Well, might as well join in on the fun...

Glen Miller (from my parents), ELO (different from ELP!), Meatloaf, Boston, and the Eagles from my 2 older brothers, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, & Rachmaninoff (just from curiosity w/ a little help from a college piano teacher - love those 2 credit courses). Most importantly, Lynrd Skynrd and Charlie Daniels Band (aka CDB) courtesy of all the older guys and leaders in my troop who sat around the campfire and actually played guitars and a fiddle (yes Virginia, there are rednecks in NJ). To that we add in Metallica (1 Heavy Metal Band + San Francisco Symphony Orch. = 1 awesome double cd album), Kid Rock, Eminem (lyrics not for the faint of heart - but his creativity is amazing), Queens of the Stone Age, Good Charlotte, and healthy dose of whatever rock is coming out of the alternative stations these days.

Swinging back the other way - we'll add in Garth Brooks, some of Alan Jacksons stuff, Toby Keith, the Dixie Chicks (just wish they'd stick to singing, rather than sticking their foots in their mouths), and of course, Shania Twain. (Mutt Lang - have you seen the way this guy looks?! I can't believe she passed me up to marry this bum....).

Finally - if I had to choose only one to spend my days on a deserted island with, it'd have to be Billy Joel. (Songs In the Attic - best live album ever made, IMHO).

A whole other thread could be started on what the Scouts are listening to.

Rock on,

Gags

Washington, D.C.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to songs you can sing at the campfire, Simon and Garfunkel have a couple of good ones. We did "Bridge Over Troubled Water" at the closing campfire of JLTC about a dozen years ago and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. A lot of the Motown stuff sounds pretty good around the campfire as well, especially since the kids know a lot of the words (from being stuck in the car with their parents).

Some other good stuff to listen to is CSNY and if you really want to get deep, Traffic.

Scoutldr, I like your choices. I love a ripping guitar that accompanies a great horn section (like Chicago and Brian Setzer). Being a child of the 80's, its hard to believe I can't stand synthesizer music.

A great marching song is the "Banana Boat Song" by Harry Belefonte. I did that with the Scouts in my troop once and they loved it.

What other "popular" songs are good to sing around the campfire?

The greatest song of all times from the Greatest Movie of all times:

chorus):

Follow me boys, follow me,

When you think your really beat

That the time to lift your feet,

And follow me boys, follow me,

Pick'em up, put'em down and follow me,

Pick'em up, put'em down pick'em up.

There's a job to do,

There's a fight to win,

And it won't be time till we all pitch in,

Lift your chin with a grin and follow me.

(chorus)

It's a long long climb,

But we've got the will,

When we reach the top

Then It's all down hill,

Till you drop don't you stop and follow me.

(chorus)

So the journeys end

Is beyond our sight,

If we do our best

And we've done alright,

Pack your load, hit the road and follow me.