Scouting in former states of the Soviet Empire

One of the more heartening outcomes of the collapse of the Soviet Union was the spontaneous rebirth of scouting in the various components of that empire, including the Russian Federation. It would be interesting to hear stories about that if anyone has any direct experience. Perhaps some of our brothers and sisters in those parts of world occasionally look at this forum and can tell us what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

eisley,

yes some Australians got involved with the Russians pretty soon after the wall came down down. In fact one died in St Petersberg being run over in an accident I believe. I'll search through my Aust Scout magazines for the article(s).

East Timor has three Scout movements I think. I'll check that as well.

I seem to remember other examples of Scouting erupting out of years of totalitarian rule. It's not just a Russian thing.

In doing some web searching for information on Seton's Woodcraft organization, I found out it still exists in U.K. and in Czechoslavokia. Czechs have also been through some terrible times in the past few decades. I found it interesting that Woodcraft could survive. Anyone know any more about that?

G'day eisely.

Couldn't find the magazine articles on Russia. I gave my old mags to a new Scouter and have only the last 12 months.

However East Timor had two Scouting movements in Apr 2001. One Catholic and one community based. At that time they were contemplating merger and then seeking membership of WOSM. Scouting existed under Indonesian control as Indonesia has the Gerakan Pramuka which I believe to be a compulsory Scouting movement which has an overtly military uniform. Therefor there was a precurser to the two new Scouting movements.

• 1 month later...

Scouting is alive and well in Pilviskiai Lithuania!!

If you recall the movie Red October, the captain recall of his boyhood days of living near Vilinus Lithuania. 10 years ago Lithuania ended its Soviet Occupation (their words) with a declaration of independence, and a revolution. Blood was shed, but independence was gained. With that came religious freedom, and also from the west, help in re-establishing the churches that were there before WWII and the Soivet Occupation.

First United Methodist Church Green Bay has a partner church in Pilviskiai Lithuania. And the Boy Scout Troop 1040 at FUMC-GB has helped establish a Scout Troop at the Pilviskiai UMC. Scouting in LT (Lithuania) is as much of the rest of the world, and is co-ed. Our troop helped in finding leadership, working out the details with "Lietuvos Skautija" (Lithuanian Scouting". We learned many things from the Lithuanians, including "KAS YRA?" (What's up) (Pronounced kas yee ra). Funds are very tight in LT, and 1040 has been supporting the Pilviskiai Scout troop. I (Scoutmaster 1040) visited Pilviskiai last summer, and then again in November, when plane tickets dropped to $450. Pen pal letters have passed back and forth, and now internet email, and even internet Instant Messaging.

It is very interesting to see what our boys think LT must be like, and what its really like (Yes Bobby they do have cars). There are many differences between LT culture and US culture. (Yes Tadas ((a 13yo boy)), as is shown on American cinema many people from the US actually do not take their shoes off when they come in to their house in the US).

There have been fantasy thoughts of having a high adventure trip to LT in 2003. I have posed it to the boys as a possibility that THEY could do if they put it together. There would have to be much work in putting this together. I am sitting back to see what happens.

There is not much to do in the smaller towns of LT. Depression, bleakness, and the problems that accompany those situations are big problems. Scouting provides not only a future solution those problems, but provides a direct solution as well.

Timm Bacher

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• 2 months later...

I don't have a story, but what I do know is that right after the fall of the Soviet Union the various scout movements that erupted asked for help on their handbook. From the Boy Scouts of America. It's nice to see that old advesaries could put aside differences to help boys all over the world

• 7 months later...

Many councils have designated volunteers or paid staff who coordinate international cooperation efforts. I suggest starting with your district executive to see if your council has any such programs. The persons in charge of that effort should be able to help you.

re - how do you partner

Yes it is a good start to begin with your council. The thing I must say is don't give up if you don't get the help you are looking for. We just went ahead and worked our way through the system. Contacts are always available. If one doesn't work, try the next. If you work, you can make it happen.

Sooo

Troop 1040 is planning an international trip to Lithuania on June 18-July 6th 2003. This trip is a BIG trip for us. The boys have been working hard, and have solved many problems. Many problems still exist.

Its going to be a great trip. If anyone has questions, I would be open to email discussions of them

Timm Bacher

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

A friend of mine was one of the American volunteers selected to go to Russia to train the new Scout leaders. His stories are far to numerous to share here, but I will share one. The Russians biggest hurdle was to understand the concept of volunteerism. In fact they had no word in their vocabulary to express volunteerism. The thought of spending time and energy for the sole good of others was as foriegn to them as a dutch oven. (by the way it took them days to find a chicken and three fresh vegetables to cook.) When my friend left the oven behind as a gift it brought the new leaders to tears.

Bob White

• 3 months later...

Hi, Bob White and other Scouters!

probably those Russians whom your friend contacted were not a real Russian:-) cause in our language we'got absolutrely analogical word DOBROVOLETS that's mean VOLUNTEER.

But I'm agree that lot of so called "Scout leaders" in Russia and "Soviet Empire" just people on duty and earn money for Scouting.

Please remember - some of them, but NOT ALL.

For reason to know more about Russian Scouting pls visit www.Scoutmaster.ru it's official web-site of The Russian Union of Scouts (we are WOSM member if it is important)

We have English version of site and if you need translation our English editor do that for you.

Keep in touch!

YiS, Slava E. Chernykh,

Chief-Scoutmaster of the Russian Union of Scouts

Welcome to the forums.

For the group humor effect, consider how long it didn't take them to learn to bash professional scouters over there! :)

Actually, I'm looking forward to reading the next thread about a Russian Jamboree. I'd like to go.

DS