Am conducting a leadership training camp of 4 days duration for my Troop in two weeks. Web search has shown your JLT to revolve around 11 skills. I have found some syllabi showing me how different Troops achieve the training for these skills.

Is there a set of objectives for JLT that I can view? I understand that copyright requires me to get the book but just curious if someone can can abreviate your course for me as a preview.

links are good - have exhausted the search engine.

Thanks Eamonn. I have read most of the two white stag books and some other white stag stuff too. A great site. I also visited other jlt programs run by Troop and districts. They are all similar but different and I am wanting the base requirement from BSA.

This will allow me to discriminate in my reading.

Is it as simple as the 11 skills? Or do the 11 skills have specific objectives? Im a trainer by profession and the white stag material doesnt look much like a set of objectives or competencies. Course managers usually have a succinct set of dot point objectives.

Is white stag the accepted standard? I understand that jlt may have started there. Im happy if that is as good as it gets - it just isnt what I am expecting

Ozemu

The objectives for each of the 11 leadership skills is in the recently retired Wood Badge syllabus, which was replaced by the Wood Badge for the 21st Century.

Besides the individual skill objectives there are excercises that allow the participant to practice the various skils and to discover their inter-relationships. Seldom is only one skill in use at a time.

Leadership is explained as a scale that must be kept in balance. On one side is "Getting the Job Done" on the other side is "Keeping the Group Together" Through the proper integration of the 11 skills a good leader accomplishes both.

Hope this helps.

Bob White

The JLT book looks good. Thinking of a few purchases from the catalogue in fact. Now what is the Au dollar doing?

Eamonns helping with those objectives - thanks for the reference Bob.(This message has been edited by ozemu)

Ozemu

A sylabus for the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Kit that AdvanceOn lists in his post can be found at http://www.netwoods.com/JLT_Prog.html, along with several other options.

The official Training Kit lists a few alternative games in addition to those listed on this site, but is basically the same otherwise.

This is the troop JLT Training that our troop uses twice a year, around the time of the elections, and as far as I know, is the only Official Troop JLT program that there is.

You will see many other options on this site, including something covering the 11 elements version that you mentioned.

Although it may be different in your neck of the woods, all I have to do is go down to my Council Service Center and rent the video/kit that also contains a copy of the written materials. All for a $10.00 returnable fee.

The only other version of a Troop JLT program that I know of that is not found on that site is the Intensive Training in the Green Bar Patrol, by Green Bar Bill. It can be found at http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/green_bar/index.htm, but as I understand it, this is no longer official. (Darn shame, it's really good and at some point I'll probably run it anyway.)

Hi Silver shark,

good links - thanks. Had already been to the first and was very impressed however that is what casues me confusion.

I first found white stag. It concentrates on the 11 skills. The netwoods site lists different topics but provides a a daily program and specifies the objectives. For a non BSA trained Scouter I am wondering which one is closest to the official JLT.

The Green Bar site is good reading. I gather he was fairly important in BSA history from my other readings.

4 of the 10 Scouts doing this camp have already done our Leadership cse which is a weekend thing. I have been involved some years ago in these weekends. They fall short of JLT and have little residual effect. I thought Ill try it at Troop level so that I can follow up as Green Bar Bill and Bob White recommend. However I want a different product to our cse as the other 6 have to do it anyway. Also I will be doing our program over four days rather than two. Your JLT seems to be a good guide.

Our equivilant of council office is four hours drive away and staffed part time by a volunteer. I have never heard of it holding any resources and is for processing paper.

Scouts Australia has far less available in publications than BSA. Hence my desire for your pubs (which are cheaper except for the postage fee).

Also BSA pitches at an older Scout. Ours go to Venturers at age 15. I think that Scouts Aust pitch too low and do not challenge the Scouts minds - therefore having little effect. Which is sort of okay as I am allowed to do what ever I want in leadership training.

It is good to have the freedom to do things my way but also a bit challenging inventing my own wheel. The BSA JLT wheek looks good but is a bit blurry without access to your books.

• 2 weeks later...

We finished the camp on Tue. Seemed to go well with the 11 skills. Two Venturers helped instruct.

Basically followed what I found on the www sites. Some of the material was out of place here so we changed things but kept within the subject. Different cultural interpretations I put it down to. Mixed the cse with wilderness survival and campcraft stuff etc. Certainly challenging - we have been in drought and most of this bunch have done little cooking on fires. Lots of burnt things on days one and two!

Thanks for the help everyone. Am leaving it a couple of weeks and will then poll the Scouts to see if they would recommend the course to others of their age. That will dictate whether we do it again. I should think we will.

In our troop we conducted a traditional JLT, whatever that is, over a weekend as a lock-in arrangement. We showed the videos, went through the script, did the games and discussions and concluded with a long range planning session.

After doing this a few years even I dreaded JLT because it was just so boring. So, when I became SM I decided to shake things up a bit. I combined the elements from JLT, NJLT (philmont) and Wood Badge into a customized program for our troop. I know where we are weak and I put special emphasis on those parts. Instead of the lock-in we did a weekend campout much like Wood Badge. I had a strict schedule and amazingly enough we managed to stick to it. We had a combination of lectures and discussions in the woods, some games and competitions, a couple of campfires that turned into discussions of how to make the troop operate better and, according to the boys this was the best part, I cooked all the meals for them.

While I cooked dinner they had free time and I was surprised and gratified that instead of playing football or some other sport, they spent their free time planning and discussing ideas for campouts.

It was a very successful weekend and we are in the process of formalizing the script and timeline for our next JLT in August. I think the kids benefit from being in the outdoors for this kind of training, rather than inside. They're inside so much with school, etc that the diverse environment is interesting to them and they aren't as bored, even when the same material is presented.