UPDATE - Approved GSUSA Uniform and Program Changes

Adopted by National Board of Directors of Girl Scouts of the USA at meeting held August 26, 2006.

PROGRAM MODEL ENDORSEMENT

MOVED by Sharon Matthews, and seconded,

RESOLVED, That the National Board endorses a Girl Scout Leadership Development Program whose purpose is to build leadership skills by engaging girls in activity cycles based on the values of the Girl Scout Promise and Law and the vision expressed in the Girl Scout mission statement: Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place; and further

RESOLVED, That this action be effective October 1, 2008, and supersede and rescind all previous National Board action on the Girl Scout Program Model - 4 program goals.

Adopted

AMENDMENT OF MEMBERSHIP STANDARDS

MOVED by Mrs. Matthews, and seconded,

WHEREAS, To meet the needs of girls, it is necessary to differentiate groups by grade level, thereby requiring a realignment of membership age groups and the addition of a new identifying name; and WHEREAS, To strengthen the Girl Scout brand, the words Girl Scout will be included and emphasized at the beginning of each identifying name;

RESOLVED, That the following membership age groups and identifying names be effective October 1, 2008:

Grades Names

K-1 Girl Scout Daisy

2-3 Girl Scout Brownie

4-5 Girl Scout Junior

6-8 Girl Scout Cadette

9-10 Girl Scout Senior

11-12 Girl Scout Ambassador

and further RESOLVED, That this action supersede and rescind all previous National Board action on membership standards. Adopted

GIRL SCOUT UNIFORM MOVED by Sharon Matthews, and seconded,

WHEREAS, It is necessary to update Girl Scout uniform requirements; RESOLVED, That the Girl Scout uniform shall be such that

The following elements are required:

Girl Scouts at each level will have one official uniform item (e.g. tunic, vest, sash) for the display of official pins and awards. This uniform item will be required when girls participate in ceremonies or officially represent the Girl Scout Movement.

The official dress code will unite girls as Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts will wear solid white shirts and khaki pants or skirts with their official uniform item, which will be required when they participate in ceremonies or officially represent the Girl Scout Movement.

The adult uniforms will be a scarf worn with the membership pins for women and a tie for men. The scarf/tie and membership pins will be worn with navy blue business attire.

The following elements are available:

Girl Scouts at the Daisy and Brownie levels will continue to have a full uniform ensemble available.

Girl Scouts in high school will also have a scarf, uniting them in the WAGGGS tradition.

Girl Scouts of the USA will continue to develop and offer a range of appealing casual wear for girls and adults.

And further

RESOLVED, That this action be effective October 1, 2008, and supersede and rescind all previous National Board action taken on Girl Scout uniforms.

Adopted

As a GSUSA newbie, I am ok with the program and uniform changes.

I really appreciate the idea that they stuck with the traditional names.

The grade splits seems to be fairly cohesive at the younger levels.

The uniforms work for me and look forward to a universal WAGGGS look.

I will wait to hear from any and all "experienced" leaders as to their $.02 worth on the program and uniform changes.

Personally, I think it is a hoot that after all of their posturing and going on about their great in-depth research on Studio-2B, the going away from level names to simply Girls Scouts 11-17, and girls preferring to name their own "clubs", that we are once again back to Cadette and Senior Girl Scouts!

I guess they finally realized that the "Hot Pants Club" might not be such a good name for a Girl Scout Troop. I think it also helped that the GIRLS were VERY vocal about their dislike of the whole thing.

I REALLY hope that their "in-depth research" this time was done better and more "in-depth" than their last go around. It does look better and sounds promising, but we shall see what kind of programing they come up with to go along with the new levels.

It looks like the Junior level will see the least change. They have basically always been grades 4-6 and with the Junior program being pretty new, GSUSA might not change much at all.

The Brownie program the way it is now can be done in 2 years. Making it grades 2-3 would start the girls off with better reading, writing & communication skills.

Having Cadette be just 2 years, grades 7-8, is not bad. My girls did Cadette in that time frame & got a LOT accomplished. They earned one of their religious emblems along with their Girls Scout Silver Award (old way).

The Senior/Ambassador levels could be interesting based on the programing involved. I wonder if this means YET ANOTHER rewrite for the GS Silver & Gold Awards?

The level that is the most problematic in my mind is Daisy in grades K-1. That program will have to be completely redone. I can NOT see doing the current Daisy program for 2 years.

Well, GSUSA has 2 years to whip a program together. Of course they will also be dealing with the merging councils and all of the changes that will entail.

I guess the only thing we can do is ride it out with our fingers crossed that they do a decent job of it. Unfortunately, based on past experience, I have my doubts.

Please GSUSA, surprise me!!

Studio 2B - This crazy thing was never "supposed" to be a GS level. It is a type of programing for "Girl Scouts 11-17". Since GSUSA has dumped tons of $$ into this, I doubt it will be scrapped. It will most likely be part (all? :( ) of the programing for Cadette, Senior & Ambassador Girl Scouts.

GSUSA is now taking program ideas for all levels. Send them an e-mail with your comments & ideas. They do seem to be listening somewhat.

Campus GS - They are not youth members. Campus GS are considered adult volunteers. I am sure GSUSA will get to the volunteers eventually, but for now Campus GS are not changing, except for the uniform thing.

Actually, it's not such a change. Even though uniforms are not technically required, girls now are supposed to wear their uniform any time they are participating in something in view of the public. Some of these would be a flag ceremony for your PTA, town, or whoever; Girl Scout Sunday; Destinations; any photo op; etc.

"Studio 2B - This crazy thing was never "supposed" to be a GS level. It is a type of programing for "Girl Scouts 11-17". Since GSUSA has dumped tons of $$ into this, I doubt it will be scrapped. It will most likely be part (all? ) of the programing for Cadette, Senior & Ambassador Girl Scouts."

really? The whole program wasn't clear to me as to whether it was an alternate program for GS 11-17 or the new/replacement program for Girl 11-17.

• 4 months later...

I am glad that the levels are (sort of) going back to the way they were...my girls (6th - 8th grade) never really embraced S2B and decided from day one to be 'Cadettes'. I just wonder how long it will take them to rewrite the IP books to make them more age appropriate. My girls are somewhat baffled by the layers of requirements for the Silver Award. My co-leader and I (I am 51 and she is a few years younger) were reminiscing last night about our days as Cadettes and we both miss the days when a GS had 1 handbook per level, with all the badges and awards in it that were signed off by a leader when completed. We didn't have countless numbers of booklets and guides to buy for everything, and we still learned and achieved plenty.

Yup - Sometimes it seems that the whole purpose of some of the changes GSUSA makes is simply to make more money.

Charms & jewlery that cost significantly more than a patch (& actually significantly more than similar retail products).

All of those Focus Books that are not supposed to be copied, forcing every girl in a Troop to purchase their own. Or, forcing leaders of Troops who can't afford all of that expense, to be copyright pirates by purchasing 1 book & photocopying it!

Insisting girls use the original "Go For It" Focus Book (not a copy) when doing their Silver & Gold paperwork.

And if the boys think their uniforms are impractical, expensive & fit funny, they should wear what the girls have for a while & they will NEVER complain again!

I must say that I was happy to see the "older" girls split up into the 3 levels. Now we will see if they get their own program materials, or if GSUSA will stay with 1 basic program (Studio 2B?) for girls from 6th to 12th grade. Hopefully they will go with separate programs for each level, but I am not holding my breath on that one.