How is it supposed to be?

I have 2 girls and 2 boys, so it is important to me that they all get a good program. The oldest is a Bear, #2 is a Brownie.

The Brownie Troop meets once a month, in school, over the lunch hour/recess. They have had maybe two or three weekend outings in addition. The group has earned about 3 or 4 Try-its as part of their program.

We have had no celebratory meeting at the end of the year. (even their Daisy Bridging last year was at a regular meeting, not many parents could attend, even if they had been invited.) There does not appear to be any organization other than a Troop Leader mom and an assistant mom.

On the plus side, they have 100% of the girls in the 1st grade as they only needed to buy a vest and there is really no additional time committment.

We bought the Try-it book and Brownie handbook last summer so my daughter could work on the requirements. She has about 10-12 Try-its earned. She has attended a few Council events that we found out about online, not through the Troop.

Is this the norm for how Brownie Troops operate?

I like a few of the aspects of the Brownie program, but at this point, I really wish there was a Cub Scouting for Girls program. (not girls in existing Dens; their own units).

I can only relate my own experience. I have a daughter, 11, who is in Girl Scouts. They have about 7 girls in their unit. They meet every week right after school, at the school. The do a couple of overnight outings each year, a lock-in, and then some other trip that changes from year to year. They don't camp; rumor is it's mostly the moms who aren't into camping. This seems pretty widespread in our area, since the governing unit (forget what they call it) has sold it's campgrounds. My daughter's unit does have special events, sometimes built into their meetings. The Daisy Bridging was built into a regular meeting; because it was after school, I was able to leave work a bit early to attend. It was mostly moms, tho. They do have an end of year party at one of the parents' houses who has a pool, on a weekend. And, they have an annual Daughter/Daddy dance on a Friday night.

Personally, I find them not as well organized as Boy Scouts, but that's just my perception from the outside.

Our family has been heavily involved in both the Boy and Girl Scout program for many years. Your daughter's Brownie Troop meeting during the middle of the school day is unusual. Not making the bridging ceremony an important event, that most parents can attend, is also unusual.

In our family's opinion (including my wife - a troop, cluster and community leader for a dozen years - and daughter, a Gold Award recipient), the BSA program is much more varied and intense, especially at the older ages. At the younger ages, they are somewhat comparable. But in the teen years, the BSA seems to have its act more together while the Girl Scout program does not seem to capture the same level of interest for maturing girls. Obviously, local leadership can make a huge difference in what an individual child gets out of the program.

Both are great programs that have helped our kids (and ourselves) mature and establish a solid base for adulthood.

It almost sounds like your daughter is in what our Council calls a "Scouts in the School Day" program. It is one way they offer Scouting when they cannot field a tradional Troop in an area.

When my girls were Brownies we met weekly right after school in the school's "Scout Room". They did a lot of different things like earning Try-Its, camping, swimming at a nearby University pool, selling cookies, lock-ins, bowling, roller skating, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently a Cubmaster with a son who is a Webelos, and I'm very involved in all aspects of scouting and anticipate being so for the future. However, my son has 3 younger sisters- one a brownie one getting ready to start daisies. Is there a possible niche for an active Dad in Brownies or Girls Scouts? I wouldn't be the least bit interestd in any of the day-to-day meeting stuff (I've seen what they do) but I'd love to lead the outdoor stuff if/when they do any of it. Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of dads being active in Brownie/GSA and if there is a leader billet for 'Camping Guy'?

Cubmaster Joe

Yes, there are many Dads who are active in all aspects of GSUSA at all levels.

You can get registered and then take your Council's outdoor training. There should be 3 different trainings for the levels of camping progression. If you feel real ambitious you can take the First Aid / CPR training. After that there should be nothing stopping you and your girls from hitting the campgrounds!

Have fun!

I just felt an aneurysm coming on... you mean that none of my BSA outdoor training (Webelos Ldr Outdoor Trng, Wood Badge) will crossover and I have to start all over again with GS Outdoor Trng? There has to be a smarter way to do this considering that there are probably many Dads who end up doing both BSA and GSUSA and it's not practical to do two entire pipelines of training just because GSUSA and BSA remain unlinked. I'm guessing that GSUSA loses a lot of would-be GS Dads this way. Is there a web site somewhere that you recommend for GS Outdoor Training?

Cubmaster Joe

They are 2 separate organizations with 2 rather different ways of doing things. The rules & regs of GSUSA are not those of BSA.

That said, it is up to the individual GS Council if any of your BSA training carries over in any form. Some will recognize (at least partialy) curent training from other youth groups. Some will not.

Check out your GS Council's website and see if they have any info there. Then give them a call and talk to whoever is in charge of camping training.

Good Luck!