Preparing for camp - hints? suggestions?

Most of us are probably heading off to camp in the next few weeks, so maybe this is a little late -

But does anyone have any tips or suggestions, bright ideas to make camp more fun or go more smoothly for a troop?

For example:

Our troop has a file box with a file for each boy that contains the print out from Troopmaster showing his advancement record so far, a list & the blue cards for the badges he requested to work on at camp, and any other pertinent info - such as he wants to work on BSA lifegaurd, or if he has special skills to share with the younger boys (some are really good at Nature ID or orienteering, etc).

Behind all the files are at least two copies of the Merit badge booklets for all badges offered at that camp - and any that might be done in campsite. and a print out of merit badge counselors in the troop and the badges they cover.

the box is kept out of the weather - but available for all the boys & leaders at any time. If a boy comes back to the campsite and has nothing to do - he can pull out his file and work on something - like identifying plants for a requirement. Or he can pull out a badge book and see whether he wants to add it to his list.

the ASM's mark on the troopmaster sheets any requirements that were finished at camp (as well as marking the boys' books)and the finished blue cards go back in the boys file - which makes it easier for the Advancement chair to update the records when we get back.

this is especially helpful for us, as we attend two camps and have different leaders throughout the 2 weeks.

Another thing we do is bring a set of plastic coat hangers to hang up inside the shelter - for each boy to hang his uniform shirt on - out of the weather. As they wear them every day for dinner (and one camp requires them for breakfast AND dinner) - this keeps them looking a little fresher and airs them out.

What 'tricks of the trade' work for your troop?

I make up notebooks for the Scouts with their schedule of merit badges for the week, the blue cards for those merit badges signed by me, the merit badge books for their merit badges, a map of camp, a troop pen 20 sheets of paper and the troop rules for camp. I give all the Assistant Scoutmasters a notebook with each Scouts schedule, a map of camp, a copy of the leaders guide for camp a copy of the troop roster for camp and paper. I have a notebook with all the information the Assistants have plus we take pictures of the Scouts and Leaders going to camp and I use publisher to place them on photo paper with their names, rank and office under their picture. This works good for a lost scout. We have a picture of them. I've been doing this for about 7 years at camp and it helps out alot. I also have a notebook with forms for the meds the Scouts and Leaders take. The parents sign the form after they give me the meds and instructions. I have the Scout and Leader sign every time they take their meds. I carry a fire proof lockable box with me and keep all the meds in it. I try to make summer camp as easy for me and the Scouts.

Dancin

Dancin

While that might work for you. It sounds like it is way over the top.

As for the meds thing. If I were a Leader in your unit, I would very nicely tell you to go take a hike off a short pier.

Please look at what the BSA has to say about this. What you are doing is wrong.

I have been an adult in Scouting for 30 years and so far have never lost a Scout.

At our camp the boys sign up for the Merit Badges that they want to do when they get to camp. The way you make it sound, it seems that you have some sort of "Ownership" in these.

If all the Adults in Scouting followed your lead, I would rush out and buy shares in the Mead Co.

I dont do things the way Dancinfox does either but some of the schools I work with are very similar. No idea what BSA policy is. It seems to work for her though. I didnt get the impression that she is directing merit badge work.

Now Laura if you tie two sticks together at one end and use your kneckerchief slide on the other you can hang trousers from the press youve made from the sticks and the shirt goes over the top. Hang from the tent with another bit of string. Now you can leave the plastic at home and get that backwoodsy feel happening. (Hope I got your terminology right. If not interpret the slide as a woggle).

We have our boys choose their merit badges and plan their schedules BEFORE going to camp. Why have the boys making these decisions once they get to camp? They already have to do their swim test, set up camp, etc. Since our camp sends us the merit badge list and schedule well in advance of camp it seems like they want us to do this in advance.

We encourage the boys to bring notebooks, merit badge books, etc. but we don't set that up for them.

I always prepare a binder for our leaders. This includes a copy of each boy's schedule, a master schedule so they can do a quick glance to see who is where and when, the Leader Guide from camp, writing paper, sign in/out sheet, etc.

Eamonn,

First, the Scouts in the unit choose their merit badges a month before camp starts. This way I can assure that the troop has all the merit badge books needed. We do take our merit badge libary to camp if they want to take another class. Second, most of the camps we attend, require that the meds be logged in. By doing this I save time registering into the camp and usually, I have to dispurse the meds. The camp will give me a lockable box to store them in. That's why I use my own. We have gone to camps that require pictures of the Scouts on their health forms. I have found over the years that being organized this way saves a lot of time and energy on my part and the Scouts parents part. If this is against BSA policy, then tell me the area and page numbers. All the camps we attend like the idea. While, I'll admit, this isn't for everybody, it works for our unit.

Dancin

I never said when the boys make the choice of what they want to do at camp.

What I think, I said was " At our camp the boys sign up for the merit badges that they want to do when they get to camp."

I don't know how your camp works, but we do not have any way that a boy can "Pre-register" for a merit badge before getting to camp.

With all the best will in the world and all the planning. Very often things change.

Only last year before camp, my son had his "List" made out, when he came home, he had not done one of the listed Merit Badges, and had done CPR in place of it. When I aked why? He said that one of his pals was the only boy from his troop doing the CPR, class, so he went with him - He needed it anyway!!

While I am 100% for the Adults helping and advising (When asked) boys with what they are going to do with their time while at Summer Camp.It is their time.

I may be wrong, but to my way of thinking: It is up to the boy to plan his own schedule, and plan what he wants to do.

So in answer to the question posed by AdvanceOn "Why have the boys making these decsions once they get to camp?

My answer is. They should feel free to make their decsion, whenever they want to. It is up to them.

dancinfox.I did overstate the BSA policy on prescription drugs. I was wrong and do apologize.

What the Guide to Safe Scouting, has to say is:

Perscrriptions

The taking of perscription medication is the responsibility of the indivdual taking the medication/ and or that indivdual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed.

I as a Leader, would not want to accept that responsibility. I do not have the knowledge to be handing out perscrition medications.

I work in the Health field, and if the person is unable to take that responsibility on their own(I work with the elderly) The minimum qualifation that we allow for someone to pass perscription medications is LPN.

I as a parent, feel that my son is responsible enough to know when to take his own medication.

The last Summer Camp that I took my troop to we had 89 Scouts in attendance.

I was a little bit younger then and it was before I got used to having Dolly, my secretary. I think if I were to try and do the paperwork that you are doing, I would have to bring her with me.

Still if we were all the same, it would be very dull.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

here's a thought, its oriented to next years camp though. On the last day of camp, gather the PLC together. Our camp has a dining hall, so for breakfast the PLC sits together and talks about what they should do for next year, the scribe writes it down and them 1 month before camp next year, the next PLC will review it, why keep reinventing the wheel? However its down the kids will have great ideas on how to improve the experience but you gotta get it just after camp or they lose it

Just got back from Summer Camp, phewwww ... it was a long, but fun week! Of the 20 boys at Base Camp, we had over half came down with homesickness with three on the severe side (most are first timer)! Here are my lessons learned:

1) Have the boys div up into buddies (2-4) and have them choose the same merit badges. This way they will always have the same buddy or at least they should have at least one other from the troop to their merrit badge. This way they will not feel out of place and it's easier to keep track of the boys. Also, have a look at the camp before hand. Try to advise the boys to group their merit badges close to each other (ie. avoiding walking 2 miles from one end of the camp for horsemanship to the other end for canoeing ... it will not feel very good for four days ... bring bicycle [if allowed] and helmet if merit badge programs are spread out)! Most camp will have an "open program" day for Friday, use this to do easy merit badges such as Indian Lore, basketry, leatherwork, wood carving.

2)Homesickness - have the parents to prepare one letter for each day with the day's allowance in each letter, because the amount in the wallet will be spent at the trading post within the first two days and this will allow the boys to look forward to mail call and it will definitely ease the homesickness. Unfortunately, I only had one parent took me up on the offer! For money, average spending per day at the Trading Post is about $5 on junk food ... candies, slushies, soft drinks, and ice cream(or about $30 for the six days). One to two t-shirts will be purchased (if money is available) or average of $20 (some Trading Post will have dated t-shirts for $10 or less). Don't forget money for basketry kits ($6-$7), leather work kits ($1-$5), Indian Lore kits ($1-$3), and wood carving kits ($5-$10). This is not including any fees for merrit badges such as archery, riffle, horsemanship, sailing, etc. As you can see, if the boy has all his money in his wallet, it will be gone if he does not know how to manage it! One of ours lost his wallet the very first day that we were there! It did not show up until Friday! There is the "borrowing" factor. So alot of education will be required from the parents!

3) Print each boy's schedule out for him and have the SPL to post it on the bulletin board. Each leader should have a copy, because they will ask you!

4) Plastic hanger is very good. Bring extras. As for swim trunks, at least two, three is recommended with two towels (one for shower and one for swimming).

5) Suggest to the SPL to make a spreadsheet of the boys with the following columns: #2 restroom (bowel movement), shower, and brushing teeth. #1 and #2 restroom will determine if they will be constipated or not (a sign of not enough water intake). Shower should be done every day and of course they will try to get away from brushing their teeth all together if they can! SPL should check each boy daily. The SPL and the ASPL need to have it with them at all times.

6) Suggest to the SPL to put together the duty roster for 1) KP at the dinning hall for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. 2) Latrine cleanup. 3) Securing campsite. 4) Fire Brigade. 5) Camp gadget/ campsite improvement. (about KP, each table usually fits anywhere between 8-10, so 2 per table would work. If you have more than one table, then elect a team captain for each meal. The KP crew cannot leave without the team captain inspecting their table. We got this problem for the first two days! The boys simply went to the Trading Post right after the meal with very little KPing!)

7) Pick a rendez-vous site for such time as after campfire, before meals, etc. Have a roster so that the SPL can do a quick roll-call! We had a scare. Two of the boys went missing after the campfire and we searched high and low. It turned out that the two boys knew their way back to the camp site.

8) Bring ropes and staves for camp gadgets. Camp inspection provides points for this.

9) Have the boys bring a trash bag to put their dirty clothes in!

10) Bring aqua shoes for swimming area!

11) Bring an alarm clock! One leader needs to get up on the alarm. Trust me, after a hot and tired day ... you are gone after you lay down!

12) Bring games (board games, football, baseball gloves, hacky sacks, etc.) for the free time!

13) Bring sharpies and duct tape! You'll need them! Trust me!

14) Bring extra old hats! They will loose theirs and expose their heads to the hot sun! Bring extra sun screen lotion!

15) Bring a broom! To sweep the tent's wooden platform and to sweep off those spiders and bugs that the boys (usually the young ones) refuse to sleep if those bugs are in their tent! Remember, for a lot of the new scouts, this will be their very first time of camping!

16) Bring as many of the adult leaders as you can muster! Bring note books and pen to write with.

I'll end here, but I have a boat load of other lessons learned! As you can tell, this is my first Summer Camp with the Troop! I would do the above next year! Sorry about the long post!

Cheers and have fun!

1Hour

ps: our 20 Base Camp boys (mostly Tenderfeet) earned well over 96 merit badges! Whoooo-hoooo!

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Wow, I must be getting old.

I have not taken a "Real" Troop to camp for five years.

But somehow having the SPL, checking to see if the boys have brushed their teeth -Nah

As for the Spreadsheet recording the bowel movements- I can just hear the SPL, in my son's troop requesting the information.

I don't think it would sound very Scout like.

As for the spreadsheet (Had to be very careful with the spelling?) I thought that dancingfox, was over the top, with paperwork. - I take it all back.

I do really think that this would humiliate some of the boys.

Eamonn, actually, it's not really humiliating the boys. It's what the camp health officer told us to do! To check with the boys to see if they have a regular bowel movement and ensure that they go to the restroom regularly each day. This is all to ensure that they are not dehydrated! It's really one spreadsheet and the duty roster. Where are all of the paperwork that you are referring to? We had, in our troop, two cases of heat cramp (one severe)! We had one case of stomach cramp as a result of the boy not having bowel movement in three days (laxative was administered by the health director). Take it however you like ... it's just something that I think that I will do to make our summer camp a whole lot more comfortable in the future! Let's put it this way ... I don't want to find out after one of my scouts suffer heat stroke! If you have a better method, let's hear it! If the SPL refuses to do this, then I or the other leaders will. Ours didn't!

As for not scouting like, well to have the parents entrusted their sons to my care, I am making sure that I am doing my very best to keep them safe, even if it means that I have to ask the "poo-poo" question! I asked those questions each day at camp from each boy (of course I explained the reason why). It wasn't humiliating as far as I can tell. Everyone knew the danger of dehydration, so they all cooperated!

Checking to see if they shower and brushing their teeth. Again, it was the camp health director's suggestion and the reasons were very sound.

I guess that being the first time summer camper with the troop, I was dupped by the camp health director! I guess that being a true scout is to camp without anyone really looking out for you and that the leaders should trust that each boy will know exactly what to do with regards to heat and dehydration as well as hygene! I sit corrected then! May be I am dis-illusioned by the 100 degrees heat of West Texas!

Yours (very tired) in scouting,

1Hour

ps: or may be I should just keep my suggestions to myself! Yeah, that's the ticket!

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Wow is right!

LauraT7, You might think I'm from another planet compared to some of the responses you have gotten but here are my tips.

Summer camp is a young man's adventurous escape from home and school. It is something they want and something they fear at the same time.

Make fun the priority. Let scouts choose thier own merit badges. If some pick the same subject fine. If a boy is uncomfortable going to a class alone, go with him. Introduce him to another scout and ease back out.

Don't count merit badges. That is not what scouting or scout camp is about.

It is about the experiences not what they complete.

Keep a boy busy, fed and rested and he will not get homesick.

Take time to talk with the scouts individually, find out what they are enjoying, what they've learned, what they have done, what they want to do next. Count their personal successes not their bowel movements.

If their clothes get dirty teach them how to wash them. don't take cotton towels they don't dry well, take chamis towels.

Never tell a scout what to do, when you can ask him what he thinks he ought to do. You will accomplish more by standing back and watching then by jumping in and doing (and so will the scouts).

You have fun too, that's what summer camp is about.

Bob White

Onehour.

Please do Not keep your suggestions to yourself.

This is a forum and your two cents is worth as much as mine.

I do feel that by the time a boy is old enough to be a Scout he is old enough to know when to brush his teeth. If not something, somewhere is very wrong.

It is the Boy Scouts of America not Baby Sitters.

As to the bathroom stuff. Yes you need to tell the boys to drink lots of extra fluids, and explain the dangers of not going to the bathroom. And maybe with some of the younger boys a quiet word from one of the Adults.

But a spreadsheet, with copies held by the SPL and ASPL - No way.

I even go so far as to put hand sanitizer, on the Equipment list, and explain how important hand washing is. I don't stand and check if they use it or not.

As a parent I do expect the Adult leaders to ensure the safety of my son, when he is under their care.

Still there are things that are his responsibility, his personal hygiene being one of them.

Yes over the years things have changed.

When he first went to cub camp, I would take him to the showers and make sure he got all the parts.

As a bear I sent him alone, but checked.

As a Second year Webelos Scout, he came home from camp with the soap still in the wrapper.

Now at almost 15, he takes so many showers that he ought to look like a prune - Then there is the hair gel, hair spray and my after shave.

We are in an organization that helps boys become self-sufficient. It only works if we let them.

I have also provided the scouts with fanny-packs that hold two water bottles. They were asked not to leave the patrol site without making sure that both bottles were full. Again we gave them the tools- it was up to them to use them, and it worked.

And yes we do have to trust the boys.

"A Scout is to be Trusted"

Again we use this as a tool to reinforce them becoming more self-reliant.

How hard is it to say to a young Scout: "Ok little Timmy, your a Scout now. I'm trusting you to take a shower and brush your teeth."

To my mind, that ought to be the end of it.

No need for the paper work that you outlined in point 5 of your list.

I think you missed my point about "Not Scouting Like".

What I said was "I don't think it would sound very Scout like"

Somehow, I don't see the SPL, of the troop that my son is in being as polite as to ask "Have you moved your bowels today?" As a matter of good taste I will not go into how I think Mike (A real nice Lad, who is the SPL) might translate it. But it would not be something that I would like said in mixed company.

Trouble with being in an organisation is that we treat people fairly which is interpreted (in organisations) to mean the same.

I foster children and some of them are easily old enough to take care of their personal hygiene without direction. But they dont. Some are very intelligent without any physical or mental disability. But they dont all want to shower, brush teeth, change clothes etc. Whats more you dont have to be without parents for this behaviour. Most of the time it was parents who have casued it by various forms of abuse. And it is not as rare as you might think. These kids are great at appearing normal. In camp, as we all know, you get to know people in great detail. So....

I would not want to treat them all the same. But I may be considered quite intrusive in my questioning - after careful observation. I wouldnt record bowel movements outside first aid situations but I would expect that adult leaders would be fairly sure that their scouts were regular. It is just one sign of dehydration after all and new scouts (we all watch them like hawks) often have toilet phobia. Talking about it matter of factly helps a lot.

Experienced Scouts (ex cubs etc) should be right and I would stand way, way back but not all Scouts have had the same background. Some are self reliant and others need lots of care and attention.

Somehow though I suspect the written word isnt doing much for this discussion. Unless you do actually treat them all as being the same - but I doubt that any of you do in practice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Laura! Sounds like your getting ready for next week!!! Remember to look me up at Cheeroke (behind the office, down the hill of death! lol). I've been away all week touring Tenn., and i came home to find out our SM will only be up one day (as it looks now) so i'm in charge!!! He's not happy about it, he loves Napowan. However, i'm the only constant there all week (and yes i'm fully trained, over trained actually :) ). Luckily his son is SPL, and very well organized.

You have received alot of good ideas here! I would like to add that Napowan (actually Wis. state law) will not let you disperse meds. So you will have to check in with first aide to be sure everyone is taking what they need every so often, i usually give a reminder to the boys (individually, i do not annouce their names) in the morning, and then check with first aide after dinner. Some of these boys NEED their meds, and i'm not leaving it up to them that they take it (i don't want to deal with what happens if they don't!).

I agree with BW (as usual), this should be fun for the boys! Yes, they pick what they would like to work on, and by mid-week that might change...that's life. Our troop does not allow boys in camp during the day unless they are working on a MB (like Environ. Sci.). There is just to much to do at camp for them to just be sitting around.

I would suggest having a lost and found box! Boys leave things laying around all the time...it was a big problem last year. The tables seemed to become their bedroom floors! This year, we'll have a lost and found area, so if i see something that has been sitting around for awhile, i can just chuck it in the lost & found instead of always asking "who's towel (cup/shirt/book)is this?".

Our SPL keeps track of the MB's the boys are working on, asks each one of them (usually after dinner) how things are going, if they started anything new since the day before etc. I really like this idea of the scouts checking in with him or visa versa, it goes along the "boy run" idea, so we take advantage of it when we can .

We do NOT do hygiene checks, most of the boys are in the water everyday anyway. Now i know all the moms are going yuuuuuuck, that doesn't replace a shower! This is going to sound bad, but get over it, it's only a week, and you'll be lucky if he comes home with more than 2 pairs of dirty underwear! LOL

But seriously, 2 years ago i was at summercamp where a mom kept yelling at her son "look how dirty you are, your taking a shower!" and mothered this kid for the 2 days she was there. When she left, the other boys had noticed this and commented on him being a mama's boy. Parents, please leave your parenting at home, let the leaders lead, and observe the camp and how it works. This is VERY hard to do, but it is the best thing you can do (or not do) at camp. JMHO, i'm sure some will disagree.

Sparkie