Is there any Scouting in China?

That question peaked my curiosity. I knew Scouting was abolished in the PRC (Mainland China) when the Communists took power, but I also knew it existed in Hong Kong under the British. According to this site http://histclo.hispeed.com/youth/youth/org/sco/country/scoutnatas.htm

it still exists in Hong Kong, but not in the rest of the PRC. Scouting does flourish in Taiwan.

Interesting question. According to wikipedia, "Since the establishment of the People's Republic of China (PRC) by the Communist Party in 1949 in mainland China, Scouting has officially been banned. There are, nevertheless, Scouting units in some international schools."

Further, "... there are both American Cub Scout packs and Boy Scout troops in Beijing and Shanghai", as well as Lone Scouts I imagine these fellows are family of American diplomats, business people, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting_in_Mainland_China

Well, the Scouts in Hong Kong or Taiwan would be your best bet there. Scouting was banned immediately in all Communist countries, just as it was in Nazi Germany. In Communist states, it was replaced by the young communist movements. Membership is generally mandatory. I know they still have them in Cuba and the PRC. In Nazi Germany, it was the Hitler Youth.

It's not because it's based on English traditions, it's because it encourages ideas that are not convenient to the state, one being God. The Young Pioneers and the Hitler Youth were based directly on Scouting, but replaced God with the state. Needless to say, Communist or Nazi indoctrination replaced traditional citizenship training.

If I were you, and if they will let you, I would visit a Young Pioneer group. It would be interesting to see the comparison with Scouting.

Sounds like a great trip in any event.

Funny, this brought back some info I found while working on my patrols Wood Badge Project. Did you know that when the scouts were exiled from Russia due to Comunisim that one of the places they fled to was China? They are now located in Australia and are just making there way back to Russia since Chernobyl (sp). This is from the web page on Russian Scouts:

"Huge groups could be found in almost every country, the movement spreading in a two pronged direction along with the White Russian emigres. One wave moved through Europe, establishing groups in France, Serbia, Bulgaria,and other European countries. A much larger mass moved through Vladivostok to the east into Manchuria and south into China where very large groups of thousands of Russian Scouts came into being in cities such as Harbin, Tientsin and Shanghai.

The Chief Scout of Russia, Colonel Oleg Pantuhoff first resided in France and then moved to the USA where large troops of the National Organisation of Russian Scouts were established in cities such as San Francisco (Gerie Street), Burlingame, Los Angeles etc. He returned to Nice, France where he passed away at a very mature age. Other troops worked in Argentina,Chile & Paraguay.

As Communism reached China in 1949, the Russian Scout troops of Scouts, Guides, Cubs, Brownies and Rovers emigrated once more. "

For more info check out http://pinetreeweb.com/norsold1.htm

Kristi

I used to be an Eagle

SR-725

That's interesting stuff. I never saw those Russian Scouting pics before. I do remember that B-P visited Russia and met the Tsar. I suppose they had some kind of review for him, but never saw any pics of that.

Back in the 1980's, I worked with a man who was born in Harbin, China, in the 1920's. His parents were White Russian emigres. He never was a Scout, though.

Thanks for that link.

Due to some interesting twists my career may be taking, I may well be working out in Taiwan within the year or so. I don't have any dependents or anything, but I'd still like to be active in scouting in some fashion if at all possible should I go abroad again. Nobody would happen to have information on how to contact foreign BSA units in a given locality, would they?

Kaji,

Excellent question...

There have previously been a few overseas BSA councils outside the continental United States serving U.S. citizens (and on a few occasions smaller independent nations which contract with BSA for a youth program in their countries). Modifications in military agreements and international business trade have changed our overseas councils over the years.

In some remote locations, the youth and parent can apply to become Lone Scouts. I considered this for my children, while I interviewed for some overseas business positions, too far away from direct service units. In one location, I would have enrolled my sons in Lone Scouts, BSA and sought enrollment in the host nation's scouting program.

Even more, there is currently one Direct Service Council located with the National Office, which I believe historically there were as many as three Direct Service Councils (Los Angeles, New York and I believe Miami). Anyways....

Today, In the digital age, the internet and email, it makes service to the leaders of these units much, much easier. Overseas units always have some benefits and some extra challenges. Sometimes it depends on whom they would receive better. Some units have asked to be move from and to an overseas council and direct service.

Taiwan appears to be under the Far East Council, BSA. Where as, the BSA Troops and Pack on mainland China and Hong Kong appear to be Direct Service.

www.directservicebsa.org

www.fareastbsa.org

If you look onto the Direct Service you can see an link called Our Units for the units in China. If you look onto the Far East website, you can find a link to Map of Districts. Taiwan Pack and Troop 91 are in the Greater Okinawan District, of the Far East Council, BSA.

Most all BSA units are located near American Embassies or large populations of EXPAT Americans employed in metropolitan areas overseas.

Believe it or not... There were quiet a few Councils serving our youth overseas. Some of the other overseas councils.

Direct Service Council

Far East Council

Aloha Council

Western Alaska Council

Maui County Council

Puerto Rico Council

Virgin Island Council

Transatlantic Council

Panama Canal Council (became direct service in 99)

Philippine Council (I understood existed and became direct service in the 80's)

If you are too many miles South of Tapei, maybe consider Lone Scouting, BSA and visiting the Tapei Troop 91 on some rare occasion.

Good Luck in Taiwan!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv