Calling all Girl Scouts

I have been involved with girl scouts for the past 9 years. My daughter joined brownies in first grade so she could sell cookies. The first year I just helped where I could, the next year I took on assistant leader, and a couple of years after that I took over as leader. 3 years ago I started a brownie troop for the girls we could not find a leader for. Currently, I am service unit director, service unit cookie manager, my troop cookie manager, and leader of the now mixed level troop I started 3 years ago. My daughter's troop has dwindled to just her, but she plans on staying in scouting and we'll get her in another troop. She has been a big help with the other troop and works wonderfully with the girls. Next year, I hope to be just working with the troops and maybe service unit cookie manager.

My poor son waited very impatiently to be old enough to join cub scouts. Until the past year or so, he thought he was a girl scout. He attend his first meeting at 2 weeks old. He is currently a tiger and I am committee chair for his pack (that's what I get for letting him choose his pack) and I am slowly prying the committe chair functions away from the cubmaster. He plans to be an Eagle Scout, so it looks like I'm in this for the long haul too.

Karen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

That's a lot of hats to wear! Sounds like you're already working to whittle that down :)

I understand about your cubmaster hanging on to those committee chair jobs - I singlehandedly kept our GS troop going through some rough times, and now that I have a troop committee chair, it's hard to let go! There's a lot of trust involved, and also a lot of doing stuff yourself without even realizing you've got someone competent to handle it. The best thing you can do is keep friendly communication going - that ball's in your court, because your cubmaster is already on "auto-pilot" :)

Again, welcome!

Anne in Mpls

Unfortunately, she has been trying to do it all without success. Fortunately, I've known her for years, so that should help in the transition.

And I wish Girl Scouts encouraged us to only wear one hat. I hate that they keep asking the same people to take on more and more while everyone else just sits back.

Karen

My name is Carol. I started Cub Scouts with my oldest son as his Tiger leader and he will be crossing over next week with his AOL. Next came my middle son last year as Tiger. This year my daughter FINALLY became a Girl Scout as a Daisy and I am her leader. So since last September I have been the leader in 2 dens and 1 troop. I was soooo ready to do 'girly' things!! We have 10 girls who are pretty much faithful. It is awesome. My husband is right along with me, he is Cubmaster, Scoutmaster and Service Unit Manager. I am also a committee member on the Boy Scout committee. I think those of us that are really committed to Scouting all wear multiple hats.

Gotta love this Scout stuff!

Carol

Welcome Carol :)

Neat to hear both you and your husband are active! And yes, I too tend to wear many *too many?!) hats...I've pared it down, loaded it up again, pared it down some more ;) Right now, I'm Troop Leader for Juniors & Cadettes, and a council outdoor trainer. And general fussy trouble-maker/instigator in our SU ;)

Trees! Fire! Knives! Yea Scouts!

Anne in Mpls

Right now our Brownie Troop is working on the "Her Story" Try-It, after just finishing the "Movers" Try-It. We just finished up our Cookie sales (thank God :) ) and the girls decided they would like to use their cookie profits to go to Seaworld or the local city Zoo. We probably made enough for the Zoo, so that's in the works. Also, the girls are in the process of planning their first Court of Awards for March 25.

Right now our Brownie Troop is working on the "Her Story" Try-It, after just finishing the "Movers" Try-It. We just finished up our Cookie sales (thank God :) ) and the girls decided they would like to use their cookie profits to go to Seaworld or the local city Zoo. We probably made enough for the Zoo, so that's in the works. Also, the girls are in the process of planning their first Court of Awards for March 25.

I have two daughters (twins) in Browinies getting ready to fly up to juniors in a couple of months. My son just crossed over to Boy Scouts. Since I was his den leader I now have more time to be involved with girl scouts. (I'm going to have my husband do all parenting responsibilities with Boy Scouts).

Does anyone know anything about the changes coming up in the girl scout program? We got a letter but no details yet. Makes planning hard.

Welcome Belinda!

I'm not sure what's going to get rolled out when either. Since your girls are flying up within a couple months, you can go ahead with the current program materials. The new program will come in as an "add-on" at least at the start. In other words, keep working the current program, badges & signs, and bronze award, do all the things good leaders of Junior GS do: girl-adult partnership, girl-planning, get outdoors as much as possible. When the new materials are released, your girls will choose whether or not they want to do it, just like choosing a badge to earn. Your girls will I think have the option of remaining in Juniors through 6th grade - this is open to local interpretation.

Anyway! Welcome!!

Anne in Mpls

My daughter is finally able to enjoy herself as a Dasiy Scout, instead of just a tag-along. My son is in his senior year of high school and just earned his Eagle. I have been his den leader, cubmaster, and a member of his troops committee. I am also a trainer and cub summer camp director.

We did a Mom & Me Daisy overnight in December, and my daughter asked if we were sleeping in the tent! She is so used to camping with us. I had to explain that for a while, her Girl Scouts camp in cabins. In May, they are having another Mom & Me overnight and there is the option to sleep in the camps platform tents. I told her we would do that.

Her GS Leader said that even though there are changes coming down in September, her troop will still bridge to Brownies in May. Because she is in the transitional year, she can be a Brownie for 3 years. Some Daisy troops in the area are electing to do Daisys for 2 years, others are going to bridge to Brownies after this year. It is confusing at times to me.

ccjj

I am a cadette leader, 10 girls in grades 8 and 9, I have been involved with this,my daughter's troop, for 9 years, when I stepped up to be leader when the initial leader quit mid year. I also have a 5th grade Webelos II, and we had our last den meeting last night. I have been their leader since Bears. They cross over on Friday night. All 6 boys have obtained Arrow of Light. Now I can get back to the girls. I am looking forward to more camping and leadership development with this group of girls. I also have worn the hats of SU manager, SU registrar, recruiter, and age level consultant at various points.

Sassafras

Welcome Sassafras! Looks like Cadettes are in for some interesting changes this year and next with the new program.

Joni - thanks for the update! your Brownies sound busy! How are the COA plans coming along?

Peace!

Anne in Mpls

It is fun to see some conversation in the GS forum! Thanks, Anne.

I'm Kim, finishing my 6th year as a troop leader, 4th year as day camp registrar, and 2d year as service unit manager. Troop leader is definitely the most fun! We have 17 Juniors ranging from 3rd through 6th grade. This spring, we have three campouts planned (one is an Outdoor Skills competition), and I just turned in paperwork to go kayaking. We also want to fit in canoeing and horseback riding before school lets out.

I'm also the advancements chair for my son's very active Boy Scout troop.

I spend a lot of time trying to pick out winning ideas from one organization and bring them to the other. Both BSA and GSUSA have some great programs, and some frustrations. I wish there were more places where we "bilinguals" could talk.

Best,

--Kim near Seattle