Favorite Eagle BOR questions

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple come to mind.

What merit badge did you get the most out of? Why?

What merit badge did you not feel like you really earned? Why?

What has Scouting meant to you and how has it changed you?

Of course the more mature the Scout the more enlightening the last question can be.

yis

Well, the one I always ask is this: Please explain to us, based on your scouting experiences both outdoors and within your training of younger Scouts, why you feel you are ready to recieve the rank of Eagle.

This usually separates the true Eagles from the one that are not yet ready.

ASM514

On this forum, mine has always been -

Why do you think homosexuals should or should not be banned from Scouting?

Just joking guys...try to relax ;-)

Although...I would be interested in hearing some Eagle candidates answer that question. Unfortunately, I doubt if most folks talk enough with their children for the typical Scout to provide a thoughtful answer.

A good follow-up question to Ed's would be...

OK, now tell me why you think we should approve your application for Eagle...

What I always looked for by that question was the level of confidence that the candidate could put forth that his abilities, his energies, his leadership, and his performance were worthy of the Eagle Award. I used to get the biggest kick out of hearing a worthy candidate, in response telling me that..."I deserve it. I've earned it." Indeed!!

Hurrah for the boy who you know deserves it....and he knows, too. Confidence without being overly self-assured.

I usually ask:

Scouting is it a Lifestyle or Label?

Were there any set backs to your project and if so what did you do about it?

How do you plan to give back to Scouting?

Matua

(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

To boys that show up wearing a partial uniform:

Why do you think it is important for the new Scouts in the troop that bridged from Webelos to wear the uniform, and how can the rest of the troop encourage that? Or do you feel there are good reasons why your troop does not need to wear the uniform?

I'm looking for a "set the example" response, or thoughtful reasons why a uniform is not needed. If the boy says that he thinks uniforms are important, I follow up with something about taking actions that match our stated beliefs and point to his partial uniform.

Applicable for any BOR, IMHO -

Best time as a Scout? Worst time as a Scout?

One boy at first class BOR said - Best = summer camp, hands down .... worst = honor guard at Memorial day service ... 2.5 hours at attention in uniform in hot sun. He then went on to add that the worst time really taught him something about respect for the miillitary and their sacrifices, and he was glad that he had done it. His eloquence on the subject blew away the committee members.

I always ask:

"If there was a 13th point to the Scout Law, what should it be?"

I also spend a lot of time asking about how as an Eagle Scout the candidate will give back to Scouting and his community.

And one that I have heard a couple of times from someone else:

"Is it more important to meet a goal or maintain your integrity?" At the beginning of the BOR, this person usually tries to put a Scout at ease by saying that there are no right or wrong answers. At the end, he always admits that this one does have a right answer to him. I'm proud to say that every Eagle in our Troop has gotten this one right.

Mark

Thank you all for your suggestions. I used many and picked some off line. I borrowed a uniform shirt, neckerchief and belt, but other than the district guy I was the only one wearing it. I felt a bit foolish as I don't usually wear one.