Here I am, looking at the Junior Program for next year. Our council only organizes one campout a year (Camporee) so it's up to our troop to develope an outdoor program.

I'd love to hear advice, anecdotes, "stop, start, continue" reflections from those who have gone camping with their GS troops.

I think that key thing is what to you or the girls define as camping.

( i.e. In a tent on the floor in a sleeping bag or at camp on a bed in a cabin? )

It's also going to depend on the amount of equipment that the girls or the troop has.

Rich

Howdy :)

First key concept in Girl Scouting is progression. Do you have a copy of Outdoor Education in Girl Scouting? Actually the earlier edition of the book has a better chart of outdoor progression. These steps are commonly talked about in GS circles: Look out, meet out, move out, explore out, cook out, sleep out, camp out, pack out.

As an example, this is how the progression has played out with the girls in the troops I work with so far.

Starting in brownies, we learned basic skills during troop meetings like how to roll or stuff different types of sleeping bags, how to pack gear efficiently, what to wear for different activities and for the weather, we met outside for troop meetings as often as possible so girls were used to dressing properly for conditions, I wrote newsletter articles about proper footwear (can get muddly and can climb trees) and buying good quality sturdy clothing and equipment inexpensively (parents need to learn along with the girls!), went to the yearly Service Unit Spring Encampment (always takes place indoors - troop houses or multipurpose rooms - bleah.) and used that as an opportunity for learning to use kaper charts and prepare meals, and we did a hike and cookout as a troop each year (should have done these more often...), and we did a longer trip up to a youth hostel at Itasca State Park.

In Juniors, we continued to do all of the above (particularly because we are always taking in new girls) but skills are taught by girls and we utilize the patrol system, we plan troop overnights for every season of the year (wish we could move up to monthly, but families just don't really see their girls camping *that* much) so we do indoor camping in the cold months and tent camping in the summer months - we practice setting up tents and dining flies during troop meetings. Our indoor camping tends to be at our Council's camps, and our tent camping tends to be at state park group campsites.

*If* I were moving on with our older girls who are bridging, I'd introduce them to backpacking and canoe camping but the leader who is moving up is not as physically fit for too much strenuous outdoor activity. They might opt for some travel car camping - the leader who is moving on does quite a bit of that with her family.

Also, this summer I am instituting "endless summer beach parties" at our local city park beach to help encourage girls to develop as swimmers - once a week I'll be there with each week's party "hosted" by one of our troop's patrols.

Let me know how goes it!

Anne in Mpls

Hi, Troop Dad!

I personally define camping as in a tent without electricity. I'm sure not all the girls do. Last year at our first camporee, serveral arrived at camp with fully equipped -- luggage. And everything their Mom could think of that they *might* need. This was a wake up call to me (been camping with my family all my life and love backpacking) that more preparation for camping was needed!

As I am thinking about how to begin to introduce the patrol method, we will have to do some brainstorming as well about raising funds for equipment, and what to buy as a troop. Currently, we have access to what individual families own. IMHO, getting a bunch of 9 year old girls to settle for the night will be way easier in 2 man tents, then to have the whole gaggle in a big family tent.

As for my hopes for the troop. I think I'd like to start with a day hike in September, followed by an overnight at a local state or county park in October. My goal is for them to be comfortable with a couple nights at a walk-in primative site by the end of their second year.

Hi Anne!

I think you'll be hearing from me... alot :-) I'm saving your post and plan to track down the publication you mentioned!

Have you taken the outdoor training from your council? There are different levels of training to correspond to the outdoor progression of girls. Many of your questions should be answered there. The training is also mandatory in order to be able to take your girls camping.

PS - You should feel lucky that your council organizes anything in the way of a campout. Many, including mine, do not. They leave ALL orgnizing of that kind of thing up to the SU's, Troops, & older girls.

Now, with the coming of ginormous councils (& ginormous SU's down the road too), I doubt that, in the future, you will find many council organized events at all.

Yes, Lots more training to do *sigh*. I only have one more to do for cub scouts (BALOO -- I jumped into the program with a Webelos den), and now can set aside my personal training time for GS... but need to get in ASM training in there too....

Can I get graduate degree credit for this? A Master's degree in American Scouting?