GSUSA allowing trangender scouts

Girl Scout Forums are lit up on this and the leaders are not happy. This child is still being identified as a boy by his parents. Cross dressing does not mean gay or transgendered. I know we'd lose girls and leaders over this, including me.

The child dresses like a girl in school, identifies as a girl, acts as a girl. Mom may call the child a boy but still allows the child to present as a girl. Seems to me the child falls well within the statement of the Girl Scouts - a statement that doesn't mention transgenderism, sexual orientation or cross-dressing. It's a statement on gender identity which isn't about actual gender.

And here just 2-3 days ago vol_scouter was upset he could not join the Girl Scouts, and I was going to campaign for him..But stated that boys normally did not want into the Girl Scouts..

Wrong on both accounts.

Boys do want into the girl scouts. And it seems I will not campaign for VS if he just changes his outfit...

PS.. Before VS sues me for slander.. This is all tongue-in-cheek.. Although said.. VS really doesn't want into the GS, he was just trying to proove a point.

Gender identity is such a difficult concept for most of us to fathom. We can't wrap our minds around it. The overwhelming majority, very nearly all, of us are born with body and psyche in tune. A very few people are born with different wiring. Being the parent of such a child, not to mention the child themselves, must be terrifically difficult.

I'm curious. For those who think the BSA needs to lighten up on the membership requirements, has the GSUSA finally crossed a line you wouldn't want to cross, or is this something the BSA should consider doing?

Just wondering where you draw the line.

BDPT00

BDPT, why should there be a "line" at all??

Character is irrespective of gender (or gender identity) and I feel our mission to develop character in young people should be blind to gender (and gender identity). It's terribly unfortunate that some people want to draw a bright line between those they deem worthy of our mission and those they feel are not worthy.

Well then, count me among the unenlightened who think that an eleven year old boy shouldn't share a tent with an eleven year old girl, regardless of what gender either thinks they are, what the tentmate thinks of it, or what the parents think about it. I guess that if it's good enough for GSUSA, who am I to question it?

BDPT00

*IF* the Girl scouts group he joined does *ANY* camping, then he will probably get his own tent.. Remember it is rare to find a GS group that does do the camping piece.

But, the question will be if they go to summer camp with a cabin where it has 8 or more to a cabin, it would be hard then to give him his own cabin..

This parent should view their parenthood experience as a FAILURE. It is one thing for your 16 year old teenage son or daughter to come home one day and say Dad I am gay. It is another animal for your 7 year old to like dolls, dress and act like a girl.

IMO at the age of 3 or 4 this should have been dealt with and corrected. I am going to guess this little fellow has no father beyond the sperm donor, No positive male role models and probably had no exposure to boys till he entered elementary school.....An isolated kid. See it more and more.

It is the parents role to guide, teach, console and show love. Well this parent did not guide or teach appropriately.