"You can't be quality every year."

You're absolutely right, Bob. I made my point poorly and that's not what I intend to say.

In my district, we have a relatively good training program, at least in terms of getting new leaders through the basic courses. On the other hand, virturally no training takes place at Roundtable. The commissioner staff does little if nothing to directly support their units. As a result, for new units with no experienced leaders to give them a jump start, Scouting can be like trying to grab a fast moving train.

I may be a bit jaded and myopic. I helped our district committee set up two new units in the past year-and-a-half and both are floundering. In my view, neither have been given the support they should have. I also know that we have a constant turnover of 6 or 8 units every year. Where our QD goal should be one or two new units, we are constantly faced with 8 or 10 new units to make up for those we loose. I don't think it is fair or accurate to say that all those unit leaders chose to run away from the program.

I agree that you have some very valid complaints about unit support in your district TwocubDad. I just feel it's important to recognize that it is a local volunteer problem and not one caused by the scouting program but by not using the scouting program, and that the solution must be found locally nad does not exist in all councils or all districts.

I hope your District can find the trained volunteers to solve the problem.

Bob White

Agreed, Bob, which leads us back to my suggestion.

If achieving QD required us to think long-term, the focus would shift from chartering new units, regardless of their strength or commitment, to nurturing those we already have.

I don't know that counting membership and units only after they complete a year is a good idea or not. But the thought behind it -- focusing districts on the long-term health of the program not just the immediate numbers -- is sound.

Twocubdad,

Why not do as other districts and set local goals beyond those identified in the Quality District recognition? Nothing is keeping your district committee from deciding that there will be zero dropped units in a program year, and using the resources of your district to attain that goal.

Some problems in scouting are caused locally and need to be solved locally.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

While I have to admit to being very goal oriented and at times not going the extra mile after the goal has been met. We as a district committee have a set of goals that we agree upon at the start of each year. While these are approved by the committee most of them come from the key3.As a key3 we have different ideas and at times different areas in which we want to focus our energy.Some of these goals will fall in line with the DE's critical achievements which are set by the FD and the Scout Exec. Some that have to do with unit service will come from the District Commish and while I seem to dwell on management, at times I will come up with stuff that is just what I feel is important.

This year my big goal was training the district committee. There was a goal for Cub Scout camping along with summer camp attendance. We also wanted to improve the nominating committee.The District Commish wanted to recruit a lot more staff.

While we gave them all our best shot we didn't meet all of them. But they were out there and were on the agenda at most of the key3 meetings and a few of the district meetings.

Our Council Commish has let it be known to all the District Commissioners that he does not want to see any dropped units come rechartering time. I have to admit to being a little taken back by his stance on this as we both agree that there is such a thing as a quality drop.I will have to have a chat with him and see what he is up to.

Much as it hurts and pains me to admit it as a district our weak spot is in commissioner service. Sad thing is that I don't really have a handle on how to put it right. We lack the manpower and worse the leadership to make it work as it should.

Eamonn

• 9 months later...

In Dec of 2003 our troop swelled from under 8 regularly attending Scouts to 35.

My husband took over the role of Scoutmaster for recharter time. We tried to get the young Scouts to go to activities, and get their parents involved. "We don't like camping." Or it was some other excuse. We'd have boys walk in asking to join, and we'd say, "we'd like you to attend a couple of meetings before signing up to make sure you are interested." No, they wanted to sign then. After a campout and a few meetings, they'd quit coming. We'd call. My husband spent his own money sending letters to Scouts and parents. Nothing.We are now down to about 15 Scouts attending. The biggest problem has been the parents. They learned that it wasn't Baby Sitters of America. To go camping, we needed parents to transport, to camp also. It was just "inconvenient." So we are most likely going to lose our quality unit status, that we always had for over 10 years. It cost our troop extra money to set up folders and such for these new Scouts, to buy all the new equipment that we didn't have before for that large of group. Personally, I like the smaller group, but this has been a frustrating year. We just never seem to improve the real condition of our troop over time. No one can participate because of a lack of money, or there aren't enough leaders to go. Very frustrating!

Quality District is not easy.

That old Nigerian saying about It taking an entire village to raise a child. Rings very true. While Them There District Folk, at times are seen to be full of cow pooh!! Everything they do is done with the Scouts in mind.

The Goals that have to be reached do involve a lot of people and these people are a very diverse bunch. The goals involve raising money. In fact a lot of money. Our FOS campaign is split into three parts District,Family,and Community. The District goal is easy I just pass out the cards and hope that the members of the District Committee will come through. While it is not a requirement that you donate to sit on the committee it is expected and the expected level of giving is $500 per family. Many if not most of the committee members pledge this and take the installment plan. The Community Campaign is where the bulk of our money comes from. I have to admit that this is one area that I am really proud of. Working with Pam, we have over the years really built this up. We have the greatest Community Chairman in the world. I was pleased when this year he was awarded the District Award of Merit. One thing hat I like about the Community Campaign is that it grows. Unlike the Family Campaign which can have its ups and downs the Community Campaign just keeps getting bigger. Rarely if ever once we have a company or person donating do they refuse to give the next year. In fact many of those who do donate can and do when asked become "Workers" and will work five cards. At the $175. level of giving we invite people to the "Dinner". We have had a lot of luck asking people and companies to "Buy" a table for $1200. The community campaign is reaching a lot of people in the community and next year I hope that we will have our own newsletter that will be sent to them twice a year. Showing how the money was spent. I also host a dinner at camp for all the community captains where they come up and see the money in action. The Family campaign is where we ask the units to invite a presenter to come to a COH or a B&G and ask the parents to support the program. This year we have blown our goals out of the water, thanks to a far better then expected Community campaign and Family campaign. While we can understand the reason for the community improving, we have yet to find out why the Family campaign went so well.

We also have special events at present a golf outing which while a District event is called the _______Health care Event. A friend of mine who is a Doctor undertook it. He invites drug reps and other Doctors. Some of the changes in the law about what Doctors can and can't accept as gifts have been a windfall for us. We also have an Outstanding Citizen Dinner. We have kept the cost low at only $75.00 per person. It has become more of a roast then we had planned, but is a super night.

Membership is a goal. We are to end the year plus one in every program area and have one more unit then we had at the end of last year.

At this time or should I say this time yesterday!! When I got the membership report from the office, we needed 6 Boy Scouts, 0 Venturers and 35 Cub Scouts. I know there is still Apps that have not been turned in. I know of a new Crew with 20 members that will be in the office on Monday. So We WILL make it. I would like to get at least another 43 Cub Scouts on top of what we need. That would make up for half of the ones that we lost half year.

Membership is a tough nut to crack. Membership is made up of Recruiting and Retention. Recruiting is very time consuming and very expensive. When I asked the chap who runs our local Cable TV office for an amount (I needed it for project sales) It was over $22k!! We have tried all sorts of new ideas and new things but we seem to be stuck in a rut. The number of boys that get signed up at school sign up night is fairly constant. What never fails to amaze me is the calls I get after sign up from what I hope will be new Tiger parents. The calls are in answer to a letter that I wrote six years ago explaining the benefits of being a Tiger Cub, we just keep "Recycling" it.

Retention is a lot cheaper and a lot more fun.

Not allowing a charter to go into the office until all the names that have been crossed off have been called is really paying dividends. The Unit Leader knows that we are going to do it and many are now trying to beat us to it. My hope is that they beat us every time.

We are going to be a Quality District this year, there is still the popcorn, but I took a peak at what the units ordered for what used to be the Blitz (Show and Deliver). And it looks great.

Many hundreds of people will have done something to make the District a Quality District.While a handful have done it because I asked most have done it because they believe in what we the BSA stand for and what they hope we are doing and will do for the youth in our community. At the Volunteer Recognition Dinner in March, the Council President will present the key3 with Quality District plaques. I'm not much of a plaque lover, but I sure didn't like not getting one last year!! I felt that I had let the side down. As I normally am the MC for the dinner I'm thinking of playing We are the champions, by Queen, then again We will Rock You might be a better choice.

Eamonn

Committeechair -- there's no reason you can't still be QU even with declining membership numbers. Membership growth is one of six optional criteria of which you need to meet two.

Our pack has been QU for years and we pay no attention to the membership number. With 110-120 boys, we don't particularly want more.

It's nice that the "Key 3" gets a nice plaque. As a mere District Committee member, I would have been happy with a QD patch for my district shirt. We are a brand new District and made QD in our second year. The DE said he didn't know such a thing existed, but would get them for us...but here it is almost October and we are still waiting. We worked hard and are proud of our accomplishment. i would gladly buy one myself, if I could find a source.