Youth Members on Council Executive Boards vs. Council Committee

What is the current policy on youth members (i.e. OA Lodge Chief, VOA President/Boatswain) serving as voting members on Council Executive Boards and Council Committees?

- Dale

One the biggest barrier to youth serving on board is legal age. In most states you have to at least eighteen to sign a legally binding contract and I assume there is minimum age to serve on the board of a corporation which is what the a council is. Most of the time when you see youth members on committees, they are advisory only.

• 4 months later...

Many Councils do have youth members on the board. They are not normally voting members.

We in our Council do not have youth members. The Northeast Region Board does have the Region Chief Order Of The Arrow and a Venturing Youth Representative. They are group members of the Program Group.

While we do not have youth members on our Executive Board, there is a youth member on the camping committee. The Council Camping Chairman is not on the Board, he reports to the Council Vice President for Program.

No amouse,Patrol Leaders are not normally invited to attend Council Executive Board meetings, they tend to be very dull and boring. Believe me you are not missing anything good!!

Eamonn.

amouse,

I agree with Eamonn. You would find most of the adult stuff rather boring.

Your best bet to get involved with Scouting at a larger level in your District or Council would be through the Order of the Arrow and/or serving on the summer camp staff. There may be some other options I can't think of at this late hour that I'm posting.

WAKWIB

• 1 month later...

This is the first time i have heard of having youth on the board but in my opinion it is a good idea! I mean everyone stresses scout run troop well wouldnt it be beneficial to have a few scouts opinions on the way council is run?? I know if youth were to help my council it might actually get something done.

Sometime last December OJ informed me that he had to attend the Council Camping Committee meeting. He is now driving on a learners permit, so I went with him. The meeting was in our Council Service Center. It started at 7:00PM. I don't sit on the camping committee. I know that I could have sat in and no one would have minded. I choose not to. I made myself busy returning phone calls and setting up our FOS kick off.

While it's not written in stone, I think any meeting longer than 90 minutes is just too long. I finished doing my stuff and waited and waited. At 10:00 PM, I looked in the conference room and they were still talking. I made sure that they seen me. I wanted to go home, they juggled the agenda to discuss Camp Promotion, OJ sat and listened to all their ideas. He was attending as the OA vice-Chief Administration. One Lady from a District who was there for Cub Scout Camping was full of ideas and was telling him that he should do this and that. He sat there with his adviser by his side. When they had done talking he said that he would bring up what they had said with the OA people in charge of Camp Promotion. The Cub Scout Lady was very upset, she by now had her diary out and was ready to plan dates. We left at 10:50 PM.

OJ drove home, with me in the passenger seat. I said "Well how was your meeting?" He didn't even glance at me he just said "Boring".

Eamonn.