Daisy Girl Scouts

I have a daughter who is entering a Daisy troop, and I'm not familiar with this at all. The troop she is entering has meetings twice a month, some activities with a service unit (I think I have that right) throughout the year, and all petals are earned during meetings rather than on her own or as a mix of meetings & at home. Also, it seems that parents must register to take part in activities, so we are doing that as well.

This is a big step for a little girl, and I wonder if you could tell me a little more about Daisy Girl Scouts so we are better prepared as a family. Thanks.

I can't tell you much more about the DGS program, but I was in charge of sewing those darn petals on my daughter's vest. Get out your geometry books and protractors because getting the angles right is a nightmare. Since you only get a one or a few petals at a time, you need to place them so that in the end all will fit and it will look reasonable. Whoever came up with that idea clearly didn't have to sew the petals on themselves.

There are 10 petals, which means they need to be sewn on axes that are 36 degree angles with each other. Picture a wheel with 10 spokes. The anlge between adjacent spokes is 36 degrees. The petals would be centered on each spoke.

What they need is a big daisy patch with "fuzzy" velcro where the petals will go, or something similar.