Professional Ranks

I don't know if you have a lot in common with George Armstrong Custer, but you can look to him to see what happens when you ignore warnings about the oppositions strength.

While there is nothing like facing a challenege, you should remember the old cliche about choosing battles you can win (the reason why cliches exist is because there is truth in them).

In the end, its up to you, if it were me, I would lay it out to the Council how they are perceived by the professionals, where their Council operation has "opportunities" for improvement and how you intend to do your job. At least then everyone knows how, why, and where you stand.

Aside from being perceived as having "difficult volunteers," how is that council doing? Does it have a successful program or is it floundering. OGE's advice is fundamentally sound. Have a direct conversation with the selection committee and others in the council to ascertain their expectations and goals. You have a great at stake.

Thank you for the advice, folks. I have researched as far as I'm going to. My wife, when I brought up the topic, had reservations about the area in general. That coupled with the Custer analogy above (which was right on the money) compelled me to thank the area director for thinking of me and request that he keep me in his mind.

DS