Confiscating Snacks?

My daughter is going for her first ever week at summer camp Sunday and I was going over the list of what to, and what not to pack and it states any snack foods will be confiscated.

I can understand, and agree with no cell phones, spray cans, flammables, etc.. but snack foods? Granted, the majority of my Scouting experience is from Boy Scouts, and I regurlarly scratch my head at some of the GSUSA policies, and organizational structure(or lack thereof), but care packages from home with your favorite snacks, is in my opinion, part of the summer camp experience. Heck, my old troop encouraged parents to send some comfort food especially for first year scouts.

Depending on the location, this could be a safety issue. Bears, raccoons, foxes, other critters. Or it could be a nutrition issue...some kids won't eat what's served, if they know they have their "stash" of junk food to fall back on.

This has been a rule since the 70's when I was going to camp. In our case, it was ants, bees, and raccoons that didn't need to be in our three feet off the ground platform tents. And there was no trading post with candy bars, either. However, we had really, really good food and lots of it!!!

It's not a bear issue, and I undertand about the other critters. My first tentmate at Cub Camp had peanut butter in his bag under his cot and we had racoons and skunks in our tent first night. I thought it was cool, but he nearly crapped himself.

I can see the nutrional aspect, our dining hall always had PB&J for the kids that wouldn't eat camp food. I never understood why, because camp food was pretty good. I was just hoping I could stash some goodies in a tupperware container and put them in her foot locker. I wasn't going to tell her, but now I don't want her to get in trouble. I'll put some notes from home in there for her to find.

Growing up, my boys ate almost everything. #2 son drew the line at Lima Beans (which he still won't eat at age 27), and #1 son is now a gourmet cook and restaurant manager. When I first re-engaged in Scouting, early 80's, I was amazed at the kids whose diet consisted of hot dogs, pizza, french fries and junk food. The dining hall would serve things like pork chops, roast chicken, fresh green beans, corn, salad bar, etc. and it would go untouched. (More for us adults!). But right after meal time, the line would form at the trading post for candy, ice cream and sodas!

• 1 month later...

Perhaps late to respond to this post, but this is a big issue for us. Getting rid of unapproved food is on our "check-in" checklist at every campout. So far, I've never had to confiscate any, because we make it clear on the packing list what NOT to bring. In each GS troop I work with, we have more than one scout with severe or life-threatening food allergies -- that's Reason #1. Reason #2 is critters. Reason #3 is that Ms. Tia will NOT have squished candies and gum in her tents, or the council rentals.

Tee hee. I'm now remembering a certain young man, many years ago, who woke my husband with his screaming that he was being attacked by a "bear." There he was, laced up in his hammock between two trees, with a white-tailed deer trying to eat the contraband chocolate bar he had in his pocket. Right through the fabric. Bwahahahaha. The kid lived.

In our troops, the girls help plan menus, so everybody has SOMETHING she likes to eat among the offerings (even if she decides to eat just apples for one meal; her affair) and so that everybody is SAFE. Much more trouble than just doing it for them, but they learn SO much. Takes half a meeting, LOL. But they learn to be considerate and caring, and to be a sister to every Girl Scout. And no emergency transports or deer incidents.