I just finished my first year as a Service Unit manager and was wondering what types of activities other Service Units do. We had a pool party, a Father/Daughter event, and a Mother/Daughter sleepover. We talked about other events but couldn't quite pull them together.

My daughter's service unit stuff Christmas stocking for the Salvation Army.

I often hear of activities that get canceled because there aren't enough girls from a troop going or that parents aren't available. I think that it is a shame that the troops in a given area don't work together more to provide a synergy.

For example Troop 1 is planning a trip to the zoo but it turns out that only two girls can go so the trip is canceled. However, if Troops 2 and 3 knew about the planned trip, maybe enough of their girls would want to go to make the outing worthwhile.

Yes, that happens with us too. One of my goals this year as a troop leader is to invite other troops to some of our activities. We already have plans for a fall campout with another troop. I attempted to initiate service projects for the entire service unit but it never happened last year, so I hope this year to get that going. I presented some ideas last year ('birthday bags' for the food pantry, writing to the military through a Red Cross program, goodwill collection) but only a few troops took me up on them.