Anyone going to World Jambo?

Five Scouts from my troop are going to WJ in Thailand. For any of you old heads who may have been involved with a WJ in the past, a few questions?

1. Do you know how the WJ fee breaks out? It seems incredibly expensive, and no doubt a lot of that is for insurance and other costs that are transparent to those attending...not disputing them, just want to be able to offer something other than the deer-in-the-headlights look to families when they ask me...

2. What trading items are most popular and most portable? We want to send our Scouts with something that others will want to trade for. We can get anything made here in Korea, including unique caps, patches, and coins.

3. Any general tips/advice for sending Scouts to an international event with thousands in attendance?

thanks in advance,

KS

Sorry I can't afford it but I can give you some hints from the recent AJ2000. Have a prejam camp for your own contingent troop, for even though there are a thousand scouts in camp your scouts will mainly be involved with their own troop or patrol. Some one in your troop will turn out to be your trader and he/she will trade best with something destinctly Korean, Troop or district badges,troop scarves,are good.Woggles I think are great they can be worn by the reciever long after the Jamboree.

Hints: have all your scouts use the same Distinctive baggage this makes finding your stuff easier. Take a simple cook book some times the supplied incrediants can be challanging. teach them how to wash clothing in a bucket before going.

• 2 months later...

Much as I would love to have gone,it was not to be.I was fortunate enough to be the Assistant Scout Leader of the Central London contingent to Norjamb, back in 1975.

As for trading, it is just like any other Jamboree: Pathes,Uniforms are big "sellers" But it is really nice to have a small token that you or your boys can give away with no return expected, something small like a wooden nickel with your council name and a few wise words.

I really want to attend the Jamboree in the UK in 2007.