Favorite Eagle BOR questions

It's a little bit off the wall, but I always ask them if they've ever encountered an emergency or life-threatening situation that put their Scout skills to the test.

If they have, we talk about it for a minute.

If they haven't, I promise them they will -- Scout Stuff is Real Stuff -- always be prepared.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one, Rooster! But seriously, I like the 13th point question(mk9750) as well as the ones asking why the boy thinks he should receive the award. My favorite is what personal virtue is fundamental to every point of the law and every part of the oath. I like to hear their development of the idea to find out if they have thought about the oath and law, not necessarily the answer (but it's nice to do a good job there as well).

Eagle74,

Once someone used that as a follow up question. I thought the boy's head was going to explode! He wanted so much to have an answer, but he just couldn't choose one. Finally, we let him off the hook by asking him which Point he struggles with the most.

If you enjoy watching a boy squirm during a BOR, that's a great question to ask. But I decided it wasn't a fair question, so I've never asked it.

Mark

Mark,

Finally, we let him off the hook by asking him which Point he struggles with the most. If you enjoy watching a boy squirm during a BOR, that's a great question to ask.

If the boy takes that question seriously, I can understand why. It's kind of like asking someone at a church's new members class, "What sin do you struggle with the most?" Nevertheless, if the setting is right, and the number of people present is small (and understand the concept of confidentiality), I think its an excellent question. It forces the Scout to do some self-examination, beyond "What makes me so great that I should deserve this honor?" I think its my favorite on this thread so far. I appreciate a lot of the aforementioned questions, but I cant help but think that many Scouts have prepackaged answers for many of them. I like questions that truly challenge the boy to think on his feet. In fact, I wouldnt mind if some of the questions in the Issues and Politics thread, were presented to my son during his BOR. So long as the people reviewing my son did not use their own politics as a yardstick to determine the acceptability of his answer. I dont appreciate the liberal position; I am very conservative (as you all probably know). But, I can usually recognize a well-reasoned argument, a humble heart, and good intentions, even when they may be contrary to my own beliefs. That being said, I have no problem with those kinds of questions being asked by good-hearted and fair-minded adults, whether they are liberal or conservative.

Heres a list of questions that I would love to hear the answers to, but probably would make a lot of adults nervous (parents and committee members alike):

Are you liberal, conservative, or somewhere in between? And, why do you believe so?

A lot of people say they believe in God. Do you think it makes a difference which God they believe in and why?

Do you think people are naturally good or evil? Why?

Are there any problems that mankind cannot solve? Why or why not?

Do you think the troop is running the BSA program the way it is supposed to be? Why or why not?

And as Mark suggested (but doesnt necessary think is fair) What moral principle do you struggle with the most? And, what are you doing about it?

I would hope that an Eagle Scout Board of Review would be a positive supportive experience for a scout. One that he would remember without squirming.

I agree that the best line of questioning is based around his understanding of the Law and Oath, what he has learned about leadership and teamwork, what he feels he has gained through scouting and what the troop and patrol has gained from him.

As far as why he thinks he deserves the award.. because he completed the tasks he was told he had to do to recieve it. It is not a matter of "what did he do to deserve it", he "earned" it.

As far as whether the scout thinks the troop followed the program...remember that all he knows of the program is in his handbook. Nowhere does the handbook discuss the mission, aims, or methods of scouting. This is a question better aimed at the scoutmaster on occassion than to a scout.

Bob White

I never meant to say or imply that the Scout did not earn the award. But an Eagle BOR shouldn't simply be an opportunity for the Scout to beat his chest either. If he's truly earned the rank, which is partially why you have a review process, then he certainly can answer a few tough questions. If he cannot be challenged to think on his feet, particularly at this level, then I think Eagle Scout has a different meaning to you than it does to me.

As to the program question, perhaps your response might be his answer. Or, maybe, after being involved in the program for several years, he's actually learned something about it and can offer his perspective. Asking the question, particularly if he's given a little feedback, is not going hurt the program. In fact, he may be able to offer some insight that otherwise was go unnoticed.

I never suggested that we should ask, "Why do you deserve the honor? I said tough questions forces a Scout to think about himself in a critical manner. He has to challenge himself and acknowledge his past, not only as to where he's excelled, but where he has failed. At least, thats what I was trying to say. But if I did ask that question (which I think would be reasonable), then perhaps the Scout would respond just as you suggested - "I deserve it because I earned it!" As someone already mentioned, his confidence level in this response would be most telling.

At some point in time, a Scout is no longer a tenderfoot who needs be coddled and treated as if hes china. At some point, we want him to show signs of growth, maturity, and strong character perhaps that time is when becomes an Eagle?(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Rooster the original poster asked what our favorites were. Mine happen to be in the areas I expressed, and I explained why.

We see the board of review differently. I see it as a review of what scouting has shared with the scout and what the scout has shared with scouting. Some see it as a challenge or gauntlet for the scout to run. Others use it to see if the scout can think on his feet.

I don't see how you can test him on materials that were not a part of his training or experience and be able to "judge" his answers as far as it concerns his Eagle Rank. But that is just how I see it. Was there something in what I wrote that you felt was not in keeping with the advancemnt guidelines or regulations of the program?

I don't see having questions that are fair and relevent to the purpose of the BOR as being coddling.

Yarrow asked for input, that's mine.

Bob White

Rooster,

I reread my post and see that I may have been confusing.

The question about which Point of the Law the Scout would drop made the boy squirm, because he felt that there were none that deserved to be ommitted. When he couldn't answer that question is when we gave him an out and asked which Point he struggles with in his life. This was much easier for him, as we ask a similiar question in rank BORs.

Although I don't feel there is any value trying to make a Scout squirm, if it happens to happen, it is interesting to find out the underlying reasons. In my instance, this young man basically refused to consider the Scout Law without all 12 Points. Although I knew the boy well, and was not suprised by his response, the others on the BOR had a very high opinion of him after that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mark

My favorite thing to do at an Eagle Board of Review isnt a question that I ask. At the end of the interview, I excuse the scout and then the attendees and I discuss the scout and his answers. If the Committee agees he should be an Eagle scout, the candidate is brougt into the room, I am standing at attention, I ask him, with his full name as written on the Eagle Application, to give the scout sign and recite the Scout Oath. While he talks, I get in front of him, when he completes it, I then shake his hand, in the Boy Scout manner of course, and congratulate him on being the Council's "newest" Eagle. Scouts and scouters often remark its the one thing they remember most, shaking the hand while the scout is proclaimed an Eagle.

It is important that we adults remember that this is a review.

We are dealing with a boy who has all sorts of emotions and feelings.

This Board has a lot of people that he may not know very well, and is not at ease.

We too have promised "To Help Other People" Along with being Kind.

That sounds like a verymoving and memorable experience OGE. One note of caution. He is not an Eagle yet. The Eagle rank is the only one where that the scout does not ascend to the rank at the successful completion of the Board of Review.

He is not an Eagle until after National has reviewed and accepted the Eagle package, which is weeks later. Once National deems the scout has completed the rank they will back date the award to the date of the BOR. (see The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual)

You would be more accurate to say "Congratulations on the successful completion of your Eagle Board of Review. Once the National Office has reviewed and accepted your Eagle Packet you will be notified of your attainment of the Eagle Rank."

Just a suggestion,

Bob

>>We see the board of review differently. I see it as a review of what scouting has shared with the scout and what the scout has shared with scouting. Some see it as a challenge or gauntlet for the scout to run. Others use it to see if the scout can think on his feet.

Bob White, I am curious. Assuming the candidate and Eagle board have done things properly and all the dates and features of the forms are correct, what basis would national have to do anything OTHER than approve? Is there anything they can know that the board would not?

Packsaddle,

National will confirm membership dates, advancement dates, Merit Badge mix and other details to make sure that everything is correct and the Rank has been reached. There have been times when incorrect merit badge counts, lapses in membership, age misrepresentation and other factors have detained or with held the rank.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)