Should Cubs camp at Camporees?

I would like to know the many varied thoughts on this subject. Should cub packs camp at camporees like the troops do?

Or should the cub packs camp at a different cub venue, i.e. their own camporee.

Do you think this takes away from the boy scout camporee program, which is set up for a weekend of camping.

Do you think this would diminish the excitement that a cub has in looking forward to joining boy scouts.

I do believe/encourage webelos dens to camp with a troop at all camporees, this thread is directed at cub packs camping alongside troops.

Your thoughts?

No. The requirements for Cub camping are different. The expectations are different and the required level of comfort for the parents and Cubs are different. Having the Cubs camp along side of the Boy Scouts at Camporees will push the program down to the Cubs. Also keep in mind that from what I understand, not necessarily agree with, Webelos are allowed at Camporees for the day to observe, but not participate for these very reasons.

At the risk of being sexist, I believe (first) that Boy Scout Camporees would be a wonderful way for a Dad and his Cub Scout son(s) to spend an afternoon observing the activities the Boy Scouts are involved with. What a great bonding opportunity. (Secondly) Understanding there are tons of single parents it would also be a great opportunity for a Mom and her son(s). Cubs should not camp or visit as a den in Camporees. Camporees are not age appropriate for Cubs.

Cub Scouts no. 2nd year Webelos yes.

When we hold camporees in my district, there is usually a Cub Scout camporee included. It is only for one day but the Cubs get to see how & what teh Boy Scouts do. Sort of wet their whistle. This works well.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I have seen it done both ways and both ways seem to work. First of all, only Webelos are allowed to camp overnight at all. Having cubs of all levels visit and observe the camporee is a great recruiting vehicle. In that district where joint Webelos and Boy Scout camporees were held on the same dates and the same location, there were completely different activities for the Webelos. It seemed to work well and I never heard any complaints.

It's late and I don't have the book in front of me, but aren't Cubs, including Webelos, prohibited from camping at district events, i.e. camporees? I believe the logic is that a Camporee is an event planned around Scout-level activites which may not be appropriate for younger boys. Webelos-Troop campouts are supposed to be planned with age-appropriate activities for the Webelos. Cubs and Webelos may attend Camporees as spectators.

We're headed for camp first thing tomorrow, hopefully someone else will provide the proper citation.

twocubdad is correct. Cubs & Webelos are not allowed to camp overnight at camporees. This is a National policy. Makes no sense to me! Can anyone explain it?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

From page 33-4 of the Cub Scout Leader book:

"Webelos Scouts should not spend the night as participants at the event if the program is Boy Scout-based."

In my district, the Fall camporee has seperate daytime programs for Cubs, Webelos, and Scouts, and Webelos are invited to camp with a Troop.

Does that sound acceptable?

I don't know about BSA "rules", but in the federal regulatory arena, there is a legal distinction between "should" and "shall". "Should" is a recommendation. "Shall" is mandatory. Since the BSA has left it ambiguous, my opinion is that it's a unit option.

Could I ask a favor...next time we quote "National Policy", could you provide us the publication or reference where it's written? Thanks, borninthe60s for doing this. I have found that, often, when I go look up the actual language, it doesnt' really say what I thought it did.

Well, my troop has a lot of webelos stolen from us so to speak by other troops so we invitet the 2nd year webelos to a seperate campout we hold at an adult leader's wooded property for Jamboree on the Air. We set up a special program for the webelos to introduce them to the troop and what we do. It seems to be working. You know, I just thought of something last night. CUbs spend five years learning skills, and in my council they only get to camp out two nights at cub resident camp. There should be more camouts for the cubs I think.

I'm not so sure about a "National policy". Our Webelos 1 and Webelos 11 dens went to Camporee this spring with different troops and had a blast. They included our boys into their patrols and let them compete with them. I know, I know.....ain't suposed to happen. None of the events were of a physical nature that would prohibit the Webelos from joining in. One event was having to tie a rock to a rope and throw it a certain distance into a circle. Anoter was a timed tent set up. Other events were orienteering and calculating the height of a flagpole. Although we were in the same campsite, our den was at the opposite end of the site from the patrols camp. Judging by the number of Webelos dens at the Camporee, it is a heavy recruiting tool here. I even saw a number of Bears there too. Now I think that is a little too early and they should not have been there.

I appreciate the answers. The reason I ask, for the last two years, cub packs in our district feel they are being slighted by not being allowed to camp at the camporees.

2 yr. Webelos are welcome to camp at any camporee in our district, as long as they are with a troop.

Camporees are Boy Scout events. The activities center around skills that are developed in the Boy Scout program. Cubs don't learn Boy Scout skills in the Cub Program. Cubs have their own age appropriate events. Do Boy Scouts feel slighted because they are not invited to Pinewood Derby, Cub Day Camp, Bike Rodeo, or Cub-Parent weekend?