Your favorite 50 miler +

As scout leaders we all want to provide our scouts with the best experiences possible. I am currently trying to organize a high adventure 50 miler + for next year for my troop and need some idea's. I have never done this before and don't even know where to take the troop. I am sure that other's run in to the same experience, so, I thought I'd ask...What have been your most successful 50 mile + experiences? Please respond and include the following in the Title of your response so that others can more easily locate useful information:

1. State, Province, other location that the hike took place in.

2. Length of hike.

In the message, it would be helpful to know the approximate cost of the trip (excluding travel to and from, since that will be different for everyone), registration, permits, fees, etc., trailhead names, nearest city, any high adventure activities available or participated in on the trip, if you used an outfitter and who you used, any useful tips specific to your trail, web sites or books that may refer to the trail/river/other, etc.

I am located in Utah and am specifically looking for a trip within 4-6 hours of the Wasatch front, but I think it would be helpful to have input from around the country (globe?) all in a central thread for other's to use as well.

Has this already been done? If so, please let me know where to find the info. Thanks, and happy scouting!

There is a wonderful canoe trip, almost exactly 50 miles, starting on the Edisto River near Orangeburg, SC and ending at a convenient takeout a little over 50 miles downstream. It is a blackwater river and goes through stunningly beautiful swamps including the Four-Hole Swamp. But do it in early spring to avoid the heat and insects.

There is another great backpack trip along the Pacific Crest Trail that takes in the Three Sisters area. My favorite spot (what am I saying, there are so many!) is Obsidian Cliffs just below Collier Glacier (the largest permanent glacier in the lower 48). Obsidian Cliffs is a solid mountain of obsidian. Walking along the trail is like crunching along on broken glass (I suppose, in a way, that is what I'm doing). A detour up one of the Sisters (I like the South Sister) is spectacular as well.

Oops, I forgot to mention that this trail section is in Oregon. A good place to start is at McKenzie Pass in a huge lava flow, not too far from Sisters, OR.

OK, I can't stop blathering this stuff, but it's also easy to do a great 50+ miler in the back country of Yellowstone NP. I did this back in 1973 on the back side of Yellowstone Lake. Around the lake with some side trips up mountains, etc. Great fishing too, at least back then. There's another I never got around to across the northern portion of the park as well. Maybe before I get too feeble. I'll stop now.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I know Washington state is a little past your hour limit. Troops I have been involved in great hikes in the Olympic National Park High Divide, Low Divide, Ocean Beaches, Mt. Rainier any part of the Wonderland Trail, North Cascade Park Ross Lake canoe and hike, May trails leaded up and down the Pacific Crest Trail. We have had hike heading from the west up and over to Holden Village and Stihekin (Lake Chelan). We have also gone to the Bob Marshall near Flathead Lake in Montana. Bowern Lakes in British Columbia have outfitters that will provide you with canoes so you dont have to haul them up there. My old troop is head up to Skagway, Alaska to do the Chiikoot Pass. The way of the sourdoughs to Gold Rush in Yukon in 1898.

Thanks for your feedback. I used to live in the Northwest and believe me, if it was in the budget, my scouts would be experiencing the beauties of Mount Baker and Ranier just like I did when I was a scout.

I recently took them on a 10 miler in the Uintas in the Trial lake area. We have a LONG ways to go before we hit a 50 miler +! Boys wearing tennis shoes and carrying canvas and flannel sleeping bags attached to 30 year old packs with bungee cords and a square knot, MRE's and no way to heat them...lots of blisters and bruised shoulders.

I have heard a lot about the King's peak trail in the Uintas. Anyone have any experience there?

By the way, a scout troop in our area got a local outdoor store to sponsor a backpacking class with tips on gear, technique, food, etc. on a scout's budget. I expect it to really benefit our troop. The boys are far more interested in the info after their experience last weekend than they were before they got the blisters. It might be something for other troops to check out in their areas. This store also offers 10% discount on anything that will be used for scouting.

If you are close to REI in Sandy or Salt Lake they always have free classes for all levels of backpackers.

One thing I've learned after 40 years of backpacking good equipment increases the enjoyment and scouts will keep coming back.

My dad brought me to REI when I was a young scout. We were getting me a pair of boats, my first real hiking boots. A nice man fit my boots on me. A few weeks later I was down at the store with my patrol when a buddy said "Look there is Jim Whittaker." It was the man who sold me my boots. Besides being the first American up Everest, in the 40's & 50's he was a Boy Scout hiking and climbing the Cascades and Olympics.