• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Ricky, for sure. Another of my favorite torture songs:

"...someone left the cake out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it, for it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again, ooohhh noooooo!"

Diabolical! I'll enjoy the rest of this day thinking of how many of you won't be able to get that one out of your minds.

My taste is very ecclectic. Most anything but rap and Gospel.

But if forced to endure a 20 hour car ride with just one CD and no radio (how would I make it without Rush Limbaugh?), I'd take Grover Washington.

Bread's Greatest Hit's would be second choice.

Mark

Right now I'm in an 80's Hair Band/Heavy Metal Phase (Oh how I will never get out of my High School days). But my all time favorites are:

Kiss, Boston, The Cult, Pearl Jam, Styx, Journey, Great White, Supertramp, Rush, Ozzy, Bush, Creed, Human League, U2,

BTW the best CD I have bought in a long time was the Soundtrack to "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" Long live the Soggy Bottom Boys!!!!

mk9750,

No Gospel? I'm surprised. You should hear a good choir live, you might change your mind. Any way, if I need a tune to lift my spirits, I find Gospel music can get the job done. I also enjoy Motown - In my mind, the Supremes blow away the Beatles. Bottom Line - I enjoy most music, like you - from classical to country. I too, don't like RAP. In fact, I really hate the stuff. I don't like the style, and most often, I deplore the message. A friend of mind described RAP very succinctly as diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of heavy metal and punk bands. Theyre just too obnoxious. With these few exceptions, you can find my car radio tuned to just about any station.

Dittos on the Rush Limbaugh comment...But that's another thread. ;-)

Rooster7,

I fear sounding elitist with this comment, and if I do, I am sorry. I really think what I will be guilty of is too much pride, or maybe just too much a compfort level, in my own religion. But what I will say is not meant to offend.

As a Catholic, I find Gospel music too "preachy". Good or bad, when most everything religous you have ever known is going to Catholic Mass, and doing everything in the same order, and singing the same 25 songs over and over for years, you build up a comfort level for the familiar. Gospel is outside of my comfort zone. Can't say I don't like it, but I surely don't have an appreciation for it.

I have to admit to being a little envious when I see depictions of "revival" type services. They certainly look more fun than Mass.

This topic for me is a great study in how kids are much like their parents. When I go into my oldest son's room to wake him, he could be listening to Dave Mathews Band one day, Glen Miller the next, Mozart the next day, and the Beatles the day after that. He REALLY has a wide variety of music that suites his taste. But ask him what music he doesn't like, and he teel you rap and Gospel. I think the first time I ever heard him say that, I tried to remember if I had ever said the same thing to him or in front of him, and I don't believe I ever did. I guess the apple truly doesn't fall far from the tree. Too bad for him!

Check out your kid's (our your parents') taste in music. I'll bet there is more of a similiarity than you first thought.

Mark

I've got hundreds of CDs. Everything from Beethoven to Robert Johnson to Frank Sinatra to Led Zep to Willie Nelson to AC/DC to The Clash to U2 to Barenaked Ladies.

But the only thing I really need is Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Because it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

Packsaddle,

A couple of years ago, I bought a new turntable. I also have lots of wax to play. Everyone in my family has given me their albums because they can't play theirs anymore. Let's see: lots of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Maynard Ferguson, Jim Reeves, Mountain, Creedance Clearwater Revival,,,,,,

The sound is very different than CD's. The audio range is different, and yes except for the occassional snap, crackle, or pop, I like it better. But you've got to have the system to play it on.

sst3rd