started trouncing everybody pretty regularly.

I think, but can't swear, the Atlantics became the Superbas became the Trolley Dodgers became the Dodgers and started losing to the descendants of the Knickerbockers, who had become the Hilltoppers who became the Highlanders and then changed their name not to offend their Irish fans who wouldn't root for something named for an English regiment (which they weren't - they played at Hilltop Park which was the highest land around) that helped put down revolts in Ireland but preferred a name that showed their pride at being new citizens and anyway Yankees fit so much better in headlines than Highlanders....did I give it away yet?