I may need clarification on this, but I thought the COR (Charter Organization Representative) was part of the troop. I know our regularly attends committee meetings.

If pointing out errant behavior of another gets you a warning about your son, maybe that leadership change you are contemplating is the best choice. I just hate to think of the all the times on this forum where the apparently good guy is the one to leave while a diseased group of individuals get to run a program wearing Boy Scout uniforms

If you know in your heart that this guy/troop is wrong and that there are other people who have either witnessed the behavior or agree with you, then I think that it is your obligation to the boys you serve now and the boys that will be served by the troop after you are gone, to go down fighting. I would not quietly walk into the sunset, instead, I'd upset the proverbial apple cart. The questions I would ask the CC and committee are

is this the type of influencing behavior you want for the boys?

Could you explain to me how telling me that I am on thin ice and excusing poor behavior on the ASM part is part of the scouting program. And further this follows the golden rule how?

Personally, I'd be P.O.'d and probably press charges against this guy. I'd also have another chat with the C.O.R.

OGE - many units never see their COR, ours never does.

JB,

I understand the situation in my troop is unusual. The COR is the Pastor of the church and did serve as Troop Treasurer. It does help his son is a Life Scout in the troop as well. My comment was sorta tongue in cheek. Going to the COR shouldnt be considered going outside the troop, after all, as has been gone over here, its the COR that gets to approve or deny leadership positions in the unit. WHy wouldnt you tell the COR if you have concerns, especailly those witnessed by youth and adults alike

Hi Eagle Foot

What ever you choose, stay or not, you have improved the program by bringing this problem up front. I hope you stay.

My prayers and thoughts are this burdon will be taken off of you.

Barry

• 1 month later...

I KNOW IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE ALL THIS WENT DOWN BUT I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT THE TROOP COMMITTEE PUT THE SCOUTMASTER AND SOME OF THE BOYS ON NOTICE BECAUSE THEY OBJECTED TO THE ASM. I WOULD WANT OUT OF THIS TROOP!

Eaglefoot, This is another example of why I believe a sense of humor always helps. Being one of your neighbors, I too have encountered similar situations, just not in my troop. Thankfully my troop is really good this way. I think there have been good suggestions for troop internal responses.

My response to other angry leaders varies but most of the time those guys are frustrated and just blowing off steam. You can usually sense this and they usually don't really want to knock your block off. I calmly ask first, "Is that really what you want to do?" If this throws them for a loop (and it does most of the time) we settle down to a discussion of what they really want. If possible I work some food into the equation.

But sometimes they do want to knock my block off. If it's a short guy I point out that even though he has the inclination, he likely doesn't have the weight and I just walk away. If he's really big, I try the Abraham Lincoln method (since I have the choice of weapons) and suggest cow flops at 20 paces. Then I walk away. Or run if necessary (I have noticed that usually the big guys in Scouting will practically die within 50 meters). And so far my head is still connected. FYI, this last one (cow flops) would be a good way to end another thread (from the desk of a pompous, arrogant, pedantic, closeminded bookthumper). But, come to think of it, throwing stuff around is mostly what they're doing over there already.

Acco40,

10-4 on those chips. But the designation of 'pie' I strictly reserve for food items. Let's see, cow-pie, that could be meat loaf?

FYI, A couple of my other favorite euphemisms include 'meadow muffin' (another verboten food reference), and 'meadow mound'.

Up Date........

sctmom & caddmommy

I stepped down form the position. If you have to convience members of the committee that when one of them threatens another then you have problems. They are friends...at our committee meeting this guy even said he was going to hit me and if I approached him again he may do it. His words were him or me *^@!!&*%%. Then he left the room. He wasen't playing...

To me this is a no brainer---duaaaa...why would I have to convience the troop committe this is wrong. They were ticked he left. Sometimes spit happens. These folks all started in cubs...they had their way of doing things.

Sure I could have him ousted, personal law suit, or any of the other types of charges one would bring to somebody who intends to do bodily harm. Best thing to do....find another group...when the whole is blind you are up against some pretty stiff odds.

A lot of times folks will say nothing because they don't want to hurt feelings. I've seen this before... I can replace adults, the group is more concerned about getting the trouble makers (at least what they thought) out of the troop. Seems like to me the boys who have a few problems are the ones who really need scouting.

Eagle Foot, please don't just let this go now. You mentioned the boys. They are in a Troop with apparent disregard for their welfare. I understand your leaving, but having left, now be sure to document why. Perhaps a letter explaining your concerns addressed to the COR and the District and/or Council. They should know what is happening. What they do about it is up to them. As for the ASM thinking that you have jeopardized his position in Council--no, you didn't. His own actions did that.

eaglefoot,

Sorry to hear you stepped down. Sounds like this group needs som serious help and maybe anger management!

Good luck in your endevors. You should look for a new Troop. I'm sure another unit would welcome you with open arms.

How about cow tipping!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Eagle Foot,

I sincerely hope you will reconsider and maybe start your own troop. I have found over the many years that I've been involved in Scouting that those parents, IH's or CR's that won't stay involved in the troop are truly afraid of being "stuck" with running things if they make waves. I've never understood that philosophy, I'd be more afraid of my child being harmed or taught the wrong things......but to each his/her own.

I do feel that you have a lot to contribute to the lives of youth. I've read some of your posts and don't find that I'd be hard pressed to support the Scouting in your own troop.

You have a start, go with it! I'm sure your DE would like to help you find a sponsor.

Sharon