OA ballot problem question

BDPT00,

As a Chapter Advisor who oversees the election teams, I beg to differ. WE absolutely need the SM involved. We can't do an election without him. He determines, prepares and certifies the ballot. He or his designee is part of the ballot counting process and he provides the contact information for each elected candidate. In a sense, he is the gate keeper to the whole process. My biggest frustration is that after sending two detailed and informative letters to assist them in streamlining the process, all that many of them do is read set a date and nothing else.

You're absolutely right. I didn't state that very well.

A Scoutmaster who understands how it works, and does what he's told is a huge asset.

What I'm referring to is one who tries to manipulate the process (like telling new Scouts to vote yes for people they don't even know!). I think that some Scoutmasters see elected Scouts as notches on their belt, and they're very disappointed when the number selected is low. Or the ones who try to alter the results because someone they put on the eligible list got elected, and now they realize it was a mistake to put him on the list in the first place. I've seen Scoutmasters speak to their Scouts just ahead of the team. It's clear that they're telling the kids to vote for all of them.

Part of my post didn't make the cut. What I meant was that Scoutmasters who actively try to influence the vote by giving their opinion regarding how to vote and why are a big problem. That job belongs to the election team. If they're well trained, nobody has a problem. The Scoutmasters might well be assuming that the team won't do a good job, so he's "helping" them.

BDPT00

I wonder if late spring is really rthe best time to conduct OA elections.

It seems to me that would often be right after a new bunch of Webelos Scouts have entered the troop, and they may not have much of an idea of who is who.

That might tend to lead to Scoutmasters suggesting people to vote for, lest no new Scouts not vote and cause few Scouts to be selected for OA.

Several factors play into when elections are done. My district has a history of doing them in the Fall, just before the district camporee. I like it that way as we combine a camp promo and election in one nite.