Lone scout Program???

Hi,

I am a long time boy scout leader with little experience with the GSUSA, so please excuse my ignorance.

My two daughters (now aged 10 and 9) both started out as Daisy's. The both completed, but only they younger was able to bridge because their was only one positon open in the unit. She now bridged to Juniors. My older daugher is still interested in Scouting activities but does not want to be doing crafts and housework, which is what most of the units in our town do. Another problem is that non of the units around here will take new members. We have been trying for two years but all the leaders say they are full. Of course she wants to be in a unit with gilrs the same age, thus not join her sisters unit.

She really enjoys doing scouting with me, but of course is too young for the Venturing program. We contacted the GSUSA council and was told first there was something called Girl Scouts Express and later a program called Juliet Lowe where girls can be members of the GSUSA but not have to belong to a troop. Kind of like the BSA lone Scout program. Does anyone know of this program??

Thanks

Girls can register as individual members of GSUSA. Many councils call them Juliettes. Your council might also have other ways that your daughter can experience Girl Scouts without being in a Troop (Girl Scout Express?).

Of course, if all of the Troops with girls your daughters age in your area are closed to new members, that might mean that there are quite a few girls out there, like your daughter, who are waiting for Troops. Have you thought of starting a new Troop yourself?

Thanks ScoutNut.

I will check out if I can register my daughter as an individual.

I originally volunteered with my wife to be a leader. The local scout organizers were very much against me being involved and told us that a husband and wife may not lead the same unit.

Now between being Cubmaster and Assistant District Commissioner (not to mention my full time job) I really can't devote myself to being a girl scout leader-however, I still help out my other daughter with awards and driving to trips.

Again, thanks for the help.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

This is the stuff of which my blood boils..

First off, troops are never supposed to be "full". Our council compromised on this and has leaders sign an agreement to take at least 10 girls into their troop. Still, leaders seem to think of the troop as "theirs" and turn away girls all the time. Nasty business there. Ick. Ick ick ick.

Secondly, yes, the Juliettes program is the fairly newish name for individual registrations. Girl Scout Express is probably your council's version of a girl scouts by mail tpye program that generally is an introduction to GS resources.

Thirdly, husbands and wives may indeed co-lead GS troops. The requirement is that whenever related adults lead a troop together, at least one other non-related leader is needed. Someone in the troop's adult leadership must be female.

I understand you are already volunteering, and you must choose where to best utilize your time and talents, but I urge you to please follow up these issues locally so that others are not similarly discouraged. A phone call to the council - ask for your area's field manager - this is the name of the council staff person who is supposed to supervise the volunteers in your service unit.

For further information, see if you can get your hands on a current edition of Safety-Wise (the GSUSA counterpart to G2SS).

In peace,

Anne in Mpls