2007 World Jambo -- how to sign-up?

The US contigent is deceided by National not your local CE. You need an application, but they won't be out until after the NSJ this summer. They don't do anything to distract from the NSJ.

Rumor has it the cost is going to be around $4000 per person again.

I am the 2007 World Jamboree Chairman, for NE Region Area 4.

To date there is no real information available, other than what is on the 2007 Jamboree web site.

Jamboree Contingents are managed on the Area level.

I have heard all sorts of guesstimates as to the cost ranging from about $2,500 to $5,000. The truth is that there is no hard information available.

From what I'm hearing from across the pond things are not going that well with Eurojam. They are not getting the staff members they had hoped and the numbers are not getting the number of participants. My contact tells me that British Scouts think that the Jamboree fee is to high.

What with them having the Eurojam and us having our Jamboree everyone seems very busy. I have for the past month been trying to find out how many people they are sending over to staff the 2007 Jamboree exhibit at the National Jamboree and seem to be getting no where fast. E-mails and phone calls are not working. It seems that the 2007 Jamboree is not part of the British Scout International Department and a separate corporation has been set up and the left hand and the right hand are not talking to each other.

I'm sure it will be alright on the night.

Our International Division is sending out a application form which doesn't give very much information, in fact it doesn't give any. You might want to call them and ask them to send you one. I'm not sure what good it will do.

Adult positions with Troops will go very fast, you might want to consider going as a Staff member. If I remember correctly you can apply on line.

Eurojam is looking for people to go and help get the site ready. I have the details and will E-mail them to anyone interested. This is before the event and they are looking for plumbers, electricians, and tradesman. Of course they are requesting volunteers and you would pay your own way!!

Eamonn.

• 4 months later...

The application for the USA contingent has been posted online. You (the Adult) must get approval from you local council prior to sending the application on to National HQ. You must also provide a check for $500.00. There should be a council World Jamboree chairman. You can get the application, in PDF format, from this web site:

http://www.scouting.org/jamboree/world/

go to the bottom of this page for the link to both applications. I didn't read what boys need to do. The above rules apply only to adults, as far as I know.

jack

The application does need to be signed by the Council SE.

Sent in to the National Office with $500.00.

As far as I know the question of how many Troops or Crews each Region will get is still up in the air.

When I asked our Area President about this he said that our Area, which covers 13 Councils, does normally get a Troop.But so far I have yet to hear if we will get one or not.

Reading between the lines on the web-site, it says that the BSA has chartered 80 buses for the event. This might mean that we have 80 units?? 2,880 youth members and 320 unit leaders??

It does seem that there is a lot of interest in the event and there will be a stand at the National Jamboree, so I think that interest will grow. However many of the parents that I have spoken with have said that the price tag is just more than they can manage. There is a lot of adults who really do want to attend, but there isn't that many adult spaces. A pal of mine has said that he is going to just go over and visit, he is taking his wife and son. He thinks he can take all three of them for what the Jamboree would have cost for one.

Eamonn.