While looking for an alternative to GSUSA for my daughter, I did take a moment to look at AHG. While GSUSA is more open in their membership policies than BSA, GSUSA, at least in our area, has really de-emphasized the outdoor aspects of their programs, to the point of selling off their campgrounds. AHG certainly appears to have more outdoor activities, but their membership criteria seems to be even more restrictive than BSA. Their literature states a need not only for a belief in God, but also a belief in Christ as the Saviour. It appears that anyone else need not apply, so unless you're in a Christian religion, AHG may not be the organization for you.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you are correct in your statement that AHG is a Christian organization. Just as important, however, is the fact that it is a faith-based organization as evidenced in the first line of the AHG Oath, "I promise to love God."

However, AHG is NOT restrictive in MEMBERSHIP as you stated. It is open to all girl members of all faiths, ethnic backgrounds, etc. and does not descriminate in any shape or form regarding its girl members. You may have confused this restriction w/AHG's requirement that adult leaders, adult volunteers and the chartering/sponsoring church, school, etc. subscribe to AHG's Statement of Faith, which is in fact Christianity based.

Also, the degree of faith influence in a particular troop is completely driven by the direction of the chartering church, school, etc., and the troop's leaders and can differ just as people differ from one another. AHG is not a "religious" organization. It is not an offshoot of a particular faith denomination. It is simply a scouting program for girls with a Christian influence.

For me personally, I think AHG is one of those remaining things that's good in our society. THere's so much out there competing for our girls' hearts and minds. I wholeheartedly thank Patti Garibay, AHG's founder, for providing this scouting option.

Dear Nikitee,

It's great that you and your GSUSA troop have had such a wonderful experience and are indeed a model troop for others to follow. Troop success has a lot to do w/the leaders and how they connect w/the girls so you must have a great leadership team.

My issue w/GSUSA is more on a national level. I see nothing that concerns me in the GS troop in my neighborhood. Great girls. Great leaders. It's just that overrall, I simply do not agree w/the direction in which GSUSA (national) is headed. Organizational direction eventually trickles down to regional councils, etc.

The media has been full of stories over the last few years about GSUSA and Planned Parenthood relationship fiascoes. There are youth conferences in other cities where young girls (even as young as 11) are exposed to issues that in my opinion should be handled within the family. There's a scouting organization out there for everyone. American Heritage Girls simply works for my family just as Boy Scouts of America works for tens of thousands across the nation.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: American Heritage Girls (AHG) - Good on them! I have had a look at their website and liked everything that I saw except that the latest additions were in autumn, 2004, almost a year ago. One of the photos is of an Venturing advisor with her arm around an AHG girl. Hmmmmmm . . . .

Seems that AHG is flying straight into the face of the ACLU("All Crying Loudly in Unison") with their "I promise to love God" as the first line of their promise. Theses girls aren't fooling around. Five words. It takes us boy scouts 19 words to mention God. Given recent history, that is a display of real strength of character! And wanting schools and churches to serve as chartering organizations (Where have I heard that term before???). Wow!

This is an outfit that bears watching.

I am an adult scouter. I had 8 years of experience as a youth Girl Scout (until my troop folded), 10 to 11 years years of experience as an adult Girl Scout assistant leader and apprentice leader trainer, and 14 years of experience in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts as a Cubmaster, an assistant leader, committee member, and advancements chairman.

I have a daughter who was a Girl Scout for 8 years until she announced "GIRL SCOUTS IS FOR LOSERS" (and she still refuses to listen to anything to do with Girl Scouts or have any more to do with the programs GSUSA offers). I have a son who has been a Cub/Boy Scout or adult scouter for the last 14 years. He made Eagle and is now an adult member of his old troop. He is presently in college and is considering helping as leadership in a new Cub Scout pack.

Recently, I had a chance to look over some of this new Studio 2B information I've been hearing about - and I can frankly say that if either I or my daughter had been exposed to this stuff when we were in GSUSA, we would have round-filed it immediately and gone to find more challenging, less expensive activities.

To the girls who are dealing with this idiocy and doesn't like being treated like she's a brainless twit - listen up. Any girl who is 14 and up is eligible (and encouraged) to join a BSA Venturing Crew and do all those things the Boy Scouts do - canoeing, rock climbing, white water, camping, and all the rest - as well as learn how to be strong leaders and citizens. I know of two Girl Scout troops within 100 miles of where I live who have dual memberships - they do Girl Scouts for the Gold & Silver awards, and they do Boy Scouts and Venturing for all the rest.

The only requirement of Venturing leadership is, a female leader has to take BSA leadership and youth protection training and be prepared to go along with all the rest of the unit (and male leaders) on the campouts and other activities in order to provide "co-ed" leadership.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up reading through this thread after I finished looking for information on GSUSA Cadette aged girls. I am a Cub Scout leader, and was in Cub, Webelos, and Boy Scouts as a youth. My wife is a Girl Scout leader and was a Girl Scout in her youth. All three of our children are scouts. My daughters have just completed their bronze awards and are moving up to what used to be a cadette level troop, but according to the GSUSA website, will only be called studio 2B now, not just an alternate program, but the entire program for girls over 11 according to GSUSA.

Frankly, I'm horrified at the direction that GSUSA has taken. I truly believe that this program will prove to be the largest programmatic mistake that GSUSA has ever made. Girls do not need charms for their bracelets, they need to develop leadership skills and character. You don't develop self-esteem by talking about... self esteem, you build a history of esteemable acts. Is the gold award really going to be the gold award CHARM? I am saddened that my daughters and their friends will not be able to advance through cadettes and then seniors if this madness continues.

Leadership is what maintains a good program. Develop leadership and you will continue to reinvigorate the program. My Wife's friend Karen, for example, is just ending her leadership of a Troop. The Troop is ending because the girls are graduating High School. They have been together since brownies. A full Decade of scouting for these girls. No charms, just excellent leadership, accomplishment and adventure. They recently took a trip out west to see Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon as a Troop. They've been white water rafting, rock climbing, kayaking, backpacking and mountain biking. Yes, they've done their nails too, but usually while winter camping or sleeping aboard an aircraft carrier! They are the strongest, brightest and best of their age in our town, and, they did not get one single bracelet charm becoming that way.

Karen's girls have extraordinary self-esteem, but they did not get it by being told to have it. They developed it and grew and grew and grew. Can a program based on peers "hanging out" really deliver this sort of character development? I really do not think it can.

I was glad to see so many people greeting this change with similar opinions to mine. I agree with some of the previous respondents that it could be a very good program for nontraditional girl scout units. I do not believe that this change is in the best interests of either GSUSA or the girls currently enrolled in the program as a whole however. They will lose membership to BSA's coed Venturing program as Girls and their parents seek adventure and character development, over expensive and sparkly fluff.