What do Girl Scouts do?

Often GSUSA councils will host their own camporees and winter events.

I can't see a BSA district, or council, allowing non-BSA registered youth, full Troops or misc singles, to participate at a BSA Klondike or Camporee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things they do, that I applaud, is to send the girls to summer camp without helicoptering mothers and fathers. My daughter went off to summer camp - staffed primarily by college aged girls/women who were trained staffers.

The girls of that age (9/10) adjusted better than most of the 10/11 year old boys going away for their first summer camp without mommy or daddy.

I don't get this animosity against the GSA.(This message has been edited by acco40)

If Girl Scouts are invited and attend a BSA event, they have their own insurance to cover accidents.

Remember, that Girl Scouts frequently do what is in their leaders' comfort zone. If your daughter wants her troop to move out of that zone, you as a parent need to get in there and really offer to coach and lead those activities. But, be prepared to find out that maybe your daughter and her troop-mates won't enjoy the same stuff.

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are not mirror organizations. In the beginning, there was considerable opposition to a girls' program that was too much like Scouts. People were terrified of "tomboyism." Naming the girls "guides" gave them a completely different purpose from a "scout."

Girls can do whatever they want. The program is structured differently, and if you're going to participate in it with your daughter, you have to accept those givens. Then work to show the girls and their families that the outdoors is fun and relatively safe if proper precautions are taken.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter has been a GS since she was a Kindergarden Daisy. Now, she is getting ready to start 5th grade and is a Junior. She also has been involved in Cub/Boy Scouting since before birth! She was the only one in her troop to attend summer camp this year. In the 5+ years she has been in GS, her troop has only camped in tents once and that was in the leaders back yard.

This year, the girls are doing destination meetings. Their meetings will be held someplace relevant to what they are working on. Hopefully, this works out for them.

Last year, we invited the girls to build a pinewood derby car and race it after our Cub Scout's race. They loved it! The leader found a badge from another state, and the girls all worked hard to earn it.

I am hoping her troop gets outside more. My husband and I both have offered to help with anything outdoor related. Our Boy Scout troop has offered to let them use troop camping equipment if needed.

differences in the GSA to BSA

Local option for membership.....Because of the color of our skin, School she attends, home address and age. My daughter has been denied membership in several troops.

No male leaders permitted locally. Both men and women are welcome in the BSA

Local option for membership.....Because of the color of our skin, School she attends, home address and age. My daughter has been denied membership in several troops.

Y'know, my daughter had that happen this summer. We've been trying to find a troop for her (she's going into 1st Grade) and one of her friends (daughter of one of the other ASMs in the troop I'm with) joined a GS troop. We tried to get our daughter into that troop with her friend, but were told it was full. Then later 4 more girls joined and we were told they wanted to keep it to just the girls at the same elementary school (we only live a couple of blocks away from our friends, but the school boundary runs between us). And it's not like it was some fancy private school, the two schools are in the same (kinda small) school district. The entire town only has 5,000 residents, (pretty much all the same skin color too) seems kinds silly to start dividing up by school boundaries. The town does have two Cub Scout packs that are loosely organized by elementary school, but boys move between the packs all the time.

Anyway, we're still looking. I'm a bit amazed, we have a little girl really excited about being a Girl Scout after attending a day camp this summer, but we can't find a troop for her. The latest message is we should wait until school starts and there will be information sent home sometime by the end of September.

Basement, you can disagree all you want. It doe not change the facts.

Most of the "differences" you state between BSA and GSUSA are not differences between the National programs at all. They are problems at the LOCAL level.

• 6 months later...
discriminate Your not from our neighborhood' date=' from the wrong class, too old, too young, wrong school, too tall you cannot join our troop. BTW your dad cannot start a troop because, well, he is a man. Best soup nazi voice, NO GIRLSCOUTS FOR YOU[/quote']

Incorrect... Councils make the ultimate decision but nationally, men can be leaders. There just has to be a female (unrelated) adult also with the troop, as well. All troop activities require at least two adults.

Many troops are not "location based." My troop has girls from all 5 schools in town, and 2 from other towns.

And, since this is a Boy Scout forum, I will refrain from discussing discrimination on that end...

• 2 weeks later...

Girl Scouts Fight Utah Tax Break for Boy Scouts Only! (sorry I still cannot create new topic posts so appending here)

Utah State House Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, sponsor of the tax break measure and a scoutmaster in Boy Scouts, vowed to try to revive it later by amending his bill to also benefit the Girl Scouts and possibly other youth groups.

Eliason already passed his bill through the House, but said in debate there only that any youth group meeting criteria in his bill would split money donated to a new "Youth Development Organization" fund. Taxpayers could check a box on forms to donate any amount they wish to it.

But the bill would only give to youth groups that have at least 180,000 members in the state -- which happens to be how many Boy Scouts are in traditional units in Utah, according to information Scout councils provided to The Tribune in 2011. Girl Scouts membership is about 6,000.

Boy Scouts are the largest youth group in the state by far, with most Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' congregations sponsoring units.

After the earlier House vote, Eliason acknowledged that his bill was designed so that the fund would benefit only the Boy Scouts -- and news stories about that appeared..."

But the Girl Scouts showed up Tuesday to fight the bill as it appeared before the Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee. Tuesday also happened to be "Girl Scout Day" at the Legislature, when young Girl Scouts distributed boxes of cookies to lawmakers.

Read more: [url=http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/national/girl-scouts-foil-effort-to-give-tax-break-only-to-boy-scouts-donors_8307139#ixzz2N2vQQuo3'>http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/national/girl-scouts-foil-effort-to-give-tax-break-only-to-boy-scouts-donors_8307139#ixzz2N2vQQuo3]http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/national/girl-scouts-foil-effort-to-give-tax-break-only-to-boy-scouts-donors_8307139#ixzz2N2vQQuo3[/url=http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/national/girl-scouts-foil-effort-to-give-tax-break-only-to-boy-scouts-donors_8307139#ixzz2N2vQQuo3]

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/national/girl-scouts-foil-effort-to-give-tax-break-only-to-boy-scouts-donors_8307139