European Camp Staff Program

The son of a co-worker just returned from Iceland where he staffed their National Jamboree. He had a blast. He is the Lodge Chief of the neighboring lodge and I am arranging to have him give a presentation at one of our Chapter meetings this fall.

EAmon,

Do tell do tell, LOL. Seriously I am interested in some of the challenges you encountered because I would like to see international staff at the council camp. As I youth we had Brits and Aussies at the camp and we had no problems.

Now grant you I had some challenges with a couple of Finns I worked with with the ECSP. But overall I had a blast and would have done it again if I could.

ScoutLDR,

that's great about the neighboring LC. Was that part of the ECSP or something else he found out about? And if he did go as part of the ECSP, did the OA program that came about a few years back pay for the travel and college money?

See when I went through the program, you paid an application fee of $150 that covered your medical insurance. WOSM paid half your travel expenses upon your return, and the camp paid for room and board. The a few years back to promote the program, the OA decided that for members under 21 to waive the application fee, cover travel expenses 100%, and give you a $100 per week scholarship upon your return.