Girl Scouts On the Hot Seat

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the GSUSA is Council owned rather then Charter owned. I can see sleeping bags and backpacks as personal gear rather then troop gear, as the correct one can be fitted like clothing.. BSA units also can not use the money for personal gear, as it jeapordizes the non-profit standards.. But, sounds like they can not even aquire troop tents (car camping or backpacking), Troop stoves (car or backpacking) etc..

I know unused cookie money goes to the Council. But, if the Troops can not purchase troop Gear.. Then what do they do with their cookie money?.. I am sure they make better profits with that then BSA does with popcorn. It is better received, and a box is What? $3.00 or $3.50? Still affordable, not like $15 or $20 we charge.

Makes me rethink my cookie purchase (although I do need to at least buy one box of thin mints)

Charter Organizations that provide equipment and funds.

That sounds funny to me.

Agree with SN that it's a mistake to thing that the GSUSA program does not support a vigorous outdoor program where there is demand for it, but the majority of leaders don't see the demand for it.

Most of the women who I see stepping out of the woods are not GS.

At most GS cookie sales, you can ask the sellers what their troop is planning to do with what they earn.

I have yet to meet one whose trrop was planning to attend some radical feminist rally!

Here in Europe we get $1 per box which is split between the troop and the local committee. Our OCMT get .25, and we use it to fund area-wide events, equipment purchase like tents, stoves, and dutch ovens for our area equipment locker, and troop sets of books.

Most troops use their cookie money for troop trips, but not necessarily into the woods, and to fund other troop field trips as well as supplies and awards. The girls plan how they will spend the money and the leaders should be encouraging the girls to plan as much of the trip as is practicable.

So next time you buy cookies, ask the girls what they plan to do with their profits.

Depends on your council and if you believe what your told or not....

it is 30 pack and 30 council rest trails end......so we are told.

Now that $18 box of popcorn

5.4 Pack

5.4 Council

than means trails end is charging $7.2 per box of 18...... Lets see I got some Orville for $3.5 for 12 pack.........

Just saying if ya believe what yo

Pere

The number of homosexual priests was published in two catholic magazines,(Catholic Register & American Catholic) about two years ago, a study that was initiated by the Vatican as they were dealing with pedophile issues among their clergy. The Vatican Bank from a report published by Homeland Security about 3-6 months ago.

The reason for presenting these issues were not to stir debate but to show that most American & European Catholics take what the Church says with a grain of salt because of a lack of clerical credibility, and a total lack of accountability. Why should they be taken seriously.

The GSUSA will not be greatly affected by the bishops ridiculous charges anyway you look at it, and it shows these bishops to be the truly petty people they are.

The number of homosexual priests was published in two catholic magazines,(Catholic Register & American Catholic) about two years ago, a study that was initiated by the Vatican as they were dealing with pedophile issues among their clergy. The Vatican Bank from a report published by Homeland Security about 3-6 months ago.

My Google skills are pretty good but I can't find a reference to that statistic from the National Catholic Register. Didn't check American Catholic. Would you happen to have one handy?

As far as the Vatican Bank stuff is concerned, I've not been able to find anything that says that there is more than a risk of money laundering due to its policies (and, I must say, the timing is ironic ... one would expect it would have been on the list long before considering the extent of Vatican Bank scandals in the past). The "4th leading criminal money laundering institution in the world"? Let's see a reference for that.

You are quite right that many Catholics do not take what their bishops say seriously. It makes me wonder why one ought to take your local bishop's ban on the AHG seriously. As an aside, when I try to Google that information, all I get are results about the Girl Scouts.

I suspect you are right that the GSUSA will not be much affected by bishops' prodding into their alliances. Their membership will probably continue to decline along the same slow line that it has for years.

@Moosetracker >>"I know unused cookie money goes to the Council. But, if the Troops can not purchase troop Gear.. Then what do they do with their cookie money?.. I am sure they make better profits with that then BSA does with popcorn. It is better received, and a box is What? $3.00 or $3.50? Still affordable, not like $15 or $20 we charge.

"

Pere

As far as gay priests, after a 5 min internet check, showed there are numerous references listed, including wikipedia which states, from various source, that gay priests number 15-80% whereas the other sources cited figures on the higher end of that scale. Vatican Bank, the NCR online and numerous other sources describe the scandals in vivid detail.

However my point was to show the total lack of honesty, openness, accountability, and credibility in dealing with these issues on the part of the Vatican. So the GSUSA attack is nothing more than another diversionary tactic on their part.

Again, the GSUSA is losing numbers at about the same rate as the BSA, the real reason is that most kids these days are so tied to their twitter, facebook, etc., they are not as interested anymore in learning anything outside the scope of their I-pads. A sad commentary on our technocentric society today.

@Peregrinator >>"I suspect you are right that the GSUSA will not be much affected by bishops' prodding into their alliances. Their membership will probably continue to decline along the same slow line that it has for years."

As far as gay priests, after a 5 min internet check, showed there are numerous references listed, including wikipedia which states, from various source, that gay priests number 15-80% whereas the other sources cited figures on the higher end of that scale. Vatican Bank, the NCR online and numerous other sources describe the scandals in vivid detail.

I was thinking of the specific charges you made against the Vatican Bank: "The Vatican Bank has been listed by our own government as the 4th leading criminal money laundering institution in the world." What Catholic publication printed that? I'm well aware of the scandals surrounding the Vatican Bank in particular and Catholic Church in general.

If one is going to cite facts then he ought to have references for them.

I'll add, further, that the bishops are not "attacking" the GSUSA. They are asking questions of them. Is it unreasonable for an organization to ask questions of another organization that they sponsor (though I understand that sponsorship of GS troops is nothing like chartering Boy Scout troops)? I've noticed some comments on the web of people calling for the GSUSA to "investigate" the bishops. If there is some sort of relationship between the two, then that is certainly reasonable. If the values of the Church and those of the GSUSA are in conflict, then it is not surprising that the bishops would want to ask questions of the GSUSA. What is surprising is that the GSUSA would want to be involved with the Church.

ScoutNut - I have been told that if the troop does not use all the money in their account by the end of the year, that they have to turn the excess over to the council.. So they can't save up for a trailer or some large item..

But, what everyone is saying, they never could have saved up for a trailer or equipment.. Not personal equipment, but for the troop.. Is that because a troop is more like a den, so that troop equipment could easily become personal gear?

Yes BSA units spend money on events and awards, but alot of money goes into their equipment. BSA does the camping equipment & trailers, but Cubbers buy pinewood Derby sets, and I know some with amplifoers (maybe not needed for a small GS troop).. Large Drink Jugs, chuckwagons (ours bought popcorn machines & hotdog stands for fundraising at town events).. BSA units can fill a closet, or storage unit or someones Garage and then some!

Peregrinator

I'll add, further, that the bishops are not "attacking" the GSUSA. They are asking questions of them. Is it unreasonable for an organization to ask questions of another organization that they sponsor

excerpt from article.

Some of the concerns raised by Catholic critics are recycled complaints that have been denied by the Girl Scouts' head office repeatedly and categorically. It says it has no partnership with Planned Parenthood, and does not take positions on sexuality, birth control and abortion.

Girl Scout leaders hope the bishops' apprehensions will be eased once they gather information. But there's frustration within the iconic youth organization known for its inclusiveness and cookie sales that it has become such an ideological target, with the girls sometimes caught in the political crossfire.

Questions asked around the 1600's

Goodie Hawkins claims you were seen walking past her chicken coop on the last full moon, and the next day some of her chickens stopped laying eggs.. Then last week Goodie Hawkins grew a pimple on her chin, and had an ache in her back. She knows you are now cursing her..

Did you put a curse on Goodie Hawkins and her chickens?