looking for lyrics to songs that were sung at CAN -AM camporee

Hi all,

We just had the Troop spend a weekend camping with several Canadian Scouting units. A very enjoyable weekend. A lot of frienship and fellowship, based on the foundation of scouting.

Anyway, there were two songs sung by the Canadian scouts at this camporee. One was a very moving song that I believe was titled "At the loose" (I'm not sure that it is the correct title).

The other song was actually borderline hazing. If a scout or scouter lost an item, and the item was found sometime during camp, the person who lost the item had to "assume the position" (which was placing their index finger on the crown of their head, and prepare to twirl around), and then sing a song that I believe started out as "I'm a pretty prairie flower,(somethin' somethin') by the hour..." It could have been "I'm a pretty little flower..."

The little rhyme ended with requesting the item that was lost.

If anyone has a clue as to what I'm talking about, and you know the lyrics, please let me know what they are.

Thank you all.

I can't help you with the first song.

However, as for the second, I have observed this at several Scouts Canada events, but up "this way" (New Brunswick) they have to sing "I'm a Little Tea Pot" to get their item back--youth or adult.

Keep in mind it's Scouts Canada. The program is different from the BSA. It's coed, they don't have as many sue-happy lawyers, and the Scouts section only run up to age 14 (14 through 17 is Venturers and it's Rovers until I think 25), not to mention that youth in the sections are expected to provide leadership/assistance to the next section below them.

I've also warned scout units on our side of the border time and again that if you're attending an event with Canadian Scout troops present, please make more of an effort at the campfire than singing "The Beaver Song". Why? 'Cause it's their Beaver Scout song--equivalent to Tigers and you'll look silly singing a "Tiger/Cub" song at a Scout Campfire.

"I'm a Beaver, you're a Beaver, we're a Beaver all! And when we get together, we do the Beaver call..."

The song you mean is "On the Loose"

On the loose to climb a mountain

On the loose where I am free

On the loose to live my life

The way I think my life should be.

For I've only got a moment

And the whole world yet to see

I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose.

Have you ever watched the sunrise

Turn the sky completely red?

Have you slept beneath the moon and stars,

a pine bough for your bed?

Have you sat and talked with friends

Though a word was never said?

Then you're just like me and

You've been on the loose.

On the loose to climb a mountain...

There's a trail that I'll be hiking

Just to see where it may go

Many places yet to visit

Many people yet to know

So in following my dreams

I will live and I will grow

On a trail that's waiting

Out there on the loose.

So, in search of love and laughter

I'll be traveling through this land

Never sure of where I'm going

For I haven't any plans.

So in time when you are ready

Come and join me, take my hand,

And together we'll explore life

on the loose

Hope this helps :)

Anne in Mpls

AnneinMpls,

Thank you! Those are the lyrics to the song. This past weekend was the first time I had heard this song, and I thoght that it was very appropriate to the setting, and life in general.

moxieman,

Thank you very much for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

All of us who attended the camporee are trying to jog our memories as to what the lyrics to the rhyme was about the pretty prairie flower. For me, at least, its tough to try and remember a rhyme, after only hearing it once.

I did send an e-mail to the camporee chairman, in hopes that he will know what I'm talking about. As for now, I want to thank you for the information.

I'm a little garden flower

Growing stronger by the hour

I wish I may, I with I might

have the thing I lost last night

As with most songs, exact words change from singer to singer... Some grow faster and some are little prairie flowers.

I have heard great things about this camporee from the boys (T115 Naugatuck). Will you be going to the one hosted by the Canadians in the spring?

BTW: Crew 2 has their photos up at http://www.venturecrew2.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

John B

CC T115

I remember the days we could sing for lost items. I and the scouts I was with at that time had no problem with singing for our stuff. taught us to be more careful.

Hmmm maybe I should use the powwow tradition of buying back your lost items when I become a unit leader again since singing is now considered hazing by the BSA, or so I was told at PDL-1 when we I made someone sing for the hat they left behind.