Need venture crew advice

Name calling? That is trule uneeded. A simple I'm sorry I was wrong would have been fine.

ASM514 you say you know the Handbook, I simply asked for the correct reference. The one you offered does not exist. Nor does any reference in scouting give the task of finding adult leaders to the youth members as you stated it did. You began this by saying I was dead wrong and yet you have not given a lick of evidence to back up your rudeness.

You corporation may be a CO but you sir are not. You would be the IH. The IH is a person the CO is not.

When you say lets talk real time instead of book time. What does that mean? If you are suggesting we match experience, you will have to trust me that is not a road you want to travel.

Bob White

Gentlemen,

I started this thread in an attempt to get some knmowledge about the selection of leaders for a Venturing Crew.

There has been a lot of good information discussed so far. But, can we are going to have to agree to disagree and DEBATE the issues rather than ARGUE with personal jabs.

Thanks,

OX

>You corporation may be a CO but you sir are not.

I sir own this corporation, and I am the CO. You may not like that, but give me a fax number and I will be glad to fax you my Chater with my signature on it. Now I am getting very tired of your GOD attitude here. I have been in Scouting 32 years and I am not about to let you tell me that all I have learned and been trained in is not up to your standards. You can go to H&^^

ASM514

THIS IS ALL GARBAGE!!

>ASM514, I'm glad you can recite the manual, I find it hard to believe, but I'm happy for you.

Then you already know that nowhere does the BSA give the responsibility or authority of adult selection to the youth members in any program. In fact if you recall page 18 'Volunteer Leadership Position Descriptions of Adult Leaders' sub-heading Chartered Organization the second bullet reads (shall we recite it together?) "Recruits adult advisors and committee members".

Then on the same page under the sub-heading "Charter Organization Representative" it says "His or her primary job is to recuit the crew committee and help it to recruit an Advisor and associate Advisors."

On Page 19, in a continuation of the sub-heading "Crew Committee" in the second paragraph..."The crew committee sees to it that the crew has an Advisor and at least one associate Advisor at all times. If a vacancy occurs a crew committee member becomes the temporary Advisor. The committee takes immediate steps to recruit the right person to fill the vacancy."

If there is any reference to the youth selecting adult leadership I missed it in the Handbook and in the training syllabus. Please refresh my memory, where exactly did you get your information. The Venture Leaders Manual you recommend that I read does not exist. Venture is a patrol in a troop. The BSA does publish a Venturing Leaders Handbook but the the Crew Rules you suggest I read does not exist in that handbook. There is a section on Crew Code and Bylaws, but it says nothing of crew members selecting adult leadership.

Since you have it memorized, pointing to the reference should be know problem. (by the way I find it much easier to not memorize the Handbooks but to just look it up as I need the information, that way I minimize making unfounded statements.)

Last question, how does one get to be a CO (Charter Organization)? I know individuals who are Institutional Heads (IH), Charter Organization representatives (COR), and Committee Chairs (CC). But how is a person a CO?

BOB HAS OBVIOUSLY FORGETTEN WHO RUNS A VENTURE CREW. TELL ME BOB, WHO RUNS A VENTURE CREW? THE CREW!!!!! IF THEY SELECT A LEADER THEY WISH TO BE THEIR ADVISOR, THE COMMITTEE PUTS THAT PERSON THROUGH THE PROCESS. NOW WHAT WAS YOUR IDEA? CREW HAS NO SAY WHO THEIR LEADERS ARE.... ADULTS CHOOSE WHO WILL LEAD THEM... ADULT WILL DECIDE THEIR EVENTS..... SOUNDS LIKE BOB WHITE IS A CUB SCOUT LEARDER. ARE YOU FEELING A LITTLE EXPOSED AS THE IDIOT I SAID YOU WERE HERE BOB?

GOD HAS FALLEN FROM HIS PEDISTAL.

ASM 514

Oxcops

All scout units in the traditional programs which include Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturing, are offered to the youth in a community through local organizations and businesses in accordance with the Congessional Carter of the BSA. This is done through an annual Chartered Agreement which is signed by the IH of the Charter Institution and a representative of the local BSA Council.

Every IH has the responsibility of assigning a Charter Organization Repesentative who selects and approves a Committee Chair. Together they select and approve all committee members and adult leadership. This is true at all program levels.

Through a progression of developmental stages youth participants mosve from a program planned by adults to one one planned by youth. However the Unit Committee of adult volunteers never cease responsible for selection and approval of all adult leaders. In Venturing, the program belongs jointly to the Charter Organization and the BSA, the youth crew members have the responsibility to plan their program under the guidance of an Advisor and at least one associate Advisor (as referenced in the Venturing Leaders handbook). It is flattering that the crew mwmbers want you as their leader but that is a decision and responsibility of the adulkt committee

ASM514

Please reference any section of any leaders handbook or training syllabus that says anything different.

32 years in scouting? Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Cheerful, Clean, any of these sound familiar?

Bob White

asm514,

Perhaps you are familiar with other forums around the internet where flaming, name calling and rudeness are common activities. I know you are fairly new here and may think that this forum operates like any other forum out there......it doesn't. Your behavior is very unbecoming for a scout leader. We disagree here often, but we do it like gentlemen about 99% of the time. Please look around to see what I'm talking about. The moderator seems to be fairly tolerant, but it is within their power to ban a person. I fear that you could be headed down that path. The idea behind these forums is to exchange ideas, not insults.

Flaming? Maybe, but I am just sick to death of it. Bob White has a motive to prove, no matter how hard he has to do it, just how inferior everyone is to his premier career in Scouting. Nobody can have an opinion other than his or he recites passages from the bible to prove everone wrong. I am sorry, but he is not a leader I would ever respect in our unit, or district.

ASM514

ASM514, take it private or sign off. You've been asked by two others to cut the rudeness, I'm number 3.

Many of us enjoy the forums but don't have time to waste wading through name calling & insults. I take everything I read hear with a grain of salt, sometimes two. You probably will wait a long time for an offline resaponse from BobWhite but go for it if you upon insist comparing accolades. I've spent the last week working w/ Cub Scouts & Den Chiefs & adult volunteers at Day Camp. The one thing that I say almost as often as "That' Super!" or "Remember, Do Your Best" is "We're here to have fun, lets make sure that everyone is having a god time."

My point... in soite of training & precamp meetings even adults forget that its hard to have fun when your feeling insulted or that you're not respected. Check your "Scoutmatster's Minutes" regarding the difference between building walls & tearing them down.

'nuff said. The washing machine just finished & it looks like a clear weekend at the shore. (If I can just get packed....)

Bob

ps - I'm voting for spell check as well...