The Numbers Game

Let us for a minute forget what the book is saying.

A man from Mars wants to know the membership of the BSA.

Where would be the best place to look?

1/ A total of those listed on the charter?

2/ The year end total, without any ajustments?

Eamonn

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bummer to understand. The accountant in me screams for accuracy... and cringes every month when I have to read "The Numbers" off to the District Committee. (I am the District Membership Chair) I have said time and time again that the numbers we recharter with are only accurate for about a month or two... and then they are mainly overinflated after that.

When we add a member, we can record the growth but when we lose a member, the number of registered youth stays the same because, as dsteele said, the units have already paid for their registration.

In my District's case, we get the numbers of our Total Available Youth from the total number of students in our School District and divide that in half. This gives us the approximate number of boys available for Scouting. Then we take the approximate number of boys and figure 20-25% of that number to be our youth membership goal.

Example:

School District has 1000 students

Half of those are girls

Divide 1000/2 = 500

25% of 500 boys = 125 boys (THIS IS OUR MEMBERSHIP GOAL)

Plain and simple, it is the number on the charter when you take the snapshot. That's how many dues paying members there are. Whether they are involved with Scouting doesn't really matter. Next year, they won't be on the charter.

If you start fussing about are they in or are they out, you'll go insane. We had a Scout who joined, paid his money, and then announced that he was quitting because he didn't like camping, hiking, or being outside. Last month he found out that he was still a member so he showed up for a couple activities and then vanished again. Is he a member? Yes.

"A man from Mars wants to know the membership of the BSA."

Everyone know that the man from Mars doesn't care about BSA because

He has a gun and he shoots you dead and he eats your head and then you're in the man from Mars, You go out at night, eatin' cars. You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too, Mercurys and Subarus.