Cub Scout Committe member; Girl Scout Leader

In a conversation with other Scouters, someone said the only day you can retire the American Flag is on June 14 (Flag day). I have seen the ceremonies preform all year long. I don't see this spelled out in the CFR TITLE 36 Chapter 10 Section (k). Is June 14 the only "Proper" day to retire an American Flag?

If you can only retire a flag on June 14, then a whole lot of American Legioners, VFW'ers Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Police and Firemen were wrong in our county last Sept 11th when we retired American flags in remembrance of 9/11/2001.

Worked so well, we plan on doing it again. The only thing I have ever seen on retiring a flag is according to Title 36, section 176, of the United States Code: "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America;"

Paragraph K of this same section, states: "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

Any day is a good day to retire an Ameircan flag if it is done with dignity and respect.

Run a search on "Flag Retirement" and see what you get. On site will tell you that you must not, under any circumstance, cut the flag. The next will say you absolutely cut the canton from the field and burn the stripes first. The next says, with equal authority, you must burn the canton first.

It's all hokum. As OGE notes, the only requirement is that it be done with dignity and respect. Find a ceremony you like and use it.

But here's a nice touch our CM added to our last ceremony. Ask all veterans to please step forward (works best at a district or concil event with more folks). When they after they come forward, the presenter makes some general remarks about duty to country (I do't have the precise script). then individually shakes their hand and thanks them for their service. The honor guard then gives each of them a piece of the stripes to place on the fire. (You need someone on the color guard who can quickly figure how many pieces are needed.) In our ceremony, the canton is burned last.

This was a very moving addition to the ceremony. Many of the veterans came back up after the campfire and thanked us for including them.

We just returned from Webelos Resident camp where we had a flag retirement at the campfire last night. It was different from others I had seen. They had all Eagle Scouts and Veterans come forward to inspect the flag before it was burned. It was explained that the next morning, the ashes from the fire would be taken somewhere on the campgrounds and buried. However, they would be sifted first for the grommets. The grommets are the only part that will not burn and they will be sent to a veteran who will keep them and show them the proper respect they deserve. It brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eyes.