Scouting efforts in Iraq

I think the article has one problem.

The writer assumes Scouting won't work until after the problems are all solved.

Scouting can't wait that long. For one, the wait would be years, perhaps decades, and those kids in Iraq need things like Scouting now.

Another thing is, if some things like Scouting don't get under way with the process of uniting the Iraqi people at the ground level, and building the basic components of civil society, the problems faced by Iraq will never be solved. So it is imperative that Scouting, and other things like it, get moving as soon as possible.

Finally, the author seems to spend a lot of time on this Beck guy. Ultimately, I don't really see how his political activities back here have much bearing on his ability to aid the Scout movement in Iraq. The author seems to say that things will only happen once the Iraqis get over Beck's problems, but there is no evidence presented at all that the Iraqis have a problem with Beck.

In any case, it is good news that Scouting is on the move in Iraq, even if it is moving slowly.

Thanks TXeagle!

I hope ICLU (Iraqi Civil Liberties Union) doesn't find out about this.

Any councils, districts, units out there doing anything big service related to help Iraqi youth?

WWBPD

Deut. 23:13

• 8 months later...

Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread, but I am heavily involved in the Iraqi Scouting Movement and I thought I could offer up some information on matters of American units getting involved. I am the Puget Sound Regional Coordinator for the Iraqi Scouting Initiave, and I work with Mr. Bradle in efforts of support and fund-raising.

The Iraqi Scouting Movement is growing quite rapidly. There are currently over 1200 youth registered and active in Boy Scouts and Girl Guides, and every provence in Iraq is now seeing Scouting activity. Over 100 Iraqi volunteers, men and women, have been trained at the Arab Scout Org HQ in Cairo Egypt. 3 of the 4 original Scout camps in Iraq are now back up and running. Iraq is working hard toward being reinstated in the WSO.

The Iraqi International Foundation (Mike Bradle's nonprofit org) offers a commemorative Iraqi Scouts patch which American units nationwide are selling to help Iraqi Scouts. All of the proceeds from this patch go to Iraq to help them rebuild their program. I know of 6 completed Eagle projects across the US where the candidates worked through the IIF for fund-raising and gathering gear and supplies. My own Pack did a fair amount of fund-raising a couple of months ago. Our funds are now on their way to Balad to help start new units. Mr. Bradle has also informed me that he is investigating the possibility of American units sponsoring Iraqi units. I have heard that T-777 in Baghdad is sponsored by Rolling Thunder, so non-Scouting organizational sponsorship is already occuring.

I can provide more info as I receive it, for any who are interested.(This message has been edited by featherbear)