Put The Old Boy Out To Pasture!!

I have had to smile reading the thread about shoulder loops. I have been asked to join the North East Region area 4 Committee, with a view to organizing the two troops that will attend the World Jamboree in England in 2007.

As a member of this committee I get to wear the gold loops.

I have to admit that this is a job that I wanted. However I'm not sure what the area committee really does. My only real contact with these guys has been meetings to go over our Council rechartering.

I will vacate the Council Training Chair. position at the end of this year and have only two more years to go as District Chair. So by 2005 I will be free to give this new position a lot of my time.

By the way I think until I give up being District Chair. I will only wear the silver loops.

As they say, "Old Scouters never die, they just take a new position"

Our Council Commissioner who is a friend of mine always tells me that if you feel like leaving your old position and taking on a new one, then you should never feel guilty. I think that is sound advice.

By the by, you did not answer the question I sent you by private mail. Did you not get it?

Dancin

The Area is to the Region what the District is to the council. It sounds like Northeast Region Area 4 is sending two troops to the World Jamboree. As part of that committee, you and the rest of the committee would recruit adults and youth to comprise the troops and oversee the travel plans, etc.

As to wearing gold shoulder tabs . . . better you than me, my friend. Those gold tabs get you jumped on by every confused person or person with a bone to pick with the BSA.

I was mighty glad I was wearing silver when I staffed the 1997 Jamboree.

Good luck.

DS

At the area 2 (Central Region) Commissioners College this past weekend one Scouter made the comment that the BSA promotes the National Jamboree really well but not the World Jamboree. Maybe the American "we are the center of the world" thought process coming through?

This November I will reach the 40 years in Scouting.

Thanks to having a big brother who was 4 years older, I was taken behind the Scout Hut and given some very high handed advice.

But so far everyone has resisted the temptation to shoot me!!

As for the National and the World Jamboree.

We will see over 30,000 Scouts at the National Jamboree, most of them from the USA.

At the 2007 Jamboree we will see about the same number from all over the world.

This is going to be really neat for me. In 1975 I was the Assistant Scout Leader to the London (GLC) contingent and now to go back as an American.

Still I really enjoyed my stint as Training Chair. We seen so many changes in training. Most if not all were needed and have improved the training that all the adults have taken back to their units.

I think my heart will always be in and with training. But I said that about being a Scout Leader.

Dave, as you know from our phone chats. They can pick on me all they like, when I answer them they won't understand a word that I say.

Isn't it strange that kids never have that problem. The kids say that I sound like Austin Powers (I have yet to see the movies) Older folks tell me it's more like the Beatles.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I would like for my son to have the opportunity to go in 2007, should he choose. He went to the last Nat. Jam., but was not ready to do the world. We've talked casually about '05, and the other day he said he would rather attend as a participant again rather then try for a staff position.

My question, should he decide to apply, at the age of 19, for what position(s)should he apply? Any ideas?

Eamonn, good luck on your new job. It sometimes amazes me how much time and effort is put into activities such as these. Thanks to people like you, I have enjoyed working on two Nat. Jams., and was supprised the other day when I was told that I should hurry up and get my application in! I haven't even started thinking about next summer. YIS, paul

National Jamborees are not open to Venturers as participants. It is a Boy Scout and Varsity Scout activity. I do not know if the same holds for World Jamboree but if very possibly could. At 19-years-old your son would be ineligible to participate as a youth and the only aduilt position in a troop contigency that he would be eligible for is as a Third-Assistant-Scoutmaster.

Hope this helps,

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob is correct.

The National Jamboree is a Boy Scout Jamboree.

Boys who attend are in Troops.

Of course there are opportunities for adults and Venturers to serve on staff.

The Order of the Arrow had a super display at the last Jambo as did Ventuering.

As for the Third Assistant Scoutmaster, I have the unenviable task of appointing one for our troop.

All the Lads who have applied are really good, nice, super really keen and I like them all.

All of them were in the Jamboree Troop that I served as Scoutmaster too last time.

So far we have seven Lads and only one opening.

I am trying to steer them to serving as a Staff member.

OJ my little fellow (Size 12 Shoe) is going as a staffer. He has already applied and received a post card from the National Office.

He wants to do something with bikes in one of the Action Areas.

As for 2007, I will have to look up what the age group will be and get back to you.

One strange fact. At the last World Jamboree there were more girls then boys.

The age group for the World Jamboree is 14 - 17. It is a Scout Jamboree.

At this time there are plans for only 40,000.

I am not sure what happens in other Regions, but the North East Region does not allow Units to attend as a unit.

It might be possible to Sign up a Crew to attend as part of the Service Team.

Of course right now everyone in the UK is very busy with Eurojam. Which is very much like a "Dry Run" For the World Jamboree.

You can sign up as a unit with permission from the BSA.

Eurojam is in 2005.

Both events are online.

Eamonn(This message has been edited by Eamonn)