Popcorn & bounced checks

There are some very sound accounting reasons for the council wanting to control this. Shortcutting normal accounting practices creates headaches and reduces accountability. It's a lot harder to document the transactions if the income and expense parts are left out. It would probably even cost more time and money to allow units to do their own calculations and hold back what they consider to be their profit. I can see the council bookeeper making dozens of phone calls trying to straighten out the mistakes made by units that do the figuring on their own.

Milwaukee sends out one invoice to the unit popcorn sale coordinator (aka the kernal aka me). They have already done the calculation up front, because the commission is variable. It increases 2% from the base if you have a unit that: conducts both show & sell and take-order; has a kernal who attends orientation; and turns in full payment on time. It increases another 3% if the unit passes on the prizes. Sounds like your COR needs to attend a council meeting and raise this issue there. The DE really doesn't have any pull in this area.(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

We have had problems in the past with peoples checks bouncing and have a hard time getting the money from them. To eliminate this we require that the popcorn orders be prepaid. We will not submit any scouts order if they have not collected the full amount. This way we have no problems paying council when the money is due to them. By collecting all the money up front if a check should bounce we have time to go and collect the cash from them.

I haven't had much luck convincing the boys to get payment in advance, although this is what I promote every year. Any suggestions on how to get them to do this would be appreciated.

Anyway, Gulf Ridge Council only requires their cut, and we all get to keep our commissions. It does save council some bank fees if they don't have to cut a check for every troop and pack to get their commission.

EagleinKY, I am the popcorn chmn. for our council (i'm also the popcorn kernal for pack and troop). I am very surprised at how your council collects money! Units here are able to do Consignment and/or Take Orders. On settlement day council balances the popcorn received/returned for our consignment units, and ask them only to pay for what they sold. Take Orders are also accepted on this day, but payment is not requested since payment IS NOT to be collected before a product is delivered. The previous may be our own council rule.

I agree with CubsRgr8 that your DE is not the place to go with this. Try a meeting with the financial director, but gather ALL your facts before you go.

If you would like more specifics on how our council handles this, PM me i'd be happy to try and help you out.

Sparkie