"Whale Rider" - anybody seen this film?

Anne, I'm with you on the girls working together thing. I've been wracking my brain to think of a single one that does not involve women being victimized and then overcoming their oppressor. You know, concentration camp gals and such as that. NOT what you want to show young girls. I came up with plenty for boys working together, like "Holes" and "Stand by Me" but nothing for the girls! Hollywood, are you listening?

OGE, we all loved little Hailey. I remember being horrified when she cut off her long blond locks for "Parent Trap."

Hey, I'm really liking the possibilities in the original Parent Trap...

Now if I can just find a copy of it for sale :))

Jeepers, I think even us girls had a total crush on Haley Mills and Haley Mills! Did I say that?

Did you ever think of what the surfer movie title was?

Hmmm...Xena, Warrior Princess, huh?

Somebody suggested Totally Blonde II...

Still wracking my brain with the rest of you,

Anne in Mpls

Ok, it's not a movie yet, but it would be perfect...

The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong

one girl and 5 boys are the only students in a Dutch one room schoolhouse. Lina writes an essay about how migrating storks used to nest in their village, and the rest of the class rally to find a way to bring the storks back.

This is a movie that must be made :)

Anne in Mpls

B"lue Crush" is the girl surfer movie, it is rated PG-13, I dont know your target audience. Before we lose many more brain cells, what about Jean in Billy Jack? She is an accomplshed barrel rider, she runs the "freedom school" and she does it all on her terms. Or is that a reach?

Then again there is "Father Goose" with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron<

BTW, the first time I saw Pollyana, I cried myself to sleep, I couldnt understand why they would make her break her leg,(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• 3 months later...

I see it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread. But if you are still looking for a movie with a group of girls working together, try Bend It Like Beckham. It's a British film about two teen girls who play soccer, and how they handle their families support for their sport(or lack.) One girl is British,the other British-(Asian)Indian. The film is very funny and very engaging, the acting is great, the characters are very realistic.

I think it was rated PG-13, and I would not show it to younger girls, as there are some more mature themes - cultural clashes, deceiving parents, conflicts over boyfriends, sexual orientation for one male character, a small amount of bad language etc. There is nothing sexually explicit (I think one or two boy-girl kisses). But you may want to preview it for your group first. The other drawback is some of the accents are hard for our American ears to understand! I feel the positives far outweigh the negatives for this film.

In fact, our pastor at church showed this in his monthly movie activity for the church (see the movie, discuss it afterward) and everyone was very positive about it. It would be very good for Cadettes and Seniors.

• 1 month later...

In the original Star Wars saga, Princess Leia Organa was to be rescued by Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. She still must use her talent, wit, charm, and intelligence to escape the clutches of Darth Vader and the evil Empire with all the help provided. She is insightful and instrumental in each step along the route to eventual victory over the forces of evil and does it while remaining beautiful. She does not receive a medal for her services because of her real leadership role throughout the adventure. She even settles on marriage to the clown that rescued her. She is a leader that was unselfish in her giving to others for the sake of what is Good.

FB

My daughter loved "Bend it Like Beckham".

"Whalerider" I thought was terrific - yeah all kiwi's have a speech problem.

My daugther has watched "Mean Girls" a few times to. Very American and hits hard at girls being horrible at school - of course they all come through okay. Good talking points maybe.

Also try "Rabbit Proof Fence" for a real triumph against adversity and the system but it is very Australian and showing our stolen children side of Aboriginal oppression. It is a true story about girls escaping together from an 'orphanage' to return to their parents tribal area across deserts etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My family watched this film and loved it.

Another great film for girls and families that received little press is

"Rabbit Proof Fence." It is a true story about aborigine girls in the 1950's who are taken away from their village because they are half aborigine and half English and sent to a school to teach them to work in English homes. They escape several times and try to find their way over several months and hundreds of miles back to their village. An excellent film!!!